Home Main Category Clubhouse

A theft

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,741 Senior Member
Yesterday, at about 4 pm, I had a recliner delivered to my home.  On a table next to the recliner was a fly reel...a nice Hardy.  When the deliverymen left, my reel was gone.

I didn't notice it was missing until Friday morning.  I know I can't prove it, but called Haverty's to bitch.  I was told they subcontract on deliveries.

No contact.  I figured these scum will pawn the reel, since they are not typical fly fishermen and not typical eBay customers.  So today I called my old boss, the Sheriff, sent along the details from ebay where it was listed to sell, and he'll have the detective who goes through the pawn shop tickets to look out for it.  He's got a photo, and there is one especial feature not shown that will allow me to identify it if it turns up.

The reel is worth $200 at least, so it's not a minor thing to me.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I am sorry to hear that Gene. I hate thieves!
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that...hope you get it back...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    My Dad's older brother thought the fuel delivery guy took his wallet. He later found it under the desk blotter. Not saying this is the case here, but you've found guns you forgot you had. Wouldn't hurt to look around some. 
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,741 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #5
    Me and my fishing pal looked all over the place.  At first, I thought I'd misplaced it, and so did he, but no, it was there Thursday morning so I could photograph it for ebay.

A word to the wise on ebay: It's a helluva lot easier to buy than to sell.  A pain in the ass.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,916 Senior Member
    Sorry to hear that Gene, thieves suck
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #7
    I consider this thread as a public service announcement. I'm having a bed delivered this week. I'll make a point to put stuff away. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    That blows - you always gotta keep your eyes peeled.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member
    I don't disagree with the Muslims on everything.......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,188 Senior Member
    That really stinks, Gene;  I hope you get it back.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    There are few things I hate more than a thief... I'm with jbpohio.  Folks would be a little more hesitant to help themselves to things that don't belong to them if they thought they stood to lose more than they gain. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    I hate a thief. Hope it works out for you.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    As a retired cop, I would never allow strangers in my house to deliver something without watching everything they do. Thieves always look for opportunity.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I was watching them.  There were two of them, and I couldn't watch both at the same time all the time.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    I was watching them.  There were two of them, and I couldn't watch both at the same time all the time.
    It wouldn't surprise me if these two dirtbags had a little sideline of stealing people's stuff wherever they go.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I called and complained.  The deliverymen took photos of the chair after delivery...the pictures show the table but no reel.  I said, "That means they took the reel before they took the pictures."  No help there.  I'll put it down to experience.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    In the mean time, check local listings , Ebay, etc...  

You may not find it, but you just might. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin