Home Main Category Clubhouse

Unusual Catch of the Day

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,119 Senior Member
edited February 2019 in Clubhouse #1
Last year when fishing in our favorite fishing hole my wife accidentally threw one of our fishing poles overboard.  We joked about catching it sometime in the future when we were fishing there again.  Welcome to the future.  Yep, today my wife caught the fishing pole she threw out of the boat last year.  :D
I think the rod is salvageable, not sure about the reel.  I will clean it up and see.  I caught a 14" bass and she hooked but did not land a very large unidentified fish that had enough teeth to chew through 50 lb test leader.  It broke the line just as I was reaching over the side of the boat with the landing net.  The part of the fish that broke the surface was somewhere between 20" to 24" long.
On the way back to the boat ramp I was able to snap this pic, but my phone camera really doesn't do it justice:

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    That reel should be all right if it hasn't rusted up. Suspend it in a can of motor oil and let it soak a few days. That should help loosen it up.
    Nice bass! That's also a mighty fine stand of what looks like cypress trees in the background, too.
    And that sunset looks mighty good. Should be nice weather tomorrow. Might want to go fishin' again!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,712 Senior Member
    nice fish.

You can use fuel oil to soak that reel too; what ever is cheaper.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    Salvaging the rod and reel will be neat, even just as a novelty.  Little plaque saying released 2/20/18  recaught 2/23/19.

Fish with that many teeth and length = Gar
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    That reel should be all right if it hasn't rusted up. Suspend it in a can of motor oil and let it soak a few days. That should help loosen it up.
    Nice bass! That's also a mighty fine stand of what looks like cypress trees in the background, too.
    And that sunset looks mighty good. Should be nice weather tomorrow. Might want to go fishin' again!
    Yes, that is a nice stand of cypress trees and since we didn't use up all the shiners we are going fishing again tomorrow.  :D
    edited February 2019 #6
    Diver43 said:

Fish with that many teeth and length = Gar
    I have caught gar in that spot before, one of which was about 48"  However, I got a good enough look at it to know it was not a gar.  From the shape of the head I thought it was a catfish until I took a look at the line where he bit it off.  I suspect it may have been a very large bowfin.  I didn't think they got that big, but according to the FWC website they can grow over 28" 
    Here is a pic of one I caught about 3 years ago a mile or so upriver from where we were today .

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,906 Senior Member
    After I posted bowfin came to mind, but didn't think they got that big. They are one mean fish though
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #8
    Is that a Zebco?  Looks almost like a variant of the 33 series of reels.  Then again most spincast reels look about the same.  Still a neat catch for stories later.

Generally by me, if you loose a line due to a cut off near the lure its a pike.  Im stuck shore fishing, but if I know a lot of pike are in the area I usually throw a steel leader on my line.  I got lucky the one time I landed a pike as the lure hooked i a way that the line couldnt really get close enough to the teeth to be cut off.

This is from a couple years ago when the wife caught her first pike.  My right hand is covering where a bigger pike took a swipe at it while it was being reeled in.

I think it is a Zebco 33 series, I will have to check.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,159 Senior Member
    33's used to be the real deal. Now there is too much plastic in them. I once caught a 20#+ carp on a 70's vintage 33 and 8# mono.....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    After I posted bowfin came to mind, but didn't think they got that big. They are one mean fish though
    I have caught a lot of Bowfin while Pike fishing...used to hang a 3" Shiner hooked under the dorsal under a bobber and let it swim around the lake...caught as many Bowfin as we did Pike...tough, toothy and armor plated...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Any of youse eat those bowfin?

I tried, properly cooked meat cut in small pieces swells  while chewing.
    Not wroth the effort unless your starving.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Mudfish have an enzyme in them that degrades the meat upon death. You basically have to kill them, clean them immediately, then immediately cook them.

Or eat something else. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #14
    mitdr774 said:
    Is that a Zebco?  Looks almost like a variant of the 33 series of reels.  Then again most spincast reels look about the same.  Still a neat catch for stories later.

Generally by me, if you loose a line due to a cut off near the lure its a pike.  Im stuck shore fishing, but if I know a lot of pike are in the area I usually throw a steel leader on my line.  I got lucky the one time I landed a pike as the lure hooked i a way that the line couldnt really get close enough to the teeth to be cut off.

This is from a couple years ago when the wife caught her first pike.  My right hand is covering where a bigger pike took a swipe at it while it was being reeled in.

I once caught a pike fishing off the dock at the Detroit River. When I casted, the spoon wraped a pylon before entering the water. Upon attempted retrieval the convoluted result was a pike tangled in the line hanging from an inaccessible pylon. I wound up using an inflatable raft/boat to get my line untangled and release the unfortunate fish. Ive had many such fishing misadventures, and am likely fortunate that youtube and smartphone video was along time in the future.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,030 Senior Member
    A grennel (bowfish) is one of those very few fish that you see and immediately know  "I 'aint eating that".

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,917 Senior Member
    A grennel (bowfish) is one of those very few fish that you see and immediately know  "I 'aint eating that".

Mike
    Saw a guy try to lip a Bowfin like a bass once....it was hilarious...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,090 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I made that mistake as a teenager.. ONCE
    Around here they're called Grinnel
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Jayhawker said:

Mike
    I was warned about that; however, I have saved several peoples thumbs by stopping them
    and using a pliers to show them the teeth.

I guess it would have been a life lesson to let them proceed, but, then I would have had to wipe up all the blood in the boat.