Home Main Category General Firearms

What is a "bump stock" really?

JonathanBaileyJonathanBailey Posts: 58 Member
edited April 2019 in General Firearms #1
I must admit that I have not known or learned much about them until now but I have always stood with Gun Owners of America in opposing their banning. I hope the federal courts, if not SCOTUS, overturn the Trump ban. 

From the animation at even the New York "Slimes" website, it appears to me that a "separate function of the trigger" is required still for each and every successive round fired. The trigger still has to be reset and pulled for each successive round fired whether the movement of a human finger is pulling the trigger or the movement of the recoiling gun against a stationary human finger is pulling the trigger. I'm sorry, but a human finger is not a firearm's mechanism. Am I now a felon for possessing a trigger finger? Trump doesn't know squat about firearms. I was a Never Trumper and a Ted Cruz primary supporter, but Don got my vote in November of 2016 for fear that his opponent would be even much worse for gun rights in America. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/04/us/bump-stock-las-vegas-gun.html

Even the NRA turned against us on bump stocks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/las-vegas-shooting.html

Thankfully, I support Gun Owners of America who have never compromised on our rights since 1975. 

Answers

• das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
  • JonathanBaileyJonathanBailey Posts: 58 Member
    Ok, now I understand what a bump stock is. 

Personally, I don't support banning them even though I never have had personal interest in owning any of them.  I have always felt that a well-placed man-stopping shot was better for personal defense. 

They might still make a good defensive tool for an American citizen if such firepower these devices provide were ever needed to suppress an invasion or a large group of dangerous criminals. The government, however, should not decide whether you or I NEED a bump stock. 

I still feel adequately armed for home/personal defense with a police pump shotgun and with a good .38 Special revolver in legal concealed carry situations.  I do try to avoid large public events and venues at all costs. A large group of people, like "no-gun zones" is a huge magnet for bad or crazy people who are armed and dangerous. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    Whether the bump stock is legal to possess, you can still bump fire without any accessories...
    The need to do so eludes me though...I have fired enough FA firearms in my life to find bump firing akin to masturbation...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    I have fired enough FA firearms in my life to find bump firing akin to masturbation...

this

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Are they also going to make shoestrings and belt loops illegal?
    Another aspect of bump stocks that few seem to talk about is that they are prone to malfunction and really hard on the firearm itself...
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Another aspect of bump stocks that few seem to talk about is that they are prone to malfunction and really hard on the firearm itself...
    If I remember correctly, there's some thought that multiple of the Vegas shooter's ARs were found to be somewhat jammed. Also, from what I've read bump stocks can be sensitive to the overall trigger used.  Point is, it's not a simple "drop it in and rock full-autoish" item like the media paints them to be.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Im surprised it took as long as it did to ban them.  Personally I find them rather stupid on many levels, but I do not agree with the ban or the way it was done.

edited April 2019 #10
    Teach said:
    Are they also going to make shoestrings and belt loops illegal?
    mitdr774 said:
    Personally I find them rather stupid on many levels

and for some exceptional people it appears a ban would be a prudent thing to do
    maybe ban socks next  :)

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    I don't like the knee length socks -- too itchy. They should be ban.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    I need them to wear with my kilt...stop trampling on my rights!
    Jayhawker said:
    Spk said:
    I need them to wear with my kilt...stop trampling on my rights!

maxi kilt for you.

That would be a Zorba kilt...
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    That should be the new name. A Z-Kilt!

Where is Zorba's? He should be dancing around here somewhere.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #16
    I must admit that I have not known or learned much about them until now but I have always stood with Gun Owners of America in opposing their banning. I hope the federal courts, if not SCOTUS, overturn the Trump ban. 

From the animation at even the New York "Slimes" website, it appears to me that a "separate function of the trigger" is required still for each and every successive round fired. The trigger still has to be reset and pulled for each successive round fired whether the movement of a human finger is pulling the trigger or the movement of the recoiling gun against a stationary human finger is pulling the trigger. I'm sorry, but a human finger is not a firearm's mechanism. Am I now a felon for possessing a trigger finger? Trump doesn't know squat about firearms. I was a Never Trumper and a Ted Cruz primary supporter, but Don got my vote in November of 2016 for fear that his opponent would be even much worse for gun rights in America. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/04/us/bump-stock-las-vegas-gun.html

Even the NRA turned against us on bump stocks:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/las-vegas-shooting.html

Thankfully, I support Gun Owners of America who have never compromised on our rights since 1975. 

Maybe I'm radical, but I have a different view of all this. When I first saw a bump stock at the 2017 SE Shoot, I knew there would be trouble. It in effect makes a standard semi auto AR into a full auto fire arm, which has been illegal since 1934. Why are some of us wasting our energy and resources on fighting unwinnable fights? My view is we fight the gun law of 1934, whatever they called it. It is plain out and out unconstitutional. We need to all concentrate on getting that dinosaur pi ece of legislation repealed. One problem I see with doing that is it makes the federal treasury rich with all the annual fees collected. Then there's the left to deal with. But we are a force to be reckoned with. I really believe if we stand together and put our minds to it we could get this done.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,660 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    That should be the new name. A Z-Kilt!

Where is Zorba's? He should be dancing around here somewhere.
    I'm here - and I do like that skirt!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."