Home Main Category Clubhouse

Headed to France on business

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
Wife and I are leaving today for France.  We fly into Paris and land tomorrow morning.  We'll spend Sat and part of Sunday doing the Paris thing.  On Sunday afternoon we'll take a high speed bullet train to St Etienne France where I have four days of engineering meetings at our fiber optic test set engineering facility.  

On Friday we leave for a week of vacation touring around Switzerland.  Should be a great trip!
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    Wife and I are leaving today for France.  We fly into Paris and land tomorrow morning.  We'll spend Sat and part of Sunday doing the Paris thing. 
    leave your high vis vest in the luggage :#

Yellow vests banned from Champs-Élysées after riots

have a safe trip

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    Safe travels Jeff
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,386 Senior Member
    you are going to have a blast!!!!

Make sure you try some of the great food there.  Croissants & coffee every day....chocolates....pastries.....cheeses..... breads....baguette sandwiches...

The trains are to die for and are way to cool and fast.   Nice rides.  Wish we had them here.

havent been to switzerland, yet, but its going to be a bit more expensive.  
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:
    The trains are to die for and are way to cool and fast.   Nice rides.  Wish we had them here.
    California is going to have one Real Soon Now.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I spent 8 years in Europe. Never set foot in France. I did go to the border and pee across the line one time... but I was inebriated... 

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,187 Senior Member

I wish you could afford to hire me to carry your bags and be your translater and chauffeur.  As you can perhaps tell by my last name (Lafrank), I am mostly Italian and French, and I happen to speak French fluently.  Oh well.  You've received some excellent advice above already, and I'll presume to add to it by mentioning something you likely already know, to wit:  St Etienne is the location of several of France's finest gunmakers, such as Georges Grainger, Manufrance, and several others.  I do hope your schedule allows you to visit some of them and drool on their well-made products;  of course we'll all await a full field report complete with copious pics upon your return!  Enjoy!  Bon Voyage!  Vive la France!

Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • 1hogfan831hogfan83 Member Posts: 336 Member
    I don't envy France in so much as I do the history part of me rather than than people, food, etc.  I will admit the train sounds like a blast, Switzerland also.  It would be cool to actually buy a swiss army knife in Switzerland!  
    "Well he shoulda armed him self" William Munney-Unforgiven"
    "You believe there is one God, that is good, even the demons believe and shudder in fear" James 2:19
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 524 Senior Member
    As I mentioned in Dan's post, I was on a "Med cruise" early 60's while in the Corps. Didn't get to visit Paris but really enjoyed France. Great food! I took ten days leave in Nice, France when my ship pulled out and met it ten days later in Barcelona, Spain; another great city to visit. Met a gal in Nice first day I was there and she accompanied me during leave, even took the train with me to Barcelona. To say that I have some fond memories of that Med cruise is understating it! Did I mention great food?
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
    ..... St Etienne France where I have four days of engineering meetings at our fiber optic test set engineering facility.  

i forgot to ask, if you dont mind, who's in St. Etienne that works with FO?

also, too bad you didnt go up to the Normandy area.  Alot of history and stuff to keep you busy.

If you get a chance in Switzerland, look for any of the bunker tours.  They have some open up to the public and along with the gun emplacements.

have fun.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,156 Senior Member
    I don't know...... I heard the French are a bit odd,

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 380 Member
    Nope, we have the very high speed tracks (some)  and just the normal tracks mixed passenger and freight.
    ilove22s said:

Make sure you try some of the great food there.  Croissants & coffee every day....chocolates....pastries.....cheeses..... breads....baguette sandwiches...

Seriously why can't we get those here? I haven't found anything that comes close here and there's a cart on every corner in every city in France! 

Enjoy your trip, sounds like a blast! 
    we can get those here, but its no where the flavor and quality.

I will spend a month of weekends looking for crossionts in my town.  Some are great and most is good.  Many are like the bread shaped crossionts you get from costco.   

Even when i was in France, i found the quality varied.  The best i had was in Bayeux and that was only 1 time.  the place i stayed got them in daily and only when you requested it.  So even from the same baker, the quality varied.  

you have to know that they dont go to costco and loadup a months of food only to toss it into a chest freezer in the basement.

many people outside of the USA shop for the day or a few days.  you can go around a corner to the local bakery and get a 1/2 loaf of fresh bread or a whole loaf.  If you want it sliced, they will do it for you.   You can also hit up the local produce shop and get what you want for the day or days.  They also eat seasonally.  

they have local butchers too.  Some may specialize in certain meats.   

You ever notice where you live you can get tomatoes, fruit like mangoes, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, avacodas, oranges 24/7/365?   Notice that the quality/flavor will vary alot?

When im over there i can go and get a cup of fresh squeezed OJ and its sweet.  They will take random oranges out of a box or dump a box of oranges into the machine to squeeze it. But its sweet.  Here i can go to the local store and get an orange and its a crap shoot if its juicy or sweet.  If i go back the next day for more, it can be crappy.

if you can get a chance to get out of the USA and try some of the local foods, you should.  Where you live you maybe able to get fresh fruits 24/7/365 and other things.  where i live there are seasonal fruits and produce, but i like to have my fruits 24/7/365.   

Everytime i go back to Germany, i get a sandwich.  And everytime i do, i forget how awesome they make bread.  Somethings that is so simple, but tastes so great.  you may not care or have any interests, but for me and what ive been enduring its like you wake up and wonder what has happened to our food.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    ilove22s said:

Seriously why can't we get those here?...There
    Trains in Europe don't handle anywhere close to the tonnage of freight that America handles each day. If they did, their tracks wouldn't permit high-speed trains. Freight trains, by their very design, tear up trackage causing never-ending maintenance and repair. Also, much of Europe's trackage is dedicated to light passenger traffic rather than freight. In order for high-speed rail to be built and successfully operated here in America, new lines, independent of freight, would have to be built, something of which the environmentalists would never allow. 
    next time you are near some railroad tracks take a look at them and how parallel they are and what they are fastened to.

the high speed tracks are mounted to concrete or set in concrete.  ours are designed to flex (good or bad) and if you notice during the really hot weather in Europe, they will slow down the trains bucause their tracks dont have any expansion capability or little of it and the tracks may start warping out of place.  Their tracks are also continuous and butt welded where as ours are not and have expansion joints, its why you feel and hear the thump-thump-thump.  On their trains you wont feel or hear that.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,621 Senior Member
    I keep waiting to hear that France surrendered to Jeff, and the SE shoot has a new location for 2020, a bit more East and a bit more South.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #16
    Last day of engineering meetings and then off to Switzerland for 5-days of vacation.  We found Paris very nice, to me it didn't hold a candle to Rome.  Still one of my favorite cities in Europe.  St Etienne where our engineering facility is located is a beautiful town.  They have a butcher shop like nothing I've ever seen in the US.  Maybe when I was a kid, but it was amazing.

We found the high speed train both fascinating and yet uneventful in another. It’s fairly smooth, pretty darn quiet for 200 mph. After the first 10 min or so, it’s just a train ride. I will say France’s countryside with all the rolling hills, vineyards, small villages, farms and woodlands are quite picturesque and beautiful! Been a great trip so far!

Looking forward to heading to Switzerland tomorrow morning.   

Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    Have a great time!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain