Home Main Category Hunting

Going pig hunting next weekend, .223 factory load?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,702 Senior Member
Hey all, I got invited to a last minute pig hunt next weekend here in Texas at a friend's ranch. All I've got here at school long gun wise is my AR-15, which I'm sure will do just fine popping some smaller pigs. However, what do you guys suggest for factory loaded ammo?

I figured some of the 50gr Remington Pointed Soft Points would do just fine, what say y'all?

Twist is 1:9, BTW.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,756 Senior Member
    Are you meat hunting or doing population control? I would gravitate to a heavier bullet with a more solid construction , but then I'm only supposing since I have yet to kill a pig.
    I'm sure one of our swine-killing gurus will be along shortly with something a bit more detailed....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    One plus on your side is you'll be using an AR, so a follow up shot is a given. Just remember shot placement. It's more important than the bullet weight or construction. Just give him the ol' double tap. That will generally put down even some big hogs. My sone killed a big bore one morning with my 6mm Rem. 700 BDL. He shot it high just behind the neck and it wen't down grave yard dead at about 100 yards. With hogs it really is more about shot placement rather than bullet size. But if it's me I'd get some 55 grain bullets at least. You can get some Federal or Winchester Premium stuff with some good quality bullets of 55 grains or bigger.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    If you can find them my first choice would be Winchester 64gr. Power Points, but no every place carries them. I'd go with at least a 55gr. soft point or ballistic tip if I couldn't find something heavier. Winchester Supreme 55gr. Ballistic Silver Tips should work fine.

The one hog I killed with my CZ .223 I used 55gr. Hornady V-Maxes, it took two to bring him down at about 180 yards.

Scan5-2.jpg
  • 35RMB35RMB Member Posts: 56 Member
    Factory stuff I would use for hunting hogs are:

Federal Premium: 60grs Nosler Partitions, 53 grs Barnes TSX

Barnes VOR: 55grs Barnes TSX

COR-BON: 55 or 62grs Barnes TSX

Also, Winchester ammo loaded with 64grs Power Point as mentioned above.

They all should take hogs cleanly as long as you put them where they need to be.

Good Luck on your hunt
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    I couldn't find any 64gr Power Points locally, but it turns out Monarch (Przi Partisan rebranded by Academy) now sells a 55gr soft point load. They shot right at 2 MOA in my AR w/ red dot off a hasty rest, so they'll work. $10 per 20 and I can't complain. I'm going to load up my 20rds magazine and call it good.

Failing anything else, the other members of the hunting party are bringing a .30-06, 12 gauge, and 7.62x39. If I can get close enough I may even take one out with my 9mm.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    Not sure I'd trust a regular 55gr SP load. Most of them are designed for varmints and I'd worry about adequate penetration.
    In addition to the Win PP's already mentioned, these would be my choices.

Prvi Partizan also make a 75gr Match HP load, and it penetrated nicely in my wet paper tests and also expanded well.

The 62gr Fed Fusion (Civilian version of LEO Gold Dot ammo that BP used on his recent hog hunt with his daughter) would be another good choice IMO
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

I couldn't find any 64gr Power Points locally, but it turns out Monarch (Przi Partisan rebranded by Academy) now sells a 55gr soft point load. They shot right at 2 MOA in my AR w/ red dot off a hasty rest, so they'll work. $10 per 20 and I can't complain. I'm going to load up my 20rds magazine and call it good.

Failing anything else, the other members of the hunting party are bringing a .30-06, 12 gauge, and 7.62x39. If I can get close enough I may even take one out with my 9mm.

Today I ordered a box of 100 65 grain Sierry Game Kings to try. I have some 68 grain Hornady match bullets but I wanted a tougher bullets. I'll let you know how they work.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I was supposed to go hog hunting tonight but my guide didn't show. I think she fell asleep, LOL!!

Oh Well, gives me another day to get some ammo loaded. I'm lean on .223 rounds and I want to try it out on a pig.
    We went hog hunting last night (Thursday, Feb. 3rd) But got skunked. All we saw was a **** and some rabbits. Not even a snake, which was unusual for as warm as it was last night, which may explain the lack of hogs also. I did load some new bullets, the 68 grain Hornadays. I used 26.1 grains Varget. Going to the range in the morning to see how they do. They're match bullets and not sure how they'll hold up on a hog. However, I also ordered some 65 grain Sierra Game Kings which should be here in a couple of days. The Stevens with a 1-9 twist should do fine with them. I'm anxious to see how accurate they are. I seated them where the OAL is 2.38 inches. That's .003 farther out than the 60 grains are seated. However, these are match bullets.