Home Main Category Clubhouse

Retirement Present...

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
My Wife retired from federal service a year ago, and I retired in July (sort of...still have my nursing license if I need it).

For years, we've been talking about an extended vacay somewhere without kids. Well, things have never really settled down on the home front with kids moving here and there and changing jobs and needing assistance with this and that (not money... Grandpa and Grandma stuff.) 

But, it's finally happening. 
We leave the Continental USA on Wednesday next week and we aren't coming back until mid May. We're going to be living the life in a little place called Sorrento, on the Amalfi Coast of Italy. Five weeks of pasta, vino, sea food, pizza and gelato... 

We're traveling light. Our apartment has all the appliances so we're taking one week of clothing in our back packs! No checked luggage! Grab and go! 

I'll try to figure out how to report in if possible and shoot a photo or two. 

I lived in Italy for almost three years so it will be somewhat familar.

Hold the fort and if I don't make it back, it was fun.

Dan 
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Bugatti rental???😎
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Not going to do any driving while I'm there. My Mario Andretti days are over. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    Italian firearms to fondle, sounds like fun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,916 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #5
    Have a Blast Dan.
    I spent a couple months in Marina De Pisa while in the Army and last year a week in Rome. So much history to see and wonderful food everywhere.
    Viaggi sicuri
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • drsfefadrsfefa Member Posts: 407 Member
    Great stuff! Enjoy!
    Responsible CCW is a lifetime commitment to Avoidance, Deterrence, and De-Escalation.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    As you clearly already know, Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are among the most beautiful places on earth, and I envy you for being able to spend some time there!  You'll be able to hike from hilltop village to hilltop village, enjoy a beach or two, and revel in scenery that has captivated people since before Roman times.  Last time I was there was 1965, when I turned 23, and driving on the Amalfi coast was indeed a Mario Andretti experience;  I hasten to agree with your decision not to drive in Italy.  Make your wife do it, or hire a local!  Have a terrific time, and I do hope to read a full report and enjoy some pics upon your return.  Oh, and congratulations on your retirement.  I'm sure you've earned it several times over.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    As the kids would say, I'm "jelly"...

Sounds like a wonderful time, Dan.  Enjoy!
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 524 Senior Member
    Visited Italy early '60s courtesy of "Uncle". I loved Italy, especially the train ride from Livorno to Genoa, beautiful coastal scenery! I envy you, it's one of the countries I'd like to re-visit.
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
    I have never been out of this country and I am not sure I ever will so just consider me green with envy. Have a great time.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I have never been out of this country and I am not sure I ever will so just consider me green with envy. Have a great time.
    Here's my take on that. You're not really missing anything. Really. The USA has everything in the world worth doing. The only reason I'm going back is to show my wife something she's never seen before. Military took me all around the world. I got to see a lot of cool things and eat a lot of cool foods and witness first had a lot of history.

She never had that. All my talk of Italy sort of got the bug crawling and of all the places in the world I've traveled, The Amalfi coast was the coolest. So, that's where we decided to go.

But if you want coastal vistas, drive the coast from Washington to northern Ca. If you was sea-side villages, go to Maine... If you want History, screw the Romans and visit the Grand Canyon! If you want battle grounds, they are all over the eastern USA! 

If you want good food? Any small town in America has it. Without the crowds...

Except for Kansas. Kansas is sort of boring :smile:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    Sorrento is beautiful, and Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius are good places to explore and see some nice scenery. And Capri is a short boat ride and a beautiful area. If you go to Naples, watch where you go, as I doubt some of the waterfront areas have improved much since I was there many times in the '70s in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. :D

Lots of nice towns and cities within a day's travel time, and an overnighter or two nights in some of them would be very doable. Travel by train is fast, safe, and comfortable, too. Have a great time, take lots of pictures, and enjoy your trip!

Watch out for those Italian taxi drivers. They're all frustrated Mario Andretti wannabes and I hope your wife doesn't speak fluent Italian. The taxi driver's language can get a bit 'salty'! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 601 Senior Member
    You can take a couple days and head up to Gardone and visit Famars firearms it’s about 8hrs. Go to Brescia which is also about 8 hrs and visit Perazzi, Beretta, and Chiapas. Those are all drive times taking a train will probably cut a lot off the time. Beretta is the oldest active firearms manufacturers in the world. They were making barrels in the 16th century. A lot of history there have a great trip. I believe you would regret not visiting and doing a tour of some of the firearms manufacturers when you’re so close.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Safe travels, my friend
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Enjoy!   You've earned it.   Can't wait to hear your report and see some pictures.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain