Home Main Category Clubhouse

anybody had any hands on with one of these, still have all fingers and toes left?

das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in Clubhouse #1

ryobi RTMS1800-G miter table saw combo

got access to both a bench saw and a chop saw

on the repair shed floor

but they don't like me playing with the grown up stuff

with more free time at home

more than a few jobs

and limited space at the back of the garage

some reviews on youtube

but they all talk funny

oh..... ermm :D;)

any input would be much appreciated

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I have always lacked the organizational prowess needed to take full advantage of 'combination- type power tools, but they probably make sense for a small work area.

I have used a few Ryobi power tools, and they were OK - much better than the others at the same price point (at that time). Personally, the only table saws I have found useful were the heavy commercial models, when cutting full sheets of plywood. The table-top models I have tried to use were never accurate enough to make them better than a good circular hand saw with a home-made rip guide.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    No experience with that unit, or even much with Ryobi tools at all... but, I haven't heard anything bad, so there's that.  Since tool types tend to get extra grouchy about bad tools, I assume that no news is good news, or at least not bad news.  

Sorry, but that's all I can offer. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    When my dad gave me my grandpas old table saw, it came with explicit instructions that I was to NEVER use the saw unless someone else was home.  Now the miter saw on the otherhand never had such instructions attached to it when it was given to me for use around my new to me at the time house.  I still have all digits saw mark free.
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member

Dad was a big ryobi fanboy

just stuck with and added to what he left me

always been fairly good at carpentry

house maintenance in general

far removed from my army/day job

I do not go near motors

always get a man in

thank you all
    think I will treat myself

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I have a similar saw...there are so many safety features on the damn thing you can scarcely use it....and you need three arms to change blades....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    Generally speaking combo tools are too much of a compromise to be be of much use to me, not quite accurate enough or convenient enough to top just buying or borrowing the right tool for the job