Home Main Category Hunting

Question for Teach

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,730 Senior Member
Does the 8mmx57 JS neck down fired brass so it will accept a .318 bullet?  With the proper expander of course.  I have only unfired 8mm brass, can't find the fired brass that's somewhere in my shop, and the mouth is too large to accept the I bullet.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    I am not Teach...................but the loading dies I have for the 8x57 came with 2 expanders. One is for .323 the other is for .318. I spoke to Teach about the die set a few years ago and he said that if you are going to load .318 you use the same die body with the .318 expander................

I havent loaded any as yet........its on my 'to do' list, which seems to get bigger the older I get.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I wonder if in the absence of a .318 expander, one could not simply remove the expander, set the die to resize just above the shoulder neck junction, and be able to seat the .318 bullets??????????????????
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

I believe the same resizing die will neck the brass down far enough to use either size expander button.  I'll dig out my 8MM dies and confirm that.  If you're using Lee dies (mine are Lee) it's pretty simple to acquire a spare decap/expand stem and file and sand it down to use with the .318 bullets.  I chuck the stem in a drill press, but a hand held drill motor can also be used as a spinner. 

I also made up a LuberSizer die to swage 8MM cast bullets down to .318 by using a tool post grinder on my lathe to open up a .308 bullet die, and making a correct-size plunger for it.  Shooting hard cast gas check bullets in the small bore barrel makes it possible to make a plinker load that's more pleasant to shoot than the jacketed round nose.  I believe those bullets came out around 160 grains or so.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,730 Senior Member
    For future reference, Buffalo Arms has .318 jacketed bullets at about .39 each, in lots of a hundred.  Shipping runs that up, but there it is.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.