Home Main Category General Firearms

‘96 Mauser - 6.5x55 Swede - Yes/No?

1235»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    At least once. 😁
    With an unfamiliar trigger and a front blade that probably covers 3-4 MOA?  That'll do Pig. . .that'll do. (Insert high five here - current forum emoji selection SUCKS!)

The long throat of that rifle would be a natural for the Weird Science Pop and I do whenever one of us brings one of these Golden Oldies home.  We pour a fired case full of molten lead up to the neck, then chamber it.  We then tap a lead slug down the bore with a steel rod shimmed at strategic locations with masking tape and swage it out to form a "pound cast" of the throat.  Open the action, tap that out, and you've got the guideline for starting the blueprints of a custom bullet mold.

You're giving me strange urges there buddy.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

You're giving me strange urges there buddy.
    Are we still talking about guns?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    No "smooch" emoji either.  :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    3/4 MOA with irons, just leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is.  Great work!
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    That’s the plan. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Whats next? Hog or deer?  BTW  darn good shooting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Deer. 
    Question:
    I have cleaned this rifle a couple times now. Once when I originally got it and just now as it will likely sit for a bit before i shoot it again. 

I’ve noticed that it copper fouls worse than ANY rifle I’ve ever owned. Is that an attribute to its age/date of manufacture and not making as smooth a bore as possible these days?  Or some other possible reason. 

She shoots like a dream, so I’m not worried. Just curious as to the cause of such dramatic fouling. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Both my surplus M96 and the one I built off a M96 using a surplus barrel from a M38 seem to always have a build up after a range trip.  I have not noticed any degredation in accuracy with them though.  I assume it is due to the machining of the time when the barrels were manufactured combined with their age.  The M38 barrel  though had spent its life sealed up and packed with grease.