Home Main Category Clubhouse

Keto diet range report

coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior MemberPosts: 6,611 Senior Member
Wide and son started "keto" (they haven't cut carbs completely, but have cut them way back) and we're coming up on one year.  As you probably can imagine, sticking to any weight loss diet involves much more than just changing what you eat, and this was no different.  I never considered Lori "fat" (I honestly wouldn't care), but she certainly did, and it showed.  She dressed to hide herself.  Suburban camouflage.  Noah was much the same... lots of grays, sweat shirts, etc.  He was definitely approaching maximum density.

Almost one year later, they have lost (together) ~ 200 lbs, with him losing more than half of that.  She never weighed herself, so we don't know what her starting weight was and he still won't say, so that number is an educated guess.  

Keto (or "keto-ish" like they do) isn't for everyone, but it certainly worked for them. 
"Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
George Carlin

Replies

• CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #2
    Wide and son started "keto" (they haven't cut carbs completely, but have cut them way back) and we're coming up on one year.  As you probably can imagine, sticking to any weight loss diet involves much more than just changing what you eat, and this was no different.  I never considered Lori "fat" (I honestly wouldn't care), but she certainly did, and it showed.  She dressed to hide herself.  Suburban camouflage.  Noah was much the same... lots of grays, sweat shirts, etc.  He was definitely approaching maximum density.

Almost one year later, they have lost (together) ~ 200 lbs, with him losing more than half of that.  She never weighed herself, so we don't know what her starting weight was and he still won't say, so that number is an educated guess.  

Keto (or "keto-ish" like they do) isn't for everyone, but it certainly worked for them. 
    That is awesome. It works when you stick to it. 

I started a "keto-ish" diet January 2018. I estimate about 65 lbs lost, (I didn't weigh in the beginning, either.)  My pants went from 40" waist to 34". I donated about $2000 in clothing to the local thrift store. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Awesome guys!

I am back on the wagon again after slacking for months. Between Bum Wine, and developing bread and pasta recipes for the food truck, it was making things very difficult. Now I have been working on regular and diet friendly recipes for soups and salad dressings, plus I picked up a commercial zoodle maker which has helped quite a bit. Since getting serious 3 weeks ago, I am down 12 pounds. My strategy has been low carb but also somewhat low fat-- in a nutshell, I primarily eat lean meats and lots of vegetables. Then I track it on MyFitnessPal. It may not work for everyone, but it seems to work for me when I stick to it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Deb and I are eating kinda like Jerm is in that we're backing off on carbs and even though you can eat fat on a ketoish diet, you don't have to. We've been replacing pasta with vegetables cut into noodles, spagetti squash, lots of roasted vegetables, mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, fried chicken made with crushed pork rinds and parmesan for breading, ect. It's actally kinda fun to experiment with different foods. We picked up soy flour, coconut flour, wheat germ, and some thickening agents and have been experimenting with some low carb breads as most of the commercially available stuff is almost inedible. I also plan on getting a pasta extruder that Jerm had recommended. This weekend I plan to experiment with crackers and chips. We've been using more eggs but at least farm eggs are lower in cholesterol than storebought eggs.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    I think - for the majority of folks - the most important "diet" to use is a diet of the mind.  IOW, making up your mind to do it, stick to it and follow through.  Gaining weight requires little effort... losing it takes commitment.  
    George Carlin
    Just to give you an idea... this is my lunch. Chicken salad (made with light mayonnaise), a slice of cheese and lettuce on a low carb (and only 50 calorie) tortilla, a tomato, a cucumber, a bell pepper, and a couple of sticks of celery. I may use a little Tony C's season salt with the veggies. Then unsweet iced tea to drink. It comes out at 550 calories and 25 net carbs. There isn't a thing I can think of on my plate that is not healthy over the long term.

-Thomas Paine
    These are those tortillas I have been talking about. The "high fiber" "tomato and basil" and "spinach" ones all are 50 calories and 5 net carbs. They don't taste like wood chips either. Kroger and Walmart sells them.

Pasta extruder? The Kitchenaid attachment is junk-- don't bother. Philips makes one that works exactly like a mini commercial unit and it kicks butt for home use... I picked up a refurbished one off of Amazon for $130 just like this...

And the Kitchenaid vegetable spiralizer attachement for making zoodles? I have not had good luck with mine at all. There are some hand crank ones on Amazon that have good reviews for much cheaper.
    -Thomas Paine
    I have heard a lot of success stories from keto (basically re-badgee atkins from a few decades ago), but also need to be careful with it, especially over the long term in terms of long term health effects. A friend of mine was on it and while he lost weight, his cholesterol went through the roof. 

My uneducated guess is that it works because Americans eat so many unnecessary empty carbohydrates. Think of typical fast food meal with 32oz of sugar water and 500 calories of fried potatoes to go with your protein of choice. Replace the first two with water and a salad and you're now down a good 800+ calories on the meal. Any diet that encourages eating reasonable quantities of lean protein and vegetables and limiting the random empty calories many of us tend to eat throughout the day will do a good job of cutting weight in a hurry. However, many people use the diet as an excuse to replace carbohydrates with tons of fat and that's no bueno for your health. 
    My keto-ish diet addressed exactly this. I quit eating the crap...chips, soda, sweets, ect. I eat a ton of vegetables (usually raw, my personal preference) and very little potatoes, bread and pasta. 

And I've gotten off my ass and exercising again. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

This is my snack pack for today and tomorrow. 

Adam J. McCleod

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:
    This is my snack pack for today and tomorrow. 

Great... he's becoming a Raw Food Vegan...
    Overkill is underrated.

Adam J. McCleod

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    I guess I am lucky with regards to diet. Working on the charters gives me access to fish, lots of fish. In an average week I would eat at least 8 to 10 or more meals of fish. Invariably after a charter I will have sashimi with pickled ginger,wasabi and soy sauce for at least 2-3 meals over the next 2 days, followed by pan fried fish ( using olive oil) after that.
    When I dont have fish I invariably fall back on venison......wild venison from the freezer.
    The only 'dairy based' food I have is trim milk with hot drinks like tea or coffee........and most times I have both black.
    I dont cook with butter, I use olive oil for cooking and olive based spreads like Olivani on bread etc.
    Bacon can be a downfall though, I have bacon 3-4 times a week, either on sandwiches or with eggs and hash browns for breakfast.

The biggest part about my eating habits is this.
    I dont eat regular meals like breakfast lunch and dinner ( supper for you heathens lol). I always have something to start the day but after that my body normally tells me to eat when my energy levels drop. When I have the need for food I will have a small meal like whole grain toast with olives, cheese, tomatoes, capsicum or celery..........or sandwiches with cold fish/venison.....crackers with venison salami, cheese and tomato.
    I rarely have a large meal at night. A couple of fillets of fish and maybe a tomato or 2 will suffice or a couple of pieces of venison.

For the last 10 years my weight has been stable at between 88 to 95 kilos.

Living alone helps as I dont have to take into account other peoples needs or wants and working at home ( when not on the boat) means I can prepare and eat whatever and whenever I like.

I have never had to diet.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,713 Senior Member
    Good luck with it-----all
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I am back on the diet as of today.  I hit 234 lbs ( an all time high even though I am about 6'3" ) and my BP has been awful.  I will lose 20 lbs...  it's a must.  Keto works for me as well.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,814 Senior Member
    Having been around that KIWI on here I think he could eat 5000 calories a day and lose weight. He runs around like the eveready bunny. I have to keep my carbs low for my blood sugar but fight weight all the time and I don't think my job helps. I did switch one of my meds, my heart Dr. didn't like it, and I went from hungry most of the time to feeling full a lot. I am down 15lbs. in 2 months.
  • AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I am on a diet and working out 4 times a week.  I am down 21 pounds as of today.  14 to go before I take stock and see if I want to lose more.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
    edited April 2019 #17
    This is what 626 calories and 40 net carbs looks like. It puts me at 1176 calories, 65 net carbs, with 41 grams of fiber and 113 grams of protein for the day (I try to get in 100 grams).
    The sauce on the side is half Open Pit and half Frank's hot sauce.
    -Thomas Paine
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    Lori currently tries to limit herself to 30 carbs, but that number isn't set in stone.  The boy isn't as diligent, but his metabolism is a tad more energetic. 
    George Carlin
    My brother in law went straight keto and lost 110 pounds. I don't think I could handle going that low where I would have to cut out a bunch of veggies-- take my bread, Oreos, and pasta, but not my veggies! I have always loved veggies. I am glad it is working out for her.

But you are right... the willingness to commit to a diet and then to stick with it is the key-- basically most diets work... if you stick to them. That is the hardest part.
    -Thomas Paine