Home Main Category General Firearms

My “Stoooopid” AR Build - Ideas

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,370 Senior Member
Having completed my simple carbine build, I decided that I enjoyed building it myself. I am in the process of gathering parts for my monster blaster.

Purpose: I am celebrating the end of my exile to a the People’s Republic with a build “just because I can.”  While I could conceivably use it as a hog killer, the main purpose is to go big, loud and obnoxious.

1) I am looking at doing a .450 Bushmaster or .458 Socom.  While I don’t reload now, I could conceivably try it in 2020 or 2021.  In terms of cost per round (reloading or otherwise), it is my understanding that the 450 is going to be cheaper.  Is that correct?  Since I don’t plan to shoot this thing that often, which one is the most stoopid?  (Remember- Goal -> maximum fun) 

2)  This thing is not going to get shot thousands of rounds per year.  Do I need a “good” barrel or would something inexpensive from a place like Bear Creek Arsenal be OK?  So far, I have found really expensive barrels or really cheap ones.  Generally, I like to buy “Honda” quality not Kia or Mercedes.

Thanks. 

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    I haven't researched it, but my gut tells me that.450 Bushmaster is the round that will cost less because it is chambered in more rifles. Barrels? Expensive barrels tend to be more accurate than cheaper ones. Since I doubt you are looking for match accuracy, I do not feel a Kia barrel will make any noticeable difference for you over the Mercedes.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    These kids in my hood with powerful car speakers that make percussion redundancy that rattles the windows are as loud and obnoxious as one can get.

But this could be a close second.
    https://www.bighornarmory.com/product/ar500-500-auto-max/
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    If you want obnoxious, how about the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer? At least the bullets would be cheap!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Every time I think about building a big bore AR I decide against it because I don't think I would shoot it much and I don't have a hunting purpose for one. If I was to throw one together I'd look at .375 SOCOM. 
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,962 Senior Member
    Have you considered the 50 Beowolf? And to be extra obnoxious, don't forget to have the barrel cryo-treated.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I see .450 BM being around longer than. 458 SOCOM.  When it comes to reloading I see the. 450BM also being the more economical of the two as well. 
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    The .50 may have been around longer, but I really only see one store shelf option for ammunition.  At least with the .450 BM you have several manufactures offering ammunition that can be found on store shelves.  I can only recall ever once seeing .458 SOCOM factory ammunition on a store shelf.

If you are ordering online then you do have more options of course.  I am just going by what I see on store shelves when I am out and about.

If I had to pick a factory offering of the three then I would go with the .450 BM.  

Having been at the range while someone was shooting a .450 BM with a muzzle brake on it, obnoxious is not even close to describing it.  I had to stop early and go home due to the headache I was getting from it.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,764 Senior Member
    I have no opinion as to which big-ash bore you should choose; I've no experience with any of them.  I will say this: I would not worry about barrel longevity with those calibers as the throat erosion will be minimal with these big boomers.  You might want to get a barrel that is chrome lined to ensure maximum longevity.  As was stated by Jermanator, the more expensive barrels will be more precise and I don't think that's what you're going for here.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I can't help you because I am an old fart that is only obnoxious in his daydreams. I guess it is my "gentlemen are not obnoxious" upbringing, by Oklahoma share-croppers. I've never even 'dumped' a 20 round mag. So, take this opinion with a grain of salt.

The cheapest Palmetto .308 AR components could be assembled into something that would probably 'blow your dress up' enough to make you smile, with the added bonus being that you would actually enjoy shooting it, in excess of the 100 rounds you will probably fire through the boomer.

Sorry to be so uncool, but I am in my grandpa mode, at the moment.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    I can't help you because I am an old fart that is only obnoxious in his daydreams. I guess it is my "gentlemen are not obnoxious" upbringing, by Oklahoma share-croppers. I've never even 'dumped' a 20 round mag. So, take this opinion with a grain of salt.

The cheapest Palmetto .308 AR components could be assembled into something that would probably 'blow your dress up' enough to make you smile, with the added bonus being that you would actually enjoy shooting it, in excess of the 100 rounds you will probably fire through the boomer.

Sorry to be so uncool, but I am in my grandpa mode, at the moment.
    No worries.  I have always had a screw loose and wanted to do some strange things like this.

If I win the lottery, I plan to get one of those giant civil war siege mortars and have it mounted in my front yard.  😇
  • GilaGila Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    If I were going to build one, I'd do it in .338 Lapua Magnum.  That would make for a mighty useful AR...
    No good deed goes unpunished...
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I went with the Beowulf and never looked back. Plenty
    of ammo available online.
    its also a.50! I’ve been rolling my own for years, easy round to load.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,087 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #14
    timc said:
    Especially when you claim to have "stolen" my load ;)

I still say you can't "steal" something that was freely given to you :D:D:D:smile:

Translated: I have a 50 Beowulf also. 335gr of HP goodness @ just over 1800 fps
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    timc said:
    Especially when you claim to have "stolen" my load ;)

I still say you can't "steal" something that was freely given to you :D:D:D:smile:

Translated: I have a 50 Beowulf also. 335gr of HP goodness @ just over 1800 fps
    That’s what made it so easy, I didn’t have to develop the load! ;-)
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,370 Senior Member
    I ended up going with a 450 Bushmaster barrel for the project.  Unfortunately, I probably will put the project on hold until Winter as I bought a Lab puppy who will need training.