Home Main Category Hunting

Kansas Rio Grande Turkey Two'Fer

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,149 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in Hunting #1
Last year, I booked my first-ever guided turkey hunt with Misty Morning Outfitters in Alden, KS.  I was paired up with a guide named Casey who actually hails from upstate, New York.  He's hunted turkeys all over the country and proved to be extremely good at his job and very personable.  We hit it off right away and worked very well as a team in the field.   It went so well that we talked about a hunting together elsewhere outside of his work and exchanged info.

Long story short, I killed my first two ever Rio Grande turkeys in as many days, making it 5 total birds so far this season.  Better still, I met my personal challenge to kill a bird in all '4 corner states" in the heartland this season: Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas.  

I used the same Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 paired with a Primos Jellyhead .660" constriction choke tube that I've used as my shotgun setup all season.  The shells were also the same 3.5" Winchester LongBeard XR 2 oz./#6 load used previously.  The both birds were shot on successive days at just about 20 yards.  

The first came into a decoy spread bristling with fighting purrs on the way past our natural cedar blind with 5 yards.  He had his mind on the Jake in the spread, but right when Casey, whispered to take the shot, he either heard or saw us and started to boogie out.  At that point, I led him like a pheasant and squeezed one off on the swing.  The bird dropped in his tracks and that was that.  10" beard and the longer of two two spurs was right at 1"

The second bird was one of the coolest encounters I've had in a while.  We spotted a gobbler feeding very far out with our binos - about 500 yards away.    He was moving straight away, so it was just a matter of setting up to intercept him somewhere up the line.  We needed to cover a lot of ground, but had the benefit of a long woods stretch for cover and kept tabs on his position as we moved up.  

Once we got to a spot ahead of the gobbler, we lost sight of him and waited for him to appear.  Eventually, that plan was interrupted when 2 other longbeards came out to our left and slipped behind a cedar patch within 30 yards.  I had to slink absurdly slowly over a log to get to a clear shooting lane, and the instant I got flat on the ground and retrieved my shotgun on the other side of the log, I see the beard, breast and base of the neck of the first gobbler we were trying to intercept in front of me at 20 yards!  Amazingly, his head was obscured by a deadfall log, so I could see him, but he couldn't see me.  After a quick assessment to ensure a clear shot, I sent round into the base of his neck.  I haven't taped him yet, but he's definitely a bit smaller than the first bird.  No complaints!

Did I mention that we found a pound and a half of morel mushroom while were out there?  Yeah, it was a great time...

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Awesome! Love hunting that country....did you check for ticks afterward? Pretty tricky country..

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Awesome! Love hunting that country....did you check for ticks afterward? Pretty tricky country..

I came armed with permethrin treated clothes and got home tick free.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    A little different color on those? Looks warm and dry there. 

Congratulations. Every shell in the box is hitting a bird.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    Belly crawling over logs for turkeys, " Hello, my name is Luis and I have a problem" ;)

Seriously, that is cool you got ahead of one and did not get busted by the other two.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    A little different color on those? Looks warm and dry there. 

Congratulations. Every shell in the box is hitting a bird.
    Yeah, this pure Rios have a very light buff tan on their fans.  The Rio/Eastern hybrids out my way have a much deeper tone, just not a full chestnut brown like a pure Eastern.
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Belly crawling over logs for turkeys, " Hello, my name is Luis and I have a problem" ;)

Seriously, that is cool you got ahead of one and did not get busted by the other two.
    No, sir!  The turkey had the problem 🤓

Yeah, these 2 were both real wild wild scenarios, and that second one was nuts for no other reason than having birds on both sides and having to switch gears on a dime.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:

..........  Better still, I met my personal challenge to kill a bird in all '4 corner states" in the heartland this season: Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas.  

Excellent result Luis. Setting  hunting goals is a great way to put yourself under pressure, achieving them is awesome and adds to the pleasure of hunting.

Well done.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    Six-Gun said:

..........  Better still, I met my personal challenge to kill a bird in all '4 corner states" in the heartland this season: Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas.  

Excellent result Luis. Setting  hunting goals is a great way to put yourself under pressure, achieving them is awesome and adds to the pleasure of hunting.

Well done.

Thanks, Alec!  Agreed.  There comes a point with certain game where you know that filling a tag is not the challenge it once was.  When you up the ante and give yourself and alternative objective, you keep it interesting.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Luis, Your slaying them! Turkeys best keep their heads down when you are in town.
    I did not get a shot this season, but will be in zone B in December
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver - 

What general area does zone B cover?
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

If you get good enough at that belly crawl, maybe you could run for President!  Not to mention you not only did it with a shotgun- - - - -you actually killed something!  John Kerry should take some lessons from you!

Teach said:

If you get good enough at that belly crawl, maybe you could run for President!  Not to mention you not only did it with a shotgun- - - - -you actually killed something!  John Kerry should take some lessons from you!

You made my night! 😂
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    Nice hunt, congrats on your season going as planned.
    1965Jeff said:
    Nice hunt, congrats on your season going as planned.
    Thanks, Jeff!  It was a very cool change of pace, as I had never been that far west in KS.  The terrain features totally caught me off guard as far as sandy soil and soil more rolling topography versus eastern KS.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Diver - 

https://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/zone-map/

Zone B is basically a cookie cut out of Zone C, which is HUGE.
    A co worker owns some acreage bordering the wildlife manage area in Orange County. With any luck it will be Turkey in the AM and a hog in the afternoon.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited April 2019 #17
    Diver43 said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Diver - 

https://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/zone-map/

Zone B is basically a cookie cut out of Zone C, which is HUGE.
    A co worker owns some acreage bordering the wildlife manage area in Orange County. With any luck it will be Turkey in the AM and a hog in the afternoon.

Ok, thanks!  You’ve got a great setup going to do exactly what you’re after.  Hopefully, you’ll return with a two’fer hunt report of your own.  Good luck!

I was actually looking at putting in for a few of the public land/WMA drawings in Polk and surrounding counties, so it turns out that’s right where you are.  Those limited draw hunts have great reviews if you can get pulled for them.