Home Main Category Clubhouse

Two burial services have taken place on the Western Front honouring four unknown Irish soldiers

das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
edited March 2019 in Clubhouse #1

The first service took place at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s (CWGC) Messines Ridge British Cemetery near Ypres, Belgium on Tuesday 19 March with a second burial taking place earlier today (Wednesday 20 March) at Guillemont Road Cemetery, on the Somme in France.

The first service (19 March) saw a soldier of The Royal Irish Rifles and an unknown soldier of an unknown regiment, laid to rest at Messines Ridge British Cemetery. The remains of these two soldiers had been discovered during work to widen a drainage ditch south west of the town of Wijtschate. Research, conducted by JCCC, shows they were most likely killed in either June 1917, during the Battle of Messines or in April 1918, during the Battle of the Lys.

A second burial service took place today (20 March) for a soldier of The Connaught Rangers and an unknown soldier of an unknown regiment at Guillemont Road Cemetery. The remains of these two soldiers had been uncovered during work on a wind turbine project near the village of Guillemont. They are believed to have been killed in September 1916.

remembered

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting...May they rest in peace...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    Thanks for posting the pictures and giving the information about the places they were found. News like that doesn't often get across the pond. Glad to see them honored; shows that there's still some humanity left in us.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    Salute!! Glad they could be properly honored!!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    I think it was in 2007 when a team of archaeologists produced a documentary titled Digging Up the Trenches.  They excavated about a hundred yard strip of each opposing trench around Ypres.  With that more or less random search, they found three bodies of French Algerians who they guessed were killed in the first 1915 gas attack.  Directly across on the German side, they found the remains of an M.G. emplacement that Allied records show being shelled off the map in 1918 as the lines FINALLY started to move.

8 million combat fatalities, probably more than half of them in a strip of land a couple miles wide by 400 miles long.  I imagine it's hard to plant a ten foot row of onions in that area without finding a dead man. . .or pieces of one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I had no idea of the enormous scope of this war until just a few years ago.

May they cross over the river, and rest beneath the shade of the trees.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    o:)
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,039 Senior Member
     o:) 
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    o:)  RIP
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia