Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage 93 FV-SR .22wmr

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,903 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in General Firearms #1
I came across this rifle on the internet and liked how it looks.  All the write ups on it are positive, but I do not know anyone that has one.  
Anyone have one? Opinions?
Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    When I googled it, it came up Savage?????
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #3
    When I googled it, it came up Savage?????
    Your right, i came across it while looking at Marlins, my goof
    Fixed it,  didnt know you could fix a title
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I have two bolt action rifles chambered for this cartridge. One is Marlin, the other is a JC Higgins. Lack of accuracy with them limits me to 50 yard precision. If the Savage rifle will deliver them pills to the spot at 100 yards, you'll have something with semi serious capability. The advantage over 22lr is small, but its real. Sometimes a little extra smack comes in handy.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Fine looking rifle.  Personally, I've never owned a WFM.  Couldn't afford to shoot one back in the day, and I never saw a niche for it in my collection.  Too powerful for squirrels and such, too small for larger animals.  But those who own them love them..
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 433 Member
    I like mine a lot and 100 yards is not a problem I have a good scope on mine and keep it around for varmints at the farm
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I don't know the rifle but I'm a big fan of the cartridge. My brother gave me a Mossberg 640 K for Christmas in 1973 and I still have it. I put a 2x7 Bushnell scope on it and sniped a lot of bunnies with it in Wisconsin. We used to rabbit hunt around a country dump in Springfield Wisconsin and I would sit on a bluff looking down over the whole dump looking for movement in the snow. When I used a .22lr, I would lose about half of them but the .22mag almost always anchored them as far as 200yds. I also have a single shot pistol in .22wmr and it's a tack driver too, in fact I've never heard of a .22mag that wasn't accurate. In the near future, I plan on picking up a Henry lever in .22wmr also. Incidently, the .22wmr has more than just a little more juice than a .22lr, it has about twice the energy at 100yds and is great for bunnies and foxes and even up to coyotes inside of 100yds.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    gunner81 said:
    I like mine a lot and 100 yards is not a problem I have a good scope on mine and keep it around for varmints at the farm
    Very glad to receive feedback from someone that owns and shoots the gun.  I have always thought the .22 wmr was under appreciated for its performance and terminal power. I know that I killed my first hog with one
    I don't know the rifle but I'm a big fan of the cartridge. My brother gave me a Mossberg 640 K for Christmas in 1973 and I still have it. I put a 2x7 Bushnell scope on it and sniped a lot of bunnies with it in Wisconsin. We used to rabbit hunt around a country dump in Springfield Wisconsin and I would sit on a bluff looking down over the whole dump looking for movement in the snow. When I used a .22lr, I would lose about half of them but the .22mag almost always anchored them as far as 200yds. I also have a single shot pistol in .22wmr and it's a tack driver too, in fact I've never heard of a .22mag that wasn't accurate. In the near future, I plan on picking up a Henry lever in .22wmr also. Incidently, the .22wmr has more than just a little more juice than a .22lr, it has about twice the energy at 100yds and is great for bunnies and foxes and even up to coyotes inside of 100yds.
    I was thinking that exact power scope for this rifle.  I am about positive that I will pick one up soon and will need to figure out what glass for on top of it.  In the back of my mind I have a Vortex Crossfire II in 2-7 or a Bushnell in the same power. Was thinking the Drop Zone but believe they are calibrated for .22lr. 
    I wont be at the shoot this year, but will have it put together and ready to use next year.
    Scope suggestions are always appreciated as I know little about them.
    I don't really care for Bushnell products as I've had bad luck with them in inclement weather and bad experiences with their CS afterwards but I left that 2x7 on that rifle because it's worked ok for 46 years. I've recently picked up a Vortex scope for an AR and I'm starting to warm up to them and then there's always Leopold. They have lots of models in every price range.
    When and where I grew up, there were no jackrabbits, no coyotes, and very few groundhogs.  Which probably contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for the .22 WMR...plus I couldn't afford the ammo.  Nowadays, there are plenty of coyotes to shoot at, but I went with the .22 Hornet, which I inherited and couldn't afford ammo for it, either.
    I grew up in Wisconsin with lots of cottontails and my parents loved rabbit. I was a high school kid washing dishes part time and I could afford ammo for it.
    I can shoot my rifles accurate enough to maybe hit coyotes at 100 yards. Rabbits would be a stretch. 

I nailed a small empty pill jug repeatedly with one before my freinds could even touch it with their centerfires. That was along time ago and I suspect the current short fall is me.

Any way, I do like the cartridge, and modern ammo should show improvement over what was already good enough to gain converts.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,245 Senior Member
    Search Savage model 93 and find my review of the BV model. Good rifle for the $. I'm still planning to ditch the glass that came packaged with it but have been distracted with more interesting projects. 
    You guys grew up wealthy.  I had to buy shotgun shells by the individual, and what I shot, we ate. Very little recreational shooting in my pathetic childhood.  I don't remember any .22 Mags in my boyhood.  Great round for extending the .22 LR, but I didn't need it.  I got .22 LR range for rabbits, ( which my family also liked) and squirrels, ditto.  Depends on where you'r from I guess.
    Heck I was 20 some years old when I bought those rifles.

I grew up in the city. I wanted bicycles, fielders mits, and new tennis shoes as a kid. No place to shoot a 22.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    I have a CZ in .22 WMR and topped it with a Simmons 22 Mag 3x9 scope for $50.00 and it shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards, all day long.  One of my favorite rifles.  I think I would put better glass on it, but that $50 scope is fine for plinking.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    The Simmons .22 Mag scopes are really good for what they are.  I have one on one of my 10-22s and for the price it cant be beat.  However, this rifle will wear better glass, which I welcome suggestions for.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,689 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #19
    I was going to suggest a CZ 452 or 455 (The new 457 is "too fresh" to know if it's as good as its predecessors) but we're talking probably twice the price of the Savage.

Ron, check the Nikkon Rimfire line; the 3-9x40mm. can be found on sale under 100 bucks and quality is great for the price.

Seems like as in  .22LR rifles, you have to find the round yours will perform best with; since options are comparatively scarce you'll have to settle with the best performer you can get. 

That cartridge is pretty much seldom used here due to price and no preys inside its performace range (.22LR is enough for local available game); usually it's employed by poachers to kill deers or alpacas.
    Friend of mine recently got a Zastava bolt action full stock "just because" and so far has luckily proven to be quite accurate @ 135 yards with the Remington and Winchester rounds available here.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    A little over a year ago I bought two BSA Sweet .22 22-39X40AO rimfire scopes for my son's Marlin Glenfield model 25 and my daughter's Mossberg 702 Plinkster.  I have been very happy with them.  My son uses his to shoot the caps off of water bottles at 50 yards. I took them down to the rifle range so they could try their luck with the 12" gong at 100 yards......after 200+ rounds I could count their total combined misses on one hand.