Home Main Category General Firearms

Really superior stock wax

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,731 Senior Member
I don't usually get excited by wax, but upon recommendations from another board, I bought some "Feed and Wax".  It's got beeswax dissolved in it.  I put it on my old Mauser Commercial and it really made it shine. Why it's called "Feed...".  I understand the wax part.  You have to apply it and let it dry for about 20 minutes and then wipe it off.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• john.41john.41 Member Posts: 316 Member
    Howard's, great product, been using it a very long time. Great on vintage oil finishes, but can be problematic on newer lacquer or shellac finishes.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    How well does wax protect a stock from real world use.  Is it a hardy protectant, or does it bring out the finish of a lightly used firearm.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    It repells water until it wares off. Good for the metal too for water protectant.

Also a good preservative for old firearms and other antiques that have patina in need preservation and lose value and allure if cleaned.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    I had a Python royal blue that I waxed (car wax) and it wouldn't even take a finger print.  I've not tried it on my Mauser's metal, but might.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #6
    Seems like you would need to be careful on bluing wouldn’t you?  Could buff right through to bare metal.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    Howards works really good for the wood finishes around the house. It made some kitchen cabinets that looked like they needed refinished/replaced almost like new. New enough the wife got off my case about doing something with them.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,731 Senior Member
    Didn't "buff" it with any kind of speed, just wiped it off with a soft cotton cloth.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    For wood, it's hard to beat any quality carnuba wax for wood. For guns that see a lot of moisture like shotguns for waterfouling, good ol' Johnson paste wax for automobiles is good coating for all the metal. The water beads and drops off quickly on wood and metal. Put it on thin, let it dry and go opaque, and buff with a clean rag.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #10
    tennmike said:
    For wood, it's hard to beat any quality carnuba wax for wood. For guns that see a lot of moisture like shotguns for waterfouling, good ol' Johnson paste wax for automobiles is good coating for all the metal. The water beads and drops off quickly on wood and metal. Put it on thin, let it dry and go opaque, and buff with a clean rag.

That's my personal preference. I've been using the same can for around 35 years or so and I'm finally down to the bottom and will probably need a new can in a few more years.

snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me