Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage 99s

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,744 Senior Member
I may have posted pics of this before, but today I found out the age of these .300 Savage 99s, which I thought were from the 1950s.  On another forum, I found out the one on top is from 1941, the one on bottom is from 1930.  They have six-digit SNs, which I also found out kinda link to the age: I was informed that the six-digits in 99s are like pre 64 Winchester.  I believe they're called "Pre Milled," although I don't know what that means.  They've both been D/T, but that's not such a terrible thing.  The age apparently doesn't add to the value, but it's nice to know.  A couple of really well preserved rifles that apparently weren't hunted much.  I removed the scope mounts and put on the Marbles tangent sights.  They both shoot as well as I can.  I love them!
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,661 Senior Member
    Weird to think that the one from 1930 is almost 90 years old, I can appreciate them, but they were never a thing in our deer camp, nobody has one, and we have a lot of guns between all of the folks in our camp.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Hand fitted, and assembled one at a time, by people that measured their lives against the quality of their work.

They're the best of their type and look it. That cartridge was ahead of its time and enjoyed a serious reputation in the north woods.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #4
    I always wanted one when I was a kid.  When I was in HS, 62-63 or so, when deer were scarce, my buddy  had a .300 Savage and killed a deer every year...that was the limit back then.  I don't hunt but still have a fondness for hunting rifles. Especially hunting rifles older than me.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #5
    I've shown this one before, it dates to the 30's as well but has been completely re finished. Woodwork by non other than BigAl. Also a 300 Savage. Not a collector any more but a great shooter.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    He did a first class job on it Sako.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #7
    Looking great.  I like the barrel. And I think the .300 Savage is a great cartridge.

Edit:  I think "pre-mil" may refer to serial numbers pre-1 million.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #8
    After I did Sako's '99 I had to have one. I forgot how much I had lusted over them through the years and why didn't I have one??!! So far I have four take downs in .30-30, .303 Savage, .25-35, and .38-55. The .30-30 is from 1930 so it has the fully threaded barrel, the others are 1913, 1908 and 1906 respectively. They are a little rough but I left them as is, since I like them with character. And they all shoot great!

Actually, the three older one are 1899A's and the .30-30 is a 99B.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,759 Senior Member
    I bought a 99f chambered in 308 that had been ridden hard and put away wet. After a lot of cleaning, a trigger job and a new stock my boys call it my "ace". It will put three shots in a clover leaf at 200 yards and handles great ( the 4th will be a flyer). This is my go to rifle. A few years ago I had done some gun work for my brother and couldn't bring my rifles from Kalifornistan to pa for a deer hunt. I borrowed his FIL's Savage 99f chambered in 300 Savage with see thru mounts and a Galaxy 4x scope. Using 20 year old Remington green box, 180 gr round nose core locs I dropped a coyote on the run at 200 yards and a standing deer  at 283 yards with a head shot. There is no better lever gun than a 99 Savage and the 300 Savage is under rated is under rated.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,580 Senior Member
    Beautiful rifles. 
    I must get a 99.  Been lusting for one for years.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    I think it's the greatest lever gun ever. And it's super sexy looking if a rifle can so be. One day when the stars and planets line up I'm going to get me one. I want it in .250 Savage but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a .300.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.