Home Main Category General Firearms

Yet another Husqvana

ojrojr Senior MemberNew ZealandPosts: 1,333 Senior Member
edited March 2019 in General Firearms #1
I've been without a 30 06 since I sent mine for a re barrel to 6.5 06  [ isn't back yet]
30 06 isn't the most popular caliber here in New Zealand where 308/7mm 08/ 270 seem to rule but...... my old man had one, I've got one, you know how it is.
Anyway I contacted the man who got me the 1600 9.3x62 and sure enough he had a couple.
Mine is the top one.
I think that stock should come up really well, it has a bit of tiger stripe in it as has my other one.
If it shoots anywhere near as well as the 9.3 I'll be a happy man

The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
 Reuters, Dec 2020.

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,702 Senior Member
    I've had two in 8mm I got from Simpsons.  They're fine rifles...mine were drilled and tapped, one had an awful stock that had been coated with epoxy-like non sandable substance, but it shot well.  The other one was fine, both had beech stocks.  You get a lot of gun for your money with a Husqy.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • ojrojr Senior Member New ZealandPosts: 1,333 Senior Member
    Yes Gene both mine were drilled and tapped.
    Going to go with some brand of 2.5-8 or 3-9. they are a slim rifle and need a comparable scope, no big ugly stuff for this one.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    It looks like a low comb stock. Modest optic will be good. It looks nice! 

As long as you have access to 30cal bullets you're good to go. My 30-06 has taken mnt elk with regular cup & core bullets just like it was made for it.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Northland, New ZealandPosts: 936 Senior Member
    Nice Rifle, a friend is looking hard at a husky, did you get this one from Graeme?
    Yes certainly did, he also got me he 9.3
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,946 Senior Member
    That looks pretty good. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Those are virtual clones of the Mauser 98, just a commercial version instead of military.  Great rifles!  Back in the Dark Ages just after WW II, Sears sold a Mauser 98, under the "Ted Williams" brand, I believe. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,620 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    Those are virtual clones of the Mauser 98, just a commercial version instead of military.  Great rifles!  Back in the Dark Ages just after WW II, Sears sold a Mauser 98, under the "Ted Williams" brand, I believe. 
    I believe that may have been the JC Higgins 50 and 51.  .270 and .30-06 only, IIRC.  May have even had chrome-lined bores.

As to the O.P.:   MMMMMMMMM. . .Nice Husky!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Yep- - - -I believe Ted Williams promoted Sears fishing gear,  not guns.
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 326 Member
    Sears sold plenty of Ted Williams firearms- and I have shot a few
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,810 Senior Member
    Yes. Our neighbor had a Marlin 39 and a Winchester 1300 from Sears  branded as Ted Williams.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Pensacola, FLPosts: 10,810 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:
    Yes. Our neighbor had a Marlin 39 and a Winchester 1300 from Sears  branded as Ted Williams.

The Winchester had much better wood for the furniture than came from Winchester itself. The finish was Weatherbyesqe in gloss..

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member South DakotaPosts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Very good!   Probably the best all around caliber in the book.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Lima, PeruPosts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Very nice rifles; good friend of mine inherited one like yours also in 30-06 and it has already seen its fair share of field use. Pretty accurate even with surplus military ammo and its old single-post scope; a tad heavy for modern standards but reliable and built like a tank....great pick!
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member A true 'Southerner'. NZPosts: 8,393 Senior Member
    Hope you didnt pay more than the brochure advertises them at.............. :D

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Ha, Tisdalls I know a fellow thats well older than me who used to work there for awhile
    60 pound eh, that would have been a fair whack back in the day.

Reuters, Dec 2020.