Home Main Category General Firearms

Cyro treating barrels

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,744 Senior Member
This was a big (moderately) thing for a short time.  I'v read it does absolutely no good, and I've read it's the best thing since centerfire ammo.  Freezing the barrel according to the promoters is supposed to line up the molecules...or something.  It seems to have gone the route of moly bullets.  What do you think?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    According to Shilen's website, it's all a bunch of BS.  Of course, some people say Shilen barrels are junk, but they do sell a lot of therm. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I remember when it was a thing...seemed like a bunch of bull then...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    That's my memory, too.  Gun Mags built it up with pseudo science, like they always do to jump on any headline.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,052 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #5
    BS.

I've shot a few small things a long ways off.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    The website even admits that quality well made barrels will shoot accurately despite having stresses. I suspect those that would benefit the most would be folks with wandering barrels to begin with. Shilen makes pretty good barrels so I'm not surprised they didn't think very highly of this process.

If you have the funds Gene and a crappy barrel you like but it doesn't shoot so good, give it a try and tell us how it works out.

Btw, they do heat up the barrel. It's a process that ranges from +300 to -300 degrees. They computer control cycle it over a 3 day period. They also warn of other companies that don't do the process they (300below) do and actually hurt people's barrels.

Seems interesting. I've never tried it and don't plan to either. :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,960 Senior Member
    I have had a few barrels cyro'd but only after a lot of research, that being the massive machine shop at the airline where I worked, seems the VP of maintenance had a lot of tooling ( drills, reamers, end mills, lathe bits) cyro'd, when the results were in the machinists claimed approx 30 to 50% longer life before re-sharpening, since I was able to get a 50% discount I had some barrels done. Can I tell you that the barrels were more accurate after than before, no i cant, all i know for sure is my 22-250 barrels that were treated lasted longer than those that were not.

My advice is if you want to try it and money is no object, do it, but dont expect any miraculous change in accuracy.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    You mean there is still somebody out there selling that mumbo jumbo?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Since you asked :D

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    I lived in Wisconsin, didn't have to send barrels out for the Cyro treatment!! :)
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,959 Senior Member
    BS.

I've shot a few small things a long ways off.

Mike
    If you only had a witness. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

So you heat treat the action and cold treat the barrel?

Makes perfect sense.

Jerry

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member

So you heat treat the action and cold treat the barrel?

Makes perfect sense.

Yep.  It appears cryo treating requires REALLY cold temps to affect the structure of the metal, but only improves the hardness by 1 or two points, however, it makes the expansion of the metal when heated more uniform ( less variation ).  Does it really help the average gun?  No, in my opinion.  

However, if I were a bench rest shooter, I am pretty sure I would cryo treat my barrel just because it MIGHT give me a tiny edge, and that is where those guys live. ( given my overthinking nature )  Shrinking a group by .125 wins competitions.  Changing my POI on the average game animal, not so much.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Yet very few BR shooters cryo their barrels.
    How do I know this?? If someone finds something that helps them win, As soon as word gets out about it, EVERYONE is going to know about it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,150 Senior Member
    Seems like BS to me, though one gun that I own does have the treatment.  Stranger still, that gun happens to be a Benelli Super black Eagle 3 shotgun.  How on earth the theories behind cryo treatment could benefit a smoothbore are even more perplexing.  They claim it produces 13.2% denser patterns, but I have a hard time digesting it.

https://www.benelliusa.com/crio-system
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Heat treating the barrel of a shotgun for me makes about as much sense as buying my 87 year old mother a Porsche.
    Jerry

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Heat treating the barrel of a shotgun for me makes about as much sense as buying my 87 year old mother a Porsche.
    Well if the policy was in your name and high enough may be worth considering.
    Save you from buying a mother's day present from here on to boot.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,101 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    <snip>They claim it produces 13.2% denser patterns, but I have a hard time digesting it.

https://www.benelliusa.com/crio-system
    From your link...
    ...with a cryogenically treated, longer choke tube.

hmmmmm, a longer choke tube, so a more gentle exit with possibly less deformation of the pellets, but the fact the barrel got dunked in some liquid nitrogen is what makes the difference...
    Yeah, right

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,267 Senior Member
    Falls into the category of "Doesn't hurt, might help, irrelevant for most applications".

Stress-relieving of steel is certainly a real thing.  Some steel needs it, other steel doesn't.  How do you know your barrel is in one camp or the other, and not suffering from some other dimensional gremlin?

It's probably worth trying if you have a barrel that isn't living up to expectations after trying all the usual stuff - load development, torque adjustment on screws, etc..., as that's considerably cheaper than a new barrel.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee