Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Rudyard Kipling got it right in 1919

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,428 Senior Member

These words are simultaneously prophetic and terrifying.  I doubt than many of us will look up the meaning of "copy book headings", though!

https://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-gods-of-the-copybook-headings/

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Interesting.
    I've never seen one or heard of them until today. I don't think proverbs or common sense euphemisms and sayings were part of the curriculum when I was in school. My Dad and Grandfather passed some along. Some much less appropriate for public print than Rudyard Kipling's.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,403 Senior Member
    Here's as good a definition of copybook headings as one is likely to find. I remember something similar from grammar school in third grade when we went from printing block letters to learning to write in cursive. We had practice books that had sentences we copied that gave one plenty of practice in making all the 'swirls and curves' of cursive. They didn't have any sentences worth remembering, though. Progressiveism was already making itself present in such matters. Reading truths and writing them down repetitiously chiseled them in the minds of young folk, and having truth chiseled in those minds was to be avoided. Still is to a much greater extent. Better to feed them dessert, and leave the main meal untouched lest the mind be exercised with truth. To the NWO, truth is the enemy and must be suppressed at all costs.

Link to the definition:

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams