Home Main Category Hunting

Making a turkey gun

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,398 Senior Member
I was left unattended to long.... again.

My father had a 870 youth 20 ga for general use since he wanted something other than a rifle or handgun, so 10 or so years ago, I got him one. He is moving to assisted living and said I should take it. I have a 20 ga for pheasants already and a 12ga auto that I have never liked (hate would be a better term) but use for turkey so.......
The youth 20 has a 21 in bbl, and is good for 3 in shells. I just ordered a super full truglo choke combo that has FO sights and the choke. I also ordered a pistol grip 870 stock. Total, choke, sights, stock is 62 bucks. I think after the application of some flat paint, I will have a pretty fair dedicated turkey gun.

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,638 Senior Member
    I was left unattended to long.... again.

My father had a 870 youth 20 ga for general use since he wanted something other than a rifle or handgun, so 10 or so years ago, I got him one. He is moving to assisted living and said I should take it. I have a 20 ga for pheasants already and a 12ga auto that I have never liked (hate would be a better term) but use for turkey so.......
    The youth 20 has a 21 in bbl, and is good for 3 in shells. I just ordered a super full truglo choke combo that has FO sights and the choke. I also ordered a pistol grip 870 stock. Total, choke, sights, stock is 62 bucks. I think after the application of some flat paint, I will have a pretty fair dedicated turkey gun.

I used my Benelli this year just because it is the one I shoot the most, but 26" of barrel is too much in a blind, I have to see what I have in my stash for my 870's, I have a Millett DMS 1-4 on my 20 ga. for deer for the kids that was very handy with the youth barrel on it.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    Reviews on that TruGlo choke look pretty promising.  Any idea what shells you plan to use?  The TSS #9 has gotten stellar reviews for making a 20 GA into a legit 40-yard turkey hammer.  That said, they are utterly ruthless on the wallet (like $37 for 5 shots).
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    That will work...that's a great choke...just be sure to pattern that thing at a few different yardages....

I built my turkey gun based on a 12 gauge 1100 Remington with a 20" smoothbore slightly barrel with rifle sights and a Carlson ported turkey choke. Added a short magazine extension.

It's got a 2 3/4" chamber, but I have never found that to be a handicap. 
    Sprayed the thing down with Krylon to knock down the shine...it's killed quite a few birds
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,398 Senior Member
    Everything I have read and discussed with my turkey hunting buddy tells me that with heavy turkey only loads, it will be a 40 yard gun. The only thing I ever used was a 12 - 2 3/4 with regular Winchester 5 shot and that seemed to work. For where I hunt, 35 is going to be a long shot, so I will also pattern some cheap stuff.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    I found that mine liked #5  2.3/4" Mags best...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,644 Senior Member
    I bought a youth 870 for my daughters to turkey hunt with and it served them well, also with 3 inch chamber.
    Learned something yesterday. A 870 isnt an 870. So I ordered an adapter for the stock to drop it from a 12 (large 870) to a 20 (small 870). Problem is that aftermarket stocks like what I want are not made in "small".... thus the adapter.
    Being left unsupervised has its ups and downs. One down was I showed my patterns adn gun to a turkey hunting buddy and he said "Get the adjustable sights." So to Opticsplanet I go, 70 bucks. the scot in me says "Ye canna aim off a bit ya git?" I figure I can then I go to Amazon, and see the same scope I have on the 22/45 for 56 bucks. and a aimtech scope mount for 45.00. That passes value test and on the way it was. This ought to work, now I will have to get better ammo to make this worthwhile.

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,149 Senior Member
    I'm glad the Scot in you gave in and put a proper scope on that thing.  I have tried the hold-off-a-bit thing...yeah...at very close range and before the pattern has opened, that usually goes poorly.  Placing golf ball-sized pattern on the bobbing head/neck of a gobbler is hard enough, let along when trying to guess hold-off under pressure or at an in-between range.  

Personally, I'll never use an un-scoped turkey setup ever again.  It makes extremely close shots much more certain and even allows for far better shots when the gobbler decides to move at the last second and you have to make a flash adjustment.  

Note that the gobbler I shot on my farm yesterday morning decided to make a fast stepping strut movement right as I fired.  Having an accurate, proper aimpoint to put out in front of him saved the day - he walked right into the shot cloud:

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #11

The late,  great Nash Buckingham hunted ducks with a 3 1/2" 10 gauge double barrel.  When somebody asked him why he didn't shoot a 12, he commented "Don't send a boy to do a man's job!"  I'm of the same opinion about hunting turkeys with a 20 gauge- - - - -I guess it's OK for little kids, sissies, and snowflakes with lace on their drawers, but I prefer my Mossberg 500 3 inch chamber 12 gauge with a 20" Hastings ribbed barrel, TruGlow adjustable sights, and an Undertaker X-full choke tube!

In his day he was right when shot was formed in dinosaur tooth cavities. Plus the 20 was the right length, and the right price. As to the sentiment, mine is big enough that I dont need to compensate.