nearly new presidential 747-8is

das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
ticket price on the used lot
$5.3B for two, after modification

they come with a real russian link
originally produced for the russian liquidated airline Transae

still the bargain?
Aug 1, 2017
Now the Air Force is planning to buy Transaero's old 747-8s for "a good deal," according to Defense One. The official purchase could be announced by the Pentagon as soon as this week. The final price for the aircraft will not be released, but the average price for a 747-8 is just shy of $387 million. The Air Force could pick up the two Transaero 747-8s for a good bit cheaper, however, considering they were previously purchased and currently reside in the boneyard where Boeing is paying to store them.

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    Well. . .it certainly seems like converting an existing 747 in the Boneyard into the new Air Force One may well be more costly than building an new Air Force One from the ground up.  It certainly makes sense to buy a Corvette to begin with, rather than trying to turn a Camaro into one.  Ditching the in-flight refuel option seems like a very foolish thing to do.  Sell off the secondhand birds and start fresh would be my call.

But of all the federal budget items for people to bitch about, I feel the urge to slap those who would bitch about the cost of Air Force One for the following reasons:

1.  It's a worldwide symbol of national power, and a pretty major one.  Yes, "The Game" has silly rules, but one of those rules is that The President of the United States Shall Not Arrive in a Cessna.

2. It's a multi-administration asset.  You may hate the current administration and his party, but One Of Yours will be cruising around in it one of these days.

3.  There needs to be a MAJOR set of electronic and mechanical upgrades for this bird to do what it does, and that's before you get to the walnut burl dash and Rich Corinthian Leather.  And you're only building TWO of them.  It's not as if you can reduce per-unit cost by punching them out on an assembly line.

All that said, I'd rather have The Wall.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    If it was on the internet, it has to be true.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:

But of all the federal budget items for people to bitch about, I feel the urge to slap those who would bitch about the cost of Air Force One for the following reasons:

Boeing may have a couple of 737 MAX 8's on discount

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 384 Member
    das68 said:

Those dont have a valid certification of airworthyness
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    das68 said:

Those dont have a valid certification of airworthyness
    that is why they are on discount

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    As an aside, before my wife retired a year ago, she was program manager for all logistics for Air Force One. She scheduled all maintenance, budgeted for flying hours and fuel etc. Has a nice little certificate from Air Force One. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 384 Member
    we're making some fun about the planes Dan,  but this is something no-one is ever gonna take from your wife