Home Main Category Clubhouse

Harley Davidson offering new electric power motorcycle

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,395 Senior Member

Replies

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    So if I want to go to Sturgis S.D as i have done before, its 2100 miles that means i have to stop 19 times to charge the batteries, I think I'll pass. Give me back my Springer with its 124" S&S.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    That's downright useful - no idea of cost of course. The smart fone crap you can keep, but this would be great for daily commuting.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Last number I saw was right around $30k.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    If it dont go "potato potato" it aint a Harley. 

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    If it doesn't leak oil it aint a Harley. 

JAY
    FIFY
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    jaywapti said:
    If it doesn't leak oil it aint a Harley. 

JAY
    FIFY
    Silly person! Harleys don't leak oil; that's how they mark their territory! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    mitdr774 said:
    Last number I saw was right around $30k.
    That's ridiculous.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,740 Senior Member
    edited February 2019 #9
    And 110 miles isn't specified urban (which takes more electricity) or rural.  And it takes all night with a household outlet to recharge it.  I suppose it would be fine for a 10-mile trip to work and back, but at 30K, you'd have to want one very bad and be a rich environmentalist to buy one.  It appears to be the 1900s electric car...an idea before its practical time.  About 20 years too early.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    That's a LOT better - but still at least 2X overpriced. What's so damn expensive about an electric motor with a PWM controller? Not much.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've seen several Zero motorcycles around here and they have models that range between 10,000 to 15,000. Zorba, you probably spend that on nail polish, ear rings, scarfs, and hair removal.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Not hardly - and definitely NOT on hair removal. I gots lots O hair, and keeping all of it! ;)

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Pfffftt, at least 25% of the thrill of a motorcycle is the sound of the pipes. I especially enjoy blasting the eardrums and filling the nostrils with my fuel-rich exhaust of those roadhog cross-country bicyclists that always ride 2-3 abreast on narrow country roads.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/

Here you go Zorba. $13k, 150mph top speed, 150 miles, 35 min charge.
    That's a bit better. That blue 'cafe racer' bike shown is a 'Hell NO' for me, though. They're fine for riding on smooth hard surface roads, with major emphasis on SMOOTH roads. Hit a few bumps and 'the boys' feel like they been stuck in a nut cracker, and you can't really sit up and ride comfortably unless you got arms like an orangutan.
    ― Douglas Adams
    The Harley and Ricer guys like the ICE sound to much to give it up. If they want to sell a cycle, it should be more like a scooter... 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    That might work. I like scooters, but nobody likes that winy 2-stroke sound they make.

zorba said:
    That might work. I like scooters, but nobody likes that winy 2-stroke sound they make.
    Never understood the Dingus kids in school who pulled the baffles out of the exhaust of their mopeds to make them even louder/more annoying..... 
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    I can just picture a sequel to Sons of Anarchy where all the boys are riding electric Harley's: Bzzzzzzzzzzzz.... 
    I never understood the scenes in SOA where the MC would ride up to a location and surprise the folks there.  You know that folks two counties over could hear them "saving lives" from the moment they fired up their rides, let alone pulling up out front and slowly backing up to the curb while gunning the throttle. 🙄
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/

Here you go Zorba. $13k, 150mph top speed, 150 miles, 35 min charge.
    IF (note the emphasis) this comes out at that price point and is able to meet these specs, I will have to take a look.  I honestly could give a rat's ass about top speed (yes, I WILL try it, at least once, but it's not a selling point for me) but a 35 minute recharge time puts this into the realm of real world livability, for a commuter like me.  At 13K, it still doesn't make money sense, but I'll at least look... 

They're getting closer. 
    George Carlin
    Motorcycle sounds. This video has it all. :D:D:D:D

― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    Pfffftt, at least 90% of the pure annoyance of a motorcycle is the sound of the pipes. I especially enjoy some mid-level marketing manager blasting the eardrums of residents of quiet residential neighborhoods as he torques the throttle either late at night or early in the morning as he drives too and from a boring cube farm office.
    FIFY
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Pfffftt, at least 90% of the pure annoyance of a motorcycle is the sound of the pipes. I especially enjoy some mid-level marketing manager blasting the eardrums of residents of quiet residential neighborhoods as he torques the throttle either late at night or early in the morning as he drives too and from a boring cube farm office.
    FIFY
    "Saving lives"🤣
    George Carlin
    tennmike said:
    Motorcycle sounds. This video has it all. :D:D:D:D

That's a strange one as it's from a UK website but subtitled in Hungarian.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    Ok. . .I just looked at the USA site for what I believe are refurbed vintage Vespa scooters.  One claims just shy of 100 MPG on just over a 2 gallon tank.

I would LOVE to see this new Harley in a Top Gear-style race against one of those Vespas on Jaywapti's 2100 mile Sturgis trip - the puttering top speed of a Vespa versus the electric batteries mind-numbing recharge time.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Vespa scooters are unsuitable for city streets in America. The potholes would swallow them whole, and rider and Vespa would never be seen again.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    FIFY
    Some bikers I know like to call Bike Week and Biketoberfest "The Orthodontists' Convention."  Allegation being that many of the guys who show up don't ride that often.

Overkill is underrated.
    FIFY
    Some bikers I know like to call Bike Week and Biketoberfest "The Orthodontists' Convention."  Allegation being that many of the guys who show up don't ride that often.

Having been born and raised in Milwaukee, I got to witness lots of "authentic" bikers and a lot of them were dirtbags. The only article of Harley clothing they might have would be a ratty t shirt from their favorite bike shop. Nowadays most Harley dealerships sell as much clothing as they do bikes and all the orthodontists, insurance salesmen, and other assorted white collar bikers that come down here for "Thunderbeach" own just about every article of Harley clothing that's made. They trailer their bikes down here behind shiny new trucks, unload them, put on their Harley doo rag, t-shirt, vest, gloves, boots, and probably underwear, and then ride up and down Hwy 98 in the traffic.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Agreed.  Harley Davidson has become a "lifestyle brand."  Kinda like Gibson Guitars, Remington, Apple, Nike, and the like.  I know a fellow who bought a Harley and his main activity on the weekends is hanging out at the dealership. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    FIFY

We have the “Republic of Texas Biker Rally” (ROTRally) here in Austin.  Same thing- bikes trailered in, marketing managers, dentists, orthodontists, etc... blasting around side streets trying to avoid traffic to get out to the hill country back roads that are clogged by out of town bikers.

Great time to take a vacation and get out of town.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I had a Buell Blast for a few years.  Half a HD engine and all the problems.  It was a neat and fun bike when it decided to allow me to take it out for a ride.
    Agreed.  Harley Davidson has become a "lifestyle brand."  Kinda like Gibson Guitars, Remington, Apple, Nike, and the like.  I know a fellow who bought a Harley and his main activity on the weekends is hanging out at the dealership. 
    We call it "living the lifestyle".  🙄

Harley Davidson.  It's not just a statement... well actually, yeah it is. 
    George Carlin