Home Main Category General Firearms

Most comfortable electronic earmuffs for long-term wear?

10canyon5310canyon53 MemberPosts: 2,119 Senior Member
After spending 5 hours straight on the firing line as an RSO is clear to me that I need to upgrade my Harbor Freight electronic ear muffs to something more comfortable for long term wear.  I am not looking to spend a fortune, but comfort is the priority.  I noticed Academy has these Walker's Razor earmuffs on sale:  https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/walkers-razor-electronic-earmuffs-combo#repChildCatid=3641263  Any advice from those who have experience with these and others is welcomed.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    My wife and I have the Howard Leight variety with a 30 db rating. They're fine for us, but we haven't worn them for 5 hours either. YMMV.

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I replaced the el cheapo Caldwell muffs that I used for years, with the Howard Leights that everyone recommended to me, at the time. They do feel much better, but I have not really spent enough range time to prove that they will make that much difference, long term.
  • RaftermanRafterman New Member Posts: 229 Member
    I bought a set of Walkers #GWP-XPMB which different than the one you show. I like them just fine but can not say they will be comfortable for you. Head size and shape may make what's good for me a pain to you. The reviews on mine were mostly good with the exception of the sound amplification. I have to agree on this point. But I shoot indoors and double up with foam plugs.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    Following recommendations on here I bought a pair of Walkers Razor 'Slim Shooter' electronic earmuffs.
    Best thing I ever did.
    I note from your link that the ones you are looking at dont mention 'bluetooth'
    Spend the extra and get the blue tooth capability. The facility to answer your mobile without removing your muffs is great.........plus I can listen to music while working in high noise areas and activities without the annoying leads from a device.........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    I'm not familiar with the Walkers. What's their NRR?
    I wouldn't have need of bluetooth on those, however... :D

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    On a related subject, are the Walkers loud enough to hear a conversation normal with earplugs under the muffs?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,905 Senior Member
    On a related subject, are the Walkers loud enough to hear a conversation normal with earplugs under the muffs?
    Yes
    Last time I shot at Markham Park, guy in the next lane was shooting 4 different rifles with a brake.  The .308 was loud, but the .300 mag was LOUD.  During a cease fire I put some foam plugs under them and it helped a lot. I was still able to hear the guy bragging about how bad ass his gun was.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,109 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I'm not familiar with the Walkers. What's their NRR?
    23dB
    I wouldn't have need of bluetooth on those, however... :D
    Dont you listen to music... :D
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Lots of times. But usually from a stereo or my computer.
    As an aside, I don't keep a constant blather of NOISE going 24/7/365 like a lot of people seem to. I'll drive for hours at a time without the car stereo on, for instance. Heck, my 1st car (Datsun pickup) didn't even have a radio!

• PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    After spending 5 hours straight on the firing line as an RSO is clear to me that I need to upgrade my Harbor Freight electronic ear muffs to something more comfortable for long term wear.  I am not looking to spend a fortune, but comfort is the priority.  I noticed Academy has these Walker's Razor earmuffs on sale:  https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/walkers-razor-electronic-earmuffs-combo#repChildCatid=3641263  Any advice from those who have experience with these and others is welcomed.

I do a lot of match direction as well as competitive shooting.  We are a members club and if someone doesn't do the MD and RSO duties, we would not have matches.  About 3 years ago I decided to get the best electronic earmuff I could find;  I wanted an NRR of 30 or more, comfortable to wear for extended periods, individual control of the microphones (right and left) and great detection of conversation.

After some research, I bought the Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold Military Grade electronic earmuffs.  They have an NRR of 30, dual control and are powered by 123a batteries.  They have an audio jack if that's important to you.  They do not have Bluetooth as transmitting devices are not allowed on the firing line for competitors.

When I do MD duty, I put them on before the first match starts and I will have them on ALL day.  They shut off after 4 hours and every single time I am at a match, I have to turn them off and back on again, because I have them on more than 4 hours at every single match.  They are super comfortable and I do not remove them during cease fire, pit changes and whatnot.  On top of that, they microphones are very sensitive and I feel like I have bionic ears.  I can call a match, by myself, with 23 firing positions and 100 shooters and never have to leave center line.  I hear every call, every request for target service, etc, it's uncanny and the shooters know that and appreciate it.  When I shoot, I can turn off the side opposite from where my scorer is and lower the volume on the other one and not be disturbed by the goings-on around me.

This is my third year with this set, they still look like new and I swap batteries once, maybe twice a year and I compete at least once a month, more often twice a month and also do multi day state matches and week+ long Nationals or Worlds.  These earmuffs are the best I have ever had and makes the Leight and other similar junk, pale in comparison.

They are spendy; $230 on Amazon but my hearing and my awareness on the line are worth it.

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    I'm happy with my Walker razors. They are the only ones that I found with individual volume controls. I have lost 90% of the hearing in my left ear and 60% in my right ear, so separate volume controls is the most important feature for me. My Caldwells have them too, but the Walkers are more comfortable and the batteries just pop in after opening a little cover. The Caldwells have to have the ear foam and plastic covers pried off and they are a major PITA.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member
    edited March 2019 #14

I have the Walker slim Com BT that Orchid mentioned.  The Bluetooth model.  They are great for being able to answer the phone while wearing them.  They are also nice for being able to listen to music on them.  I wear them all day frequently and they work well.  I only have a couple of issues with them.

I wear them a lot more than most people would.  So, one issue I've run into is the padding that goes around the ears has already flattened and doesn't seem to seal as well any more.  This problem is made worse in cold weather.  If I leave them in my vehicle with the two sides pressed together, it flattens the ear padding.  When it's cold, they don't "spring back" to their normal shape very fast, if at all.  So they don't seal well at all in the cold.  I have learned to put them away with the two sides not pressed together and I leave them on the floor where the heater can warm them up on the way to the range.  Flattened or worn out ear cups is normal for pretty much all hearing protection over time.  I would just liked to get more than a year out of mine before they started having issues.  I have heard that someone sells aftermarket gel ear cups for them.  I will be looking into that soon and try to replace the ear cups on mine and see if that helps.

The only other thing I don't like about my Walker's is that they do not have auto shutoff.  That might be a good thing for something like Peg mentioned.  For me, I have the horrible habit of taking them off and tossing them in my vehicle, then pull them out next time I need them and they're dead.  So I have to carry spare batteries in my kit for them. 

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,859 Senior Member

Like Diver said, yes.  I wear plugs and the Walkers at my 25 yard pistol matches and can hear others talking and range commands perfectly fine.  I do it simply as a method to help me tune out all the other shooters and focus on my own thing. 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    Those Pro Ears would be my first choice if they were not so far out of my price range.  Based on the feedback, I went ahead and bought two pair of the Walker Razors at Academy Sports last night.  (My wife wanted a pair too.)  We both wore them for a couple of hours at the range this morning for a bowling pin shoot and so far we are both very impressed.  Since I could hear far better with them on than off and since they were very comfortable I kept mine on even when the range would go cold to reset bowling pins.  The real test will be a week from tomorrow when I will be on the firing line as an RSO for another 5 hours straight.  Thanks everybody for the feedback!
    I'm sure the Walker Razors will be fine.  BTW, I want to commend you for doing RSO duty.
    Thanks Pegasus!  I view it as an excuse to walk up and down the firing line and drool over other peoples' guns.  😁

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    On a completely unrelated note, Pegasus -- is that from Pegasus airlines or the head of MI-7 ( Johnny English)?
    Just wondering.
    ;)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

BattleStar Pegasus!

edited April 2019 #21
    Spk said:
    On a completely unrelated note, Pegasus -- is that from Pegasus airlines or the head of MI-7 ( Johnny English)?
    Just wondering.
    ;)

You're new around here so I'll cut you some slack.  B)

I copied my forum name from my then-current laptop, before the penultimate forum meltdown.  Let's see, the last meltdown was in 2012, IIRC, and the one before that was 2007 or so.  Wow, it's been a while.  (My current laptop is 6 years old and is named Titan because it's very powerful.)

My avatar is the KC-46 Pegasus now entering service.  It's based on the Boeing 767.

The original Pegasus was a pterippus, a divine winged stallion.  Gillian Anderson looks nothing like Pegasus.

Actually, the first Pegasus was Tim Pigott-Smith. Gillian Anderson comes later in Johnny English Reborn.

Btw, I couldn't make out what kind of plane that is because it's a bit on the small side on my phone.

I thought maybe you worked in the airline industry somewhere.

Now here's a Pegasus:

I'd like to see one of these fly over my house.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Thread drift maybe closer than it appears.

zorba said:
    BattleStar Pegasus!

I'm pretty sure that's not it :D

Spk said:
    Actually, the first Pegasus was Tim Pigott-Smith. Gillian Anderson comes later in Johnny English Reborn.

Btw, I couldn't make out what kind of plane that is because it's a bit on the small side on my phone.

I thought maybe you worked in the airline industry somewhere.

Now here's a Pegasus:

I'd like to see one of these fly over my house.
    :D

Yeah, probably not.  Pegasus had MUCH bigger wings, the ones depicted with this fake Pegasus would never sustain flight.

I never saw Johnny English or the second one, I had to Bing that.  I had also never heard of MI7, for obvious reasons.

edited April 2019 #26
    It's capable of flight because it's magical. Magik makes anything possible.
    ;)

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    Here's the real Pegasus.

I saw it moored at the 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego.
    No good deed goes unpunished...
    That would tend to get your attention if it was headed your way!

edited April 2019 #29
    Gila said:
    Here's the real Pegasus.

I saw it moored at the 32nd Street Naval Station in San Diego.
    I would love to see a fleet of these as drug interdiction vessels (VBSS).
    👍

• GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member

No good deed goes unpunished...