Home Main Category General Firearms

Anyone have any experience with Rock Island MS 1911 .45ACP ?

ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
edited April 2019 in General Firearms #1
I just bought a Rock River 1911 MS .45 ACP . Was wondering what those who have experience with it, what their opinions of it is?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    How do you like yours???
  • ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
    How do you like yours???
    How do you like yours???
    I'm loving mine! Just picked it up today, but haven't shot it yet. My health won't allow me to go shooting today. But I'm happy with it none the less, bcuz I've been wanting a 1911 .45ACP since I was a kid over thirty years ago. Just wondering what others, who have experience with the RIA ones opinions of them are, after owning theirs for awhile. My three gunsmith friends all told me that its a good, reliable gun.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,074 Senior Member
    edited April 2019 #4
    You mention in the title and OP it's a Rock River Arms, and then in your second post refer to it as a RIA (Rock Island Armory)

Which do you have?

I have no experience with a Rock River's 1911s, but I do have a Rock Island 1911 10mm that I like.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,727 Senior Member
    Rock River if Rock Island?  Rock River is a custom 1911, RI is a basic.  I have a good deal of experience with a RI, good pistol.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    How do you like yours???
    How do you like yours???
    I'm loving mine! Just picked it up today, but haven't shot it yet. My health won't allow me to go shooting today. But I'm happy with it none the less, bcuz I've been wanting a 1911 .45ACP since I was a kid over thirty years ago. Just wondering what others, who have experience with the RIA ones opinions of them are, after owning theirs for awhile. My three gunsmith friends all told me that its a good, reliable gun.
    I haven't had or shot a RRA or a RIA. Your story is great to hear though. I hope you get to shoot it soon. 30 years is a long time to wait. I suspect you'll be happy with it.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,708 Senior Member
    I shot Paul's and it shot fine.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Either that you it's a fine pistol. Who it and enjoy, either make will serve you a long time.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    knitepoet said:
    You mention in the title and OP it's a Rock River Arms, and then in your second post refer to it as a RIA (Rock Island Armory)

Which do you have?

I have no experience with a Rock River's 1911s, but I do have a Rock Island 1911 10mm that I like.

Its a Rock Island Arms. My autospell/autocorrect done that. I need to edit it, I didn't notice that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, knitepoet
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    Rock Island guns are excellent contenders in their price range, you chose well.

It's no Springfield TRP nor Dan Wesson, and it's certainly no Nighthawk nor Wilson Combat, but it wasn't meant to be.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Gene L said:
    Rock River if Rock Island?  Rock River is a custom 1911, RI is a basic.  I have a good deal of experience with a RI, good pistol.
    Mines a Rock Island. Autospell/autocorrect done that, I didn't notice until it was too late, and can't figure out how to edit it
    They're fine pistols.  I've owned a couple, own one now and it's a shooter.
    How do you like yours???
    How do you like yours???
    I haven't had or shot a RRA or a RIA. Your story is great to hear though. I hope you get to shoot it soon. 30 years is a long time to wait. I suspect you'll be happy with it.
    Thanks, man!
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    I've had 2 Rock Islands, one in .45 and the one I have now in 9mm. Both functioned very well.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    I own several....no complains other than they are heavy compared to some and their finish seems to be somewhat "soft"...holster wear seems to set in rather quickly....however, neither of those things has any effect on their functionality or reliability...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Thanks for the replies, everyone
    Holster wear is beauty marks.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,851 Senior Member
    I have an RIA in 9MM and love it!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    Holster wear adds character. Shows it's a Workin Man's gun. 💪
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    Gene L said:
    Holster wear adds character. Shows it's a Workin Man's gun. 💪
    Cue the old Chris LeDoux song "Workin' Mans Dollar" ! 😀
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #21
    Aren't the basic frames and slides, etc. for Rock Island and several other brands made by the same foundry in the Philippines?  I believe the company name is "Parhump".  I've build up a couple of their frames into good shooters, using parts kits from Sarco. 
    Idk, but Rock Island has a parent or sister company called Armscor, and they are made in the Phillipines
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 433 Member
    I've had a RIA 45 for a few years and all it does is shoot and I have sold quite a few for them by my friends trying it out then they go buy one so there's my opinion of them
    I read a lot of great comments on the RIA 1911 .45ACP's on a 1911 forum earlier this morning. Including most of them saying how well made, and how good shooting they are, not just for their price, but compared to other, more expensive brands.
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 433 Member
    the new G&A  magazine I got yesterday has a write up on a few 1911s and they spoke good things on the RIA
    edited May 2019 #26
    gunner81 said:
    the new G&A  magazine I got yesterday has a write up on a few 1911s and they spoke good things on the RIA
    Gunner, idk what issue you have, but I just got the June issue from an older friend and he says it has some good a articles on the 1911
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #27
    I found this while looking for a RIA write-up. I don't have one but it looks like a very nice pistol.

And being the keen observer that I am. I only now noticed the TCM ad at the top of this forum. :D

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Some years back, I bought a used RIA compact .45 and fired the crap out of it. One day, the odd double recoil spring mechanism broke. Contacted RIA and they informed me they no longer made that model and they would replace the gun for free! I told them (being the honest sort I am, that I was not the original owner. They informed me the gun was 12 years old and that they would not fix it, but would replace it!!! So, they sent me a postage paid box, and I sent it in. I'd forgotten I had some really nice grips on it, but never fear, they made sure the grips were transferred to the new pistol. 

The new gun is a freakishly accurate little 3" pistol! Great trigger. Tight as a Swiss bank vault. Shoots ball and hollow points to the same point of aim as long as they are 230 grains bullet weight. MIddle target, 5 rounds off hand at 15 yards... Bottom target 5 shots rested at 15 yards. Top target some obscure 9mm.... 

Would I buy from RIA again? Yup.

It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain