Home Main Category General Firearms

New Hornady A-Tip, Real Advantage or Snake Oil?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,733 Senior Member
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-tip-match?fbclid=IwAR0HKPBywQs4772dfe7Uhn6lAx9ZzRvcG_nTdUpGPGnqEMq_pibQslU-3zY#!/

What sayeth the group? A new aluminum tip supposedly is the best thing since sliced bread. As best as I can tell, it mainly adds more weight to the same bullet length vs. a plastic tip. Does it really matter?
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    The BC''s certainly are high.
    I think they have merit just not in any application I'm  likely to use.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I think they're the real thing. The question is, are the purchasers the real thing???

Only certain people, small in number, will actually have the skill and means to benifit from incremental advantages. The rest are Walter Mitty wannabes or like me, happily mediocre.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I think they're the real thing. The question is, are the purchasers the real thing???

Only certain people, small in number, will actually have the skill and means to benifit from incremental advantages. The rest are Walter Mitty wannabes or like me, happily mediocre.
    While this may be true, if it's better it will sell. The majority of products that people buy can do more than the average person needs but we buy them anyway. Years ago 3" at 100yds was considered good enough for a thick woods hunting rifle and now most folks don't want to own anything that can't shoot 1" groups.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,070 Senior Member
    I just heard about them in an email from one of the e-tailers I deal with. After watching the short video on them, I think they show promise to a certain, small but growing, group of shooters.

For most of the general shooting world, I don't see a lot of usefulness.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited April 2019 #6
    I am curious what they're going to charge for the sequential boxing

Just checked... pre-order from Midsouth Shooter's Supply, the 6.5mm 135gr A-Tip are $74.99/100

HARD pass from me
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• AccipiterAccipiter New Member Posts: 885 Senior Member
    I shoot several calibers, and weights of A-max and ELD X bullets.  They work for everything I need them to do.  I do not see a need to move to this bullet.  Hornady used to be, imho, an excellent bullet maker for a relatively bargain price.  It now seems to me they are trying to move into the expensive boutique bullet maker category.
    Apparently free thought is punished, and conformity is required, while peckerless cowards run the show.

ECHO...ECHO....echo...

Ah......One savors the hypocrisy!

Karma.........It’s a bitch.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    “Extend your range and increase your accuracy with this one weird trick!”

”Rife training companies hate him!”

Not saying they ARENT the next best thing... But so was Moly coating and cryogenic barrel treatments
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    I won't be happy until they come out bullets that have unfolding fins for flight correction -- an onboard user controlled guidance system and an explosive charge in the tip with a tunsten penetrator in the core.

And it had to be available to the public at an affordable price.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I would guess that if they are better and people win matches with them they will sell. I am happy with Hornady working to improve their products even when that product is not something I would use. If it works other companies will follow and if it bombs they will laugh, that's the American way.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Someone needs to send a box to Zee to test out for us.....
    https://www.hornady.com/bullets/a-tip-match?fbclid=IwAR0HKPBywQs4772dfe7Uhn6lAx9ZzRvcG_nTdUpGPGnqEMq_pibQslU-3zY#!/

What sayeth the group? A new aluminum tip supposedly is the best thing since sliced bread. As best as I can tell, it mainly adds more weight to the same bullet length vs. a plastic tip. Does it really matter?
    Short answer, it does matter.

Adding more weight to the front moves the center of mass forward (closer to the center of pressure, the force trying to make the bullet tumble in flight)

More importantly, will it matter to me. Probably not. I don't shoot long range or with a very high degree of accuracy or precision. El Cheapo, on sale bullets are good enough for my needs.

Someone like Peg might actually like this new offering. He'll have to let us know.

From the ad, I gather this is their new premium long range target fair and that's good to know. 👍

This article might be useful to some of you on the forum.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    I have a .50 cal A-Max bullet given to me during a Hornady factory tour at least 12 years ago that has an aluminum tip.  Presumably, those were the only A-Max offerings of that time.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Requires a Hornady seating stem that will only work with Hornady dies. Comes will a polishing rag since they don't bother to do that before selling for $0.75 each. 

What's not to like?

I'm a big fan of Hornady bullets in general but not these.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Requires a Hornady seating stem that will only work with Hornady dies. Comes will a polishing rag since they don't bother to do that before selling for $0.75 each. 

What's not to like?

I'm a big fan of Hornady bullets in general but not these.
    That right there is going to be a killer.  Clearly, these bullets target an extremely niche market and most folks will balk at the cost of the  product alone.  Now you are going to try and sell a boutique-equivalent bullet to a crowd that isn’t typically using Hornady reloading hardware...presumably in hopes of pushing them that direction.  

That’s going to be a stretch and a helluva business risk unless 1) the guy who just so happens to win a major match decides to go that route with both bullets and the hardware, or 2) other manufacturers immediately think these are the greatest bullets ever and crank out compatible seating stems ASAP.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited April 2019 #16
    My prediction...
    5 years from today, no one will remember anything about these bullets
    (except for the few people that bought into them and stocked up before stock was depleted)

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,026 Senior Member
    My BS meter is almost pegging out on this one.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,249 Senior Member

You mean the "new" aluminium tip that the Brits put in the MKVII .303 cartridge in 1910?

It made a difference in the BC back then, it will make a difference in the BC now.  Don't think it really matters if it's aluminum or plastic - it adjust the balance of the slug.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I've still got over 1 thousand Amax in the 6.5, I use them regularly,I haven't yet noticed any of them burning up and failing to reach target or any of the other  things that were said about them to make us buy the edl-x etc.
    Maybe I don't run them fast enough.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    edited April 2019 #20
    Owin, supposedly the tips were melting when pushed over 3k fps and after traveling ~300 yards.
    Honestly, most people don't routinely shoot in a manner to create those conditions, but the fear mongering sold a pile of the newer bullets

Maybe those aluminum tips need to be fitted with NASA heat shields so they don't burn up in the atmosphere on the way to the deer.
    :o

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,640 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    Maybe those aluminum tips need to be fitted with NASA heat shields so they don't burn up in the atmosphere on the way to the deer.
    :o
    Next big thing: Ceramic tipped bullets!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."