Home Main Category General Firearms

CETME and SLR

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,744 Senior Member
About 20 years ago I had one of each.  They'd been re-welded to semi, of course.  I didn't shoot them much, but to fire for reliability I shot 5 rounds at 100 yards.  I wasn't concentrating on aiming, but put 4 rounds into an almost perfect square...the fifth ran out.  The SLR, a better looking rifle, but it was no shooter.

I wonder what happened to these imports.  For the money, they were servicable, I guess.  The wood on the CETME would heat up and begin smoking after 10 round or so.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Had a CETME but gave it to my cousin who didn't know he needed a battle rifle..
    They seem to still be around but not in the numbers they were 10 years ago....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #3
    Gene L said:
    About 20 years ago I had one of each.
     They'd been re-welded to semi, of course. 
    The SLR, a better looking rifle, but it was no shooter.

the SLR was semi-automatic only

you do mean the L1A1 inch pattern?

not the canadian/ australian heavy barrel L2A1/C2A1 (C2) or the metric FAL.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #4
    It was semi-of course-and I can't remember if was an inch pattern, or  metric. It had been rewelded and was fine and reliable.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #5
  • ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 362 Member
    I bought a Century CETME. I worked for one complete magazine and broke down, magwell widened out and would not hold a magazine. I have no idea what happened, no kaboom, everything fired just fine. Century declined to repair it saying the 1 year warranty had expired while it was sitting on the distributors shelf! I am not a tinkerer and didn't know any gunsmiths, but I was lucky to find a guy who wanted a project gun and I only took a small bath on the price. Mine also had the typical Century ground bolt, but I was unable to afford the +4 rollers to bring it back into spec for bolt gap...good thing I didn't waste the money. I will never, ever, ever, ever again buy anything that Century Arms International has built. My wife still will go into irritated spasms if I mention the word CETME.