Home Main Category Hunting

Monkey Meat

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
edited April 2019 in Hunting #1
Awhile back somebody brought up the show "Meat Eater on here and it was the general consensus here that it was one of the best shows on the outdoor and sportsmen channels and I generally agree.

Today I was watching an episode videod in Bolivia. Steve had killed a Monkey and they were preparing and cooking it. The thought of eating Monkey has always sickened me. But watching it done by people that no doubt eat it regularly as a big part of their diet cook it made it look damn near appetizing. In fact had I been there I'd have dived right in.

They didn't skin it, they put it in the fire and singed the hair off then scrapped it like you would a pig. Then they gutted it and cleaned it and tied it in a bundle and put it on a rack about 18 inches above the fire and cooked it slowly for 8 hours. It looked pretty appetizing other than the face and head. like Jerry Clower said about the monkey that shot Marcel's **** dog, "That thang looks too much like folks to be runnin' around here amonst us."

Have any of you ever eaten monkey to know it? If so, how was it?

Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Was it a Sputzmonkey? Or a Trunk Monkey?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Not me.  I know “it’s all meat” at the end of the day, but I would have to be pretty hungry.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #4
    NO and I barely escaped a monkey attack!
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Nope...ain't going to either...I've got my limits...
    I'm not really comfortable around a bear with it's skin off...they look way too much like a person to suit me...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    I figure if you burn it dark enough, it could be monkey or possum. The secret is to burn the crap out of it. 

Works for almost anything. Except raccoon. 

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    After having a group of them throwing rocks at us while we were running for the back gate of Clark AB in the PI, I would look forward to trying it. Especially the ones that were throwing the rocks.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Are you sure those were rocks? Or, perhaps, something a bit softer...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    Not me.  I know “it’s all meat” at the end of the day, but I would have to be pretty hungry.

Six this is the way I always felt until I saw this episode of Meat Eater.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I have tried everything that has ever been offered to me (raccoon, possum. armadillo, sushi, snake, bugs, carp, gar), but I would probably have to be pretty drunk to try monkey meat.
    edited April 2019 #11
    In South Africa they hunt baboons and shoot them as varmints, there's a few you tube videos of it.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member

I watched that episode about a year ago.  There was also an episode during which he did the same thing with a coyote.  He did not speak highly of the coyote's taste.

As I recall, Steve's comments were to the effect that he would never eat a primate, but decide to go ahead and do so as he was a guest in the village of the people who offered it to him.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I wouldn't eat the Pope either! ;)

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 604 Senior Member
    Having been fortunate to travel to some out of the way places. Trying monkey is not high on my list. As for the coyote I have not eaten that either but I have ate dog. I’m not sure if it was the fact I knew what I was eating or the type of dog or the preparation but it was something I’m in no hurry to try again.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Ain't eating no primate.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member

If you've ever patronized a street vendor selling those little meat and vegetable shish-kebabs roasted over a charcoal-burning Hibachi pot in Thailand, you'd be surprised what kind of meat you probably ate.  Fortunately, I was with a more experienced guy the first time I tried those things.  The first vendor we encountered was selling his wares for one Baht (5 cents)  My buddy insisted that that we should walk another block and buy from a different street vendor.  Same hibachi pot, same-looking snack- - - -TWO Baht!  "Why the price difference?" I asked.  "This guy is selling monkey- - - - -the other one is selling RAT!"

I didn't buy either one!

I think that my family has evolved far enough that I have no problem eating a wild animal. When I go hunting in Africa in a couple of years I'll make it a point to try some.
    "Rat anyone? Might be the last meal you get!"

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 604 Senior Member
    Actually the rats in places like Thailand, Laos , Cambodia are not bad they catch them in the rice fields. It’s actually a white type meat and not as expected
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 838 Senior Member
    My Grandfather finished WW2 up in Borneo, doing mopping-up patrols with the Dyaks.
    He said monkey was prime meat for them and that it smelled ok but when he saw it in the pot the arms looked like a little kids and he couldn't bring himself to eat it.

I've not had the opportunity yet, I can stand to wait some more though.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,953 Senior Member

I ate a "meat" sandwich from a sidewalk vendor in Juarez once.  It could have been monkey, but more likely dog, cat or rat.

He asked me if I wanted hot sauce on it, and I said "yeah, go light".  He must have thought I said "Damn Right!".

I was only able to eat about half of it because it was so damn hot.  Probably save me from God know what ailment.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Looks like I am the only one on here that actually has knowingly eaten monkey.  While living in West Africa as a teenager my brother brought in a monkey that he had shot.  Our mother's stipulation on cooking it was that he had to cut it up in such a way that it was not recognizable before she would touch it.  He did, she cooked it, we ate it.....tasted a little gamey, but otherwise ok.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    Don't know if I've eaten it or not. There were some food vendors at Danang and the mystery meat was rumored to be monkey or dog!! Hey, you get the munchies with a gut full of beer!