Home Main Category Hunting

NE Archery Turkey Opener 2019: First bird with a crossbow!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,149 Senior Member
edited March 2019 in Hunting #1

This past Fall, I scored my first turkey with a recurve bow.  This Spring, it was time to go for another first: bagging a turkey with my Parker Tornado F4 crossbow.

I have permission on a small, 10-acre farm nearby that has a decent Tom flock and another nice sized hen flock working it regularly.  I set up a pop up blind in the middle of a bunch of turkey sign (scat, feathers and scratches) near where the owner said he had being seeing the birds a couple of days back.  I also, had a couple of birds scamper away as I approached to set up, so I knew it was the right place.    

Today is the archery opener and I had a comp day to use after my latest deployment.  I got in before daylight, and placed a hen and a half-strut Jake decoy set just under 10 yards in front of the blind.  There was bad news early when the birds flew off the roost the wrong way.  Between that and cold, cloudy weather led to a very slow, quiet morning.  I took an hour and change for lunch and headed back in to the blind just before 1PM.

Figuring that the birds were not going to show until at least 2PM based on previous scouting visits, I decided to clear some space and take a nap on the blind floor.  Well, you know how that goes...about 10 minutes into my snooze I awakened by the unmistakable sound of a bird beating the crap out of my Avian-X half-strut Jake decoy like a speed bag!  

I quickly and carefully got to my knees and peeked over the blind window to see a nice Tom now angrily pecking the decoy, which is now almost totally bellied to the ground from the whipping.  Next move was to hurry up and get into a shooting position in my blind chair and get the crossbow into a good shooting position.  

By this time, another Tom has come in to watch the beating continue, along with at least 15 hens.  I had my Handycam and tripod with me, but there was no messing around to get it going at this point.  The bird gave me a beautiful facing angle shot that let me avoid his beard and send a quartering shot right through his vitals.

The next part shocked me and was one of the craziest things I've ever seen on a turkey hunt: at the arrow's impact, the bird the bird staggered back a few paces, now mortally wounded with a shot through the vitals.  He gathered himself...and went right back to beating the crap out of the decoy for about 6 more seconds before he slumped over and expired right on top of it!!  I have never seen a bird this tough in my life.  He must've thought the decoy got a lick in on him and pressed in for revenge, even as he bled out all over it.

I took him to the taxidermist to have him weighed, and despite being pretty average in spur length (1"), his beard was he ended up measuring 10.5" and he's my heaviest bird to date at just shy of 27 lbs.  Not bad for my first crossbow turkey kill!

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Exciting!

Almost time for dinner here. To me that bird looks real good.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Nicely done Luis! Turkey hunting is a hoot...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    He’s all butchered and ready for the pot.

Indeed, this turkey stuff never gets old, especially when they behave badly.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,643 Senior Member
    Ha! best way to attract game is to close your eyes, quite the show you got to watch, nicely done.  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    What do you do with the primary wing feathers???
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,931 Senior Member
    Great looking Tom. Congratulations 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,716 Senior Member
    WOW
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member

Nice hunt and nice story, Luis.

You need to get into fly tying. :)

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    jbp-ohio said:
    It depends.  Sometimes, I use them for fly tying.  This time, my wife took them for a floral arrangement.

Nice hunt and nice story, Luis.

You need to get into fly tying. :)

Jerry - I actually do have a nice Renzetti Travler Vise and tie up decent roation of patterns.  Lots of Clouser minnows in my fly box are hand tied specials that have caught everything from bass, to trout, to salmon, to tarpon.
    Six-Gun said:
    jbp-ohio said:
    It depends.  Sometimes, I use them for fly tying.  This time, my wife took them for a floral arrangement.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    Six-Gun said:
    jbp-ohio said:

Got any tutorials on how to cut and mount them?  I always wanted to fletch from scratch, but wanted advice from someone who actually has experience.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    The first Kansas turkey was a spot and stalk on a flock of birds...the target was a Jake on the outskirts of the flock...killed the bird at about 25 yards and as he flopped around, two more Jake's ran over and started kicking the crap out of him...Just no telling what a turkey is going to do....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member

Luis, and others who like to fly fish for bass and panfish on farm ponds, try the gurgling frog.  I had a blast with this fishing from a kayak.

http://www.ralphsflybox.com/2018/06/gurgling-frogs-and-bass-on-glass.html

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I think it's exactly that bizarre behavior that makes them so fun to hunt.  You truly never know if you're getting a shy bird or a bold one when the time to shoot is there, and know even less about how the other birds in the area are going to respond.
    Six-Gun said:

Got any tutorials on how to cut and mount them?  I always wanted to fletch from scratch, but wanted advice from someone who actually has experience.
    My brother actually made our set up. He made a stainless clamp that we used on a belt sander to grind down the quill.........
    That’s pretty slick thinking.