Home Main Category General Firearms

FLORIDA PASSES NEW GUN LAW

jaywaptijaywapti Senior MemberPosts: 4,958 Senior Member
Just saw on the news that Fl. passed a new law that now all private gun sales must go through a background check, so how does a private person do a background check ??

JAY
THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    They go to a FFL and pay for a transfer.  Mind you, at least in Mi, that fee is set by the individual FFL and not a set amount that will be evenly applied across all transfers.  I have been quoted from $25 all the way up to $150 for a transfer of one firearm.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    In the People's Republic of California, we call it a "Private Party Transfer".

You and your new best friend go to a gun shop, where they run the buyer through the same background check, and in our case, 10-day waiting period, as they would the buyer of a new gun.  Costs slightly more than the regular background check because there's basically two sets of paperwork (buyer & seller) and the DOJ allows shops to charge this reasonable (considering) fee because it's basically a lot of no-profit time the dealer has to invest.

The fun part is, if your buyer FAILS his background check, you now get to go through one to get your own gun back. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Colorado passed a similar bill a while back.  There, as in some other states, it's up to the FFL holder as to the charge.  The most I've ever had to pay was $35, and that was for a gun I purchased over the internet and had shipped to a local FFL holder.  I never bought or sold a gun via a private purchase since the law was passed.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Where did you hear this!!?? I can't find any info on it!!
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Where did you hear this!!?? I can't find any info on it!!
    It was on channel 7 and 13 out of Orlando.

JAY
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    Jaywapti, are you confusing the just passed in the U.S. House of Representatives the H.R.8 bill mandating private sales background checks with FL legislation? It's been on the news all morning.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    I think you're right, Mike. It's a bill that passed in the House.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I couldn't find anything on Google or Bing search about FL law being passed, but knew the H.R.8 had been in the news this morning, so I sorta put two and two together.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #10
    Nothing like that will be passed (and certainly not made into law) in FL with the current governor and legislators.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #11
    That said, there are several pesky local ordinances that make it a pain to conduct private sales in cities like Tallahassee. 
    I did see that 8 Republican Representatives voted FOR the bill.

3 came from FL:  Brian Mast, Vern Buchanan, and Mario Diaz-Balart.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I did see that 8 Republican Representatives voted FOR the bill.

3 came from FL:  Brian Mast, Vern Buchanan, and Mario Diaz-Balart.
    Well, at least you know who the RINOs are.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Does anyone have a list of all eight of the turncoats?
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Jaywapti, are you confusing the just passed in the U.S. House of Representatives the H.R.8 bill mandating private sales background checks with FL legislation? It's been on the news all morning.
    Mike, I knew about HR8 but the news anchors said Fl, but it wouldn't suprise if they got it wrong, it wouldn't be the first time they got the news wrong.

JAY
    Accipiter said:
    If you have Facebook or Instagram,  Military Arms Channel has the list.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    Accipiter said:
    If you have Facebook or Instagram,  Military Arms Channel has the list.
    Thanks

the NJ dude doesn’t surprise me, but the Texas turd does.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Who is the Texas turd?  Would it be Will Hurd?  He also voted to overturn Trump's emergency declaration.  He represents the district in which I grew up.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    I hope when one thug sells a stolen Glock to another thug, they go through this process.    It will make all of us much safer.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    New Mexico is working on passing background check and red flag bills right now.  Democrats have complete control of the state right now and are pushing bills as fast as they can.  They will be going after "assault weapons" and magazines in the near future.  The new governor has already publicly stated that she will sign every bill that the democrat run House and Senate send to her desk.  It's not going to be a good few years in New Mexico, for sure...

On the plus side, last I saw, there are 23 out of 33 counties passing or trying to pass " 2nd amendment sanctuary" declarations where the Sheriffs and/or county commissioners are publicly stating they will not enforce the state's unconstitutional infringements.

Maybe a lot of Sheriffs in the state are still a little peeved that they were prevented from entering state buildings during the conferences in Santa Fe after the elections, because they were armed....
    Jay, don't tell me; let me guess. New Mexico has seen a steady influx of California liberals into the state, any have reached critical mass, and you've been Californicated.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    tennmike said:
    Mike, I knew about HR8 but the news anchors said Fl, but it wouldn't suprise if they got it wrong, it wouldn't be the first time they got the news wrong.

JAY
    Take everything you hear from 13 and 7 out of Orlando with a grain of salt.  I consider them to be the local version of CNN.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Nothing like that will be passed (and certainly not made into law) in FL with the current governor and legislators.
    yeahthat  I don't see anything like that passing the FL legislature.  Even if by some chance it did, Governor DeSantis would never sign it.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #24
    tennmike said:
    Jay, don't tell me; let me guess. New Mexico has seen a steady influx of California liberals into the state, any have reached critical mass, and you've been Californicated.
    New Mexico a very rural, small town state and tends to be mostly conservative.  A lot of ranching, farming, oil and very small communities throughout the state.  But it's run by the 3 biggest cities; Santa Fe, Albuquerque and Las Cruces.  All three of which are very liberal. New Mexico was safe from gun legislation for the last 8 years due to having a Republican governor, Susana Martinez, who would not sign anything, even if it did make it to her desk.  Now we have Michelle Lujan Grisham, a very outspoken anti-gun liberal.  With the state house, senate and governor's office totally run by democrats now, they are pushing every bill they can as quickly as possible. I believe they are testing the waters with the background check and red flag bills.  They will soon be going for much more.  I'd really like to see the NRA take special notice, since the Whittington Center is right up the road from the capitol.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/03/second-amendment-sanctuary-counties-protect-citizens-from-gun-control/#axzz5gxqxUD6U