Home Main Category Clubhouse

Feelin' old...

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    I had a couple of those code books and used to copy the Basic code into my C64 much like you did with the Vic 20.  It took a helluva lot of dedication to get even one game working properly (troubleshooting syntax erros, etc.), but I had little more to do over weekends back in the early 80's, so...
    The best way is to get somebody to read it to you and you just type. Much faster and less errors.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #33
    zorba said:
    Yep - just like the above IMSAI. A lot of the early "Big Iron" was similar, although I have no personal experience with that. What computer(s) did you toggle in boot loaders for?
    DEC among others...  One of these was my first computer when I was in high school.

No good deed goes unpunished...
    PDP-8? 11?
    Never messed with VAXen or DEC, pretty much a micro computer guy - but I did write my first BASIC program on a Univac 90/70. I can still remember some of the commands for that system - like I'll ever need that again.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba said:
    PDP-8? 11?
    Never messed with VAXen or DEC, pretty much a micro computer guy - but I did write my first BASIC program on a Univac 90/70. I can still remember some of the commands for that system - like I'll ever need that again.
    Sorry, I can't say any more about that because it was military stuff.

Below is the first production program I ever wrote back in 1984, minus the data to make it function:

8080 code.

zorba said:
    8080 code.
    Yup, exactly right.
    Gila said:
    zorba said:
    8080 code.
    Yup, exactly right.
    You might get a chuckle out of this - its pretty geektastic...

Years back, playing French Horn in a band, somebody had scrawled something on the sheet music that looked like "C9". C9, as you may recall, is the 8080 "Return" instruction. I saw that, and before I knew what I was doing, I attempted to "return". Return where? I didn't know, so I started playing from the top.
    Talk about cognitive dissonance...

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Six-Gun said:
    I had a couple of those code books and used to copy the Basic code into my C64 much like you did with the Vic 20.  It took a helluva lot of dedication to get even one game working properly (troubleshooting syntax errors, etc.), but I had little more to do over weekends back in the early 80's, so...
    The best way is to get somebody to read it to you and you just type. Much faster and less errors.
    Probably very true, but I was an only child for a good while and no way in hell my dad was going to do 1,000+ code lines of dictation. :D
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Probably very true, but I was an only child for a good while and no way in hell my dad was going to do 1,000+ code lines of dictation. :D
    So was I. That's what friends and Mothers were for! I never could get my Mother to comprehend hex though - when she was reading hex numbers to me, any that contained alphabetics would slow her waaaay down. OTOH, "Andrew", another geek like me, could rattle them off faster than I could type.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    You are feeling old?
    I turned 65 a couple of weeks back and got my first Govt super payout last week.

I applied for it online but had to take the paperwork into the local office to lodge it.

Get to the front door and the 2 security guards immediately told me where to go without asking!  I said ' Do I look that old' and they replied 'Yes'

Get inside to reception and the lady behind the counter told me that I needed to go to level 2 to file my paperwork ......again without me telling her why I was there. I asked her 'Do I look that old' and she also said yes.........

Get to level 2 and walk through the doors and am approached by yet another security person who asked me  'How can we help you today'.  I told him I needed to file my 'Super' application and he replied ' You dont look that old'.........I wanted to hug him.

Then he spoilt the moment and pointed to a queue of old people with zimmer frames/wheelchairs and said ' You need to get in the seniors line'.............

I wanted to kick him in the goolies.............
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    When I am in the store buying things they always ask if I need help to put in in my truck . I usually smile & say no thank you ...... other times I tell them I got the things in the cart & pushed it all over this store so why would you think I need help now ?