Home Main Category Hunting

First turkey hunt on my new Missouri property and it went well!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,149 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in Hunting #1
Today, I notched my first turkey tag on my own property.  It was the Missouri Spring turkey opener and, for once, I had the opportunity to go scout for just one day a couple of weeks ago and follow it up with a quick and easy hunt.  It was definitely a good feeling.

Some light calling right at legal daylight with several different calls (my home made wingbone call, a Lonnie Sneed "Outlaw Hen" glass slate, and Primos 2" Hooks diaphragm) resulted in some gobbling, and a nice Tom flying down with a couple of hens to within 150 yards of my position.   

The gobbler and his girls wasted no time strutting and moving my way, but something down the hill caught their attention and actually spooked them toward me.  Not a bad thing, but they ran below the terrace line to my right, initially precluding a shot.  Thankfully, they all calmed down, and the gobbler make a critical mistake when he poked his head up above the terrace edge.  He was greeted with a 2 oz./#6 load of 3.5" Winchester Long Beard XR at 41 yards, and the hunt was over at 6:54 AM.

That's the third bird taken in the third different state so far this season.  Next weekend, the adventure travels to Kansas when I to try and make it a "Midwest 4-for-4".  It will be my first ever guided turkey hunt: an attempt to bag a pure Rio Grande gobbler and get within 1 subspecies of a Grand Slam with just the Osceola remaining.  It will also be nice to have someone do all of the legwork!

For now, I'm just happy to have another one-and-done hunt in the books this season, and getting it on my own place really made this a special hunt.

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Well done Luis!  That " Turkey peeking over the rise" thing made me chuckle....had a similar thing happen in KS when I had a bunch of birds coming in off the prairie....Brer Tom poked his head up, then ducked down, I was waiting for him when he peeked again....when I went over to pick him up, his buddy was laying there next to him , dead as a post...good thing I had another tag, but that sure wrapped up my season for that year...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Haha!  Gotta love an accidental two’fer!  

A local friend had a similar experience to yours when he took his brother-in-law hunting and thought that he had missed a bird that poked his head out from behind a tree.  When the bird stuck its head out again, he instructed said BIL to fire immediately, but it seemed he missed again as the bird stuck its head out again!  

He then decided that he would tag it himself and grabbed the gun.  The gobbler stuck its head out again, and my buddy fired.  Nope.  Head came out from behind the tree, and when he shot AGAIN, no head came back out.  

They were baffled until they walked over and found FOUR dead birds in a pile behind the tree trunk!  Seems that each time one went down, the next one peeked from behind the trunk to see what was going on.  They tagged 2 birds a piece and laughed the whole way out of the woods.

The best part of having them poke just their head up like that: no pellets in the meat whatsoever!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    nice bird
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    I rubbed your on screen head for good luck, I am going out wednesday AM, just blew up my Avian-X jake decoy for his maiden hunt.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    I rubbed your on screen head for good luck, I am going out wednesday AM, just blew up my Avian-X jake decoy for his maiden hunt.
    Good luck out there!  I have nothing but great things to say about those Avian-X decoys.  Every one of my Jake decoys has taken a beating from an angry bird.  They work extremely well.
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Nice hunt, thanks for sharing. Kansas wishes you luck when you travel here, our dog gets shock gobbles from barking at the cats every morning. 
    1965Jeff said:
    Nice hunt, thanks for sharing. Kansas wishes you luck when you travel here, our dog gets shock gobbles from barking at the cats every morning. 
    Thanks, Jeff!

I love shock gobbling birds. It’s crazy how almost anything can get them going when the mood is right.

The night before the hunt, I sat by the trailer on my place and listened for gobbling.  Like your dog, the sundown coyotes got the birds gobbling just before fly-up, which was a huge confidence boost going into the hunt.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Good hustle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    Congrats Luis
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Kind of off topic, how have the tics been in your neck of the wood(s) this year?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Kind of off topic, how have the tics been in your neck of the wood(s) this year?
    Yeah...literally the only downside to spring turkey hunting...
    Yeah, I just got in from my opening morning, did the Full Monty in front of the full length mirror, no tics and no turkeys
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Got one embedded in me when I scouted the property a week and a half before the hunt!  Not a good sign.  I went home and immediately treated my hunting clothes with permethrin.  I've got a feeling we're in for another terrible tick year.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Yeah, I just got in from my opening morning, did the Full Monty in front of the full length mirror, no tics and no turkeys
    Years ago in the Carrizo Nat'l Monument three of us hunting feral pigs...doing some bush-whacking...I was wearing tan pants, the other two were wearing full camo. We get out of the bush onto a trail. They notice my pants are covered in little brown spots. Yep, ticks. Three grown men stripping in front of each other similar to the leech scene in Stand By Me. 

We walked the trails back to the truck and drove straight home. It was like a biblical plague.

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Lymes is bad stuff, be careful folks.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Great Job Luis.  I bet it coming off your own property made it even more special for you.
    I have not shot one yet, but have been out for Osceola's twice now.  Have only seen a few birds during legal shooting season and time, but I know where you can drive a ways North on I-95 and most days you can see a few sitting in a small turn off area about 25 yards from the freeway.  Some say they are the smartest, good luck when you get your chance.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver - 

It was absolutely special to get one on a piece of land that is my own.  That’s the first time I can say that and it actually seems weird. 

The Osceola is absolutely one to bag when you get another chance. Smallest range of any bird makes it tough by default and I hear that calling them can be extremely tough.  It will make it all the sweeter for you when it happens.

(Sorry for the delayed reply, btw.  I’m in Kansas right now on a guided Rio Grande turkey hunt that I booked last year.  Let’s just say that day 1 went very well...report coming).
    Once you get that Osceola bagged you really need to round out your Grand Slam with an Oscellated

edited April 2019 #20
    ‘Snot a turkeh!  ‘Ats a peecoq!

Really though, an oscellated and a Gould’s would be on the menu immediately if the Oceola goes down.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Nice bird. I think you forgot the pic of the smoothbore flinter though..... :)

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    Nice bird. I think you forgot the pic of the smoothbore flinter though..... :)

Man, I have wanted to get it out in Nebraska, but all of the places I usually go on public here are along the Missouri River and got absolutely ravaged during the floods we just had.  Most are still underwater or the boat launches needed to get to them washed out.