Home Main Category Clubhouse

Six-Gun.....

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 7,039 Senior Member
You guys okay? Flooding looks pretty rough in your area.

Mike
"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    I read something earlier today about the flooding there. I thought about him as I read it.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #3
    Buddy has family in Fremont, roads in and out are under water, they still have power and sewer and water, no phone, hope Sixgun is having no problems.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I was wondering about Dan Chamberlain too. I think he's down stream of some o f the midwest flooding, and close to water.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    I've been hearing from Luis fairly regularly...he's safe and doing ok...working his butt off since the AFB was pretty badly flooded...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I've been hearing from Luis fairly regularly...he's safe and doing ok...working his butt off since the AFB was pretty badly flooded...
    Read somewhere they are working 24/7 to get all of the aircraft off of the base before the runways flood......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    I've seen some pictures of the flooding he posted elsewhere, and the base is really getting flooded. Said they got the aircraft out of there before the runways became unusable. He and everyone on the base will be busy sandbagging everything to minimize the flooding in buildings and houses. The rivers are getting way more water than they can handle. Breaking new records on river flood crests is something to be avoided.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    I know that Luis lives off base, but have no idea if he lives in the flooded area.  Prayers sent.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    o:)
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #11
    I'm doing just fine guys, and thanks for your concern.  Our home is well away from floodplain and we haven't suffered any ill effects from the flooding.

As tennmike and Jayhawker said, the base, on the other hand, is a total mess.  I managed a sandbagging team from my squadron and it was a futile effort.  The water rose so quickly, they couldn't get the barrier up high enough to stop it before having to pull back.  

At its worst, 1/3 of Offutt AFB's land mass was under water and it's just barely starting to creep down a foot at a time now.  I can't say exactly what was damaged, as that's close-hold info, but I can tell you that it's going to be a long, slow, expensive rebuilding process to get ourselves back to normal operations.  One building saw 79" of water.  You can use your imagination on the damage caused by that kind of inundation in regards to electronics and other such items.  

The public land where I shot the turkey with the flintlock 20 GA last season?  100% flooded right now.

The next step for me is to go check on our recently purchased Missouri farm.  It's an elevated area, but pretty danged close to the Missouri River by flooding standards, and one of the levees in a nearby town was breached.  No way to really visit it now with the ridiculous number of road closures in the area.  Just gotta pray that all is well there.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,039 Senior Member
    Glad your house is okay.

Reminds me of the 3rd day I was in the Marine Enlisted Barracks in New Orleans. 14" of rain caused 2' of flooding on the first floor. Luckily I lived on the 2nd floor, but we all were "allowed" to share in the cleanup.

Good times. Well, maybe not, but memorable for sure.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Glad to see your family and home are OK.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    What NN said. As long as you, family, and house are O.K. then that's a load of worry off everyone. I can imagine that damage done to the buildings and equipment staged in them. None of it really plays well with being submerged.
    Be careful when driving; that flooding can make a road look good and it's really just a cocked gun on a hair trigger. We've had a lot of roads and a few bridges here in East TN collapse from flooding and undermining the road base. Had a few pretty nasty mudslides, too.
    I'm really worried about the farmers and ranchers out there in the flooded zones. Lots of corn and cattle grown out there, and a lot of the cattle and calves drowned and got swept away. And the farmers had spring crops in the ground planted last fall to harvest before planting corn. That will all be gone. Gonna be a tight year for a lot of them.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,575 Senior Member
    Glad you're ok, bud.
    The Air Force is taking the old one two......... Tyndall was a giant mess.
    edited March 2019 #17
    Yup.  An the AF might take another hit depending on how fast South Dakota and Montana thaw out.  Montana is sitting on a 30-year record snow pack.  No question that a fast thaw up there will send a serious surge down the Missouri watershed all the way down to us.  We're already under serious threat from South Dakota's snow pack, and the next few days are going to critical in determining how bad it may get again.  It doesn't help that we end this week with rainfall.

If you want some good before/after close ups of the base and surrounding areas, this USA Today piece has some really good interactive photos to show you just what we're dealing with right now:

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/2019/03/19/before-after-satellite-images-midwest-flooding-damage/3210483002/
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    The experts are predicting historic flood levels on the lower MS river due to all of the rain and snow up north. 
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    I recall massive Mississippi flooding happening some 20 odd years ago or so.  It was devastating.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,946 Senior Member
    Luis, I'm glad to hear that you and yours are ok and on high ground.  As for the base cleanup, I imagine you're busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Luis, I'm glad to hear that you and yours are ok and on high ground.  As for the base cleanup, I imagine you're busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.
    Jerry - They have folks still scheduled through the weekend to try and stace off the mold and mildew before temps start rising any further and propagate both. No end in sight. Thankfully, I’m finally seeing my comp days from this most recent deployment and a much needed break. As for the Mississippi River and folks downstream, it will definitely get ugly if we see another wurge like we just did.