Home Main Category General Firearms

Glass for a large caliber , quick acquisition gun

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 360 Member
I'm going to put some glass on my ruger #1 that I purchased a bit ago. The needs is for quick sighting and low mag due to its a 100 yard or less gun. Basically I'm treating it as a dangerous game gun. 
Id not like to break the bank on the scope and looking for a reasonable unit and price.

If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    Leopold 1.5-4 power.  They can be had around $200 quite often.  Holds up fine with a .458x1.8 pushing a 325gr at 2100 fps.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,823 Senior Member
    +1
    Check Ebay for used scopes!
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #4
    I have a VX3 2.5-8x36 on my 9.3x62, I'm really happy with it .
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • North ForestNorth Forest Member Posts: 354 Member
    I put a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 on my FAL and I'm very happy with it.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,143 Senior Member
    I am a BIG fan of 1-4x scopes for that application.  I have two rifles set up with Primary Arms 1-4x scopes.  I’d look at a Vortex or Leopold for a nice rifle like the #1
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    Ok I was looking at that too , thanks guys

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    They discontinued them, but the Leupold turkey scope is ideal for that purpose and were $225 new. It is the one I got on my .430 SJS. You should be able to find a used one off Ebay for a very reasonable price.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #9
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
    That is the scope I had on my .458x1.8.  Only reason I swapped was to have a higher magnification for load development.  I currently have a 2-7x33 Redfield on it.  In the mean time the Leupold has been moved over to my .458WM since I am an idiot and am debating shooting that monster again.
    Thanks , Jerm and Mitdr774, I'm going to end up buying two one for the ruger and one for the marlin lever. both need glass and both need quick acquisition.

Ill have to wait a bit until i get a few checks under me belt. But hey the truck at the moment is not being cranky so I could be in the market sooner. 
    That is the scope I had on my .458x1.8. Mitdr477 is that a modified 458 american? Or is it a custom job for lower michigan deer shoot?

Lower Mi deer cartridge.  Same concept as the American, only shorter.  
    mitdr774 said:
    Lower Mi deer cartridge.  Same concept as the American, only shorter.  
    I see. 

.458 WM and .458x1.8  The 1.5-4 used to be on the .458x1.8

This was just comparing to a .450 Marlin drawing at my max overall length.

Yeah I get around the OAL thingy, I just  use a 10 inch barrel revolver chambered in the 450. Drops them quickly! no tracking. And I have been spoiled on that. 
    Are you doing a compressed load?

edited May 2019 #17
    My max OAL is for my barrel, not the magazine.

I want to say that I am at about an 85% usable case fill right now.  I dont think I can even hit a 100% fill charge with this powder before I go well over max pressure.  I would have to confirm with my load chart this evening though.  325gr at 2100 FPS is enough.  Not sure I really want to push it much more than that, even though I should have at least another 100 FPS left in it.

576 gr seated to just under max length for my rifle.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    Anything 2X or less. Can't be beaten on a rig such as this. I used a 2X scope on a Marlin .45-70 for years and it easily allowed really fast acquisition and made kills cleanly out to 150 yards off hand. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Anything 2X or less. Can't be beaten on a rig such as this. I used a 2X scope on a Marlin .45-70 for years and it easily allowed really fast acquisition and made kills cleanly out to 150 yards off hand. 
    Thanks Dan,
     Which scope and reticle pattern did ya use?

My max OAL is for my barrel, not the magazine.

I want to say that I am at about an 85% usable case fill right now.  I dont think I can even hit a 100% fill charge with this powder before I go well over max pressure.  I would have to confirm with my load chart this evening though.  325gr at 2100 FPS is enough.  Not sure I really want to push it much more than that, even though I should have at least another 100 FPS left in it.

576 gr seated to just under max length for my rifle.

Whats the powerd ya using?
     Id like to get the lever rounds and thr Ruger #1 rounds moving a bit faster and a bit more energy down range. 
    With my 300-325gr jacketed bullets I use IMR 4227 or W296 mainly.  With the cast lead it varies from Trail Boss on through an assortment of "shotgun" powders.  While these powders work in my rifle with the short cartridge, they may not be a viable option in the longer .450 Marlin.  I assume IMR 4227 would be safe, but that is purely an assumption on my part and by no means a stead fast recommendation.

If I had to guess I would thing that you would probably have best results with powders like H322, H335, or either of the 4198 options.  Just a guess on my part through.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    I believe it was a Bushnell and it was no longer made. Just a plain old cross hair scope. Nothing special. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    I have two 100 yard rifles, a .44 magnum wearing a Millet 3moa red dot and a .45Colt wearing a 1.5 x 5 Redfield.  Either would work well on your rifle. I would choose the red dot for several reasons.  Instant target acquisition, no parallax, and only one point of aim.  Keep yer powder dry........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO