Home Main Category Hunting

Iowa Spring Turkey Opener: 1st in Iowa & 1st with a Wing Bone Call

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,149 Senior Member
I got lucky earlier in the year and drew a non-resident Iowa Region 5 Spring turkey tag.  I have a private land contact over there who set me up and helped keep dibs on the birds.  The catch is that these non-resident seasons are very short.  In my case, I drew Season 1, and only had April 8-11 to get my first Iowa bird down.  Moreover, I wanted to get it done using my first-ever wing bone call.  I made it from the Nebraska bird that I bagged just 2 weeks ago, and learned how to use it by practicing in my truck in that timespan.  I took a few days of leave and made this morning the litmus test for my newly acquired wing bone call-making and calling skills.

I set up on a field edge near a couple of hundred yards from a roost tree.  A rise in the cut bean field before me made for good cover approaching my blind, which I had set up this past Friday to minimize gameday disturbances.  As soon as the first hen clucks started about 30 minutes before sunrise, I made a few of my own on the wing bone call and earned some gobbles in return - definitely a good sign!

The first appearance was a single hen who came through within 15 yards.  Within a few minutes, she fed her way over the field rise, drawing my eyes to three Toms working their toward my calling.  They were taking turns strutting and otherwise displaying in my direction until one bird caught sight of my Avian-X strutter decoy.  I had it set up with a real Jake fan in its rump and paired with a feeder hen decoy.  The anger surged immediately and all 3 birds started charging in at half-strut, looking to thump the perceived interloper.   

Thump they did.  All of the Toms surrounded the Jake decoy, spitting and Indian dancing around him until one finally kicked the decoy to the ground.  They continued circling the rubber Jake as it listed forward like a torpedoed ship.  After picking out a nice bird and waiting for him to separate, I sent a 3.5" load of #6 Winchester Long Beard XR into his neck, folding him right up and ending my hunt before all of the birds were even out of the roost.

His buddies hung around for a long time, offering a chance to have some fun with my owl hooter shock call.  I even got to watch a still-roosted gobbler strutting to my calls on a tree limb behind them with the hunt already well over.  Needless to say, this was one to remember!

Hunt Video: 

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I think you're part Native American. 

Snatching the feathers from a live eagle will be next.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Nicely done Luis....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    sweet
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Thank you, fellas. It’s been a great year already between these first two season openers in Nebraska and Iowa. One more coming fast in Missouri this coming weekend and thenoff to Kansas at the end of the month. Gonna be a busy April.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    VERY cool video, I was getting antsy waiting for a clear shot to present for you. You driving with your knee while practicing with the wing bone and slate :#
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • RaptortrapperRaptortrapper Posts: 94 Member
    That is so awesome!!! I hope to get my first one this weekend.  I can't wait!  
    Some people are like a slinky-- not much fun till you push them down the stairs!
    edited April 2019 #8
    CHIRO1989 said:
    VERY cool video, I was getting antsy waiting for a clear shot to present for you. You driving with your knee while practicing with the wing bone and slate :#
    Yeah, I was trying to avoid 1) shooting multiple birds with them weaving all around like that and 2) putting pellets into that pricey inflatable strutter decoy.  As you noted, it took a minute to get an open shot.

As for the wing bone call, I have yet to use it with a slate, only as a mouth/suction call (and that sucker is LOUD when used that way).  Any time I was waiting at a red light, I tried a few yelps.  The accumulation of a lot of time and practice on those stops was incredibly useful in getting proficient and confident enough to actually use it in the field.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    I did not know you could use it as a mouth call. I suck using diaphragm calls.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited April 2019 #10
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I did not know you could use it as a mouth call. I suck using diaphragm calls.
    Yeah, it works great as a mouth call.  In fact, the calling you hear me doing at the top of the video to the roosted birds is with the wing bone used as a mouth call.

There’s a technique to using it and you won’t be good with it overnight, but with practice, it sounds excellent and you can see how well it works.