Home Main Category Clubhouse

Work

KMT2KMT2 MemberPosts: 360 Member
Ok,
 It looks as if I have a full time position. I have been hired in to Pride Care Ambulance service out of Kalamazoo Mi. Pay sucks but they are willing to work around classes . Bad thing is I'm not in Kalamazoo but in the Western  area. Of which I have general street knowledge to get to the cities and villages but not fine detail of the other roads. But I'm hoping that will soon pass as an issue and I can get through my orientation. 
Good thing is I will not have to worry about loosing all my money to the govt in taxes, just only half. 
If you think OHSA is a little town in Wisconsin you may be in trouble!
Peace is firing my guns or 60 feet below the surface of the water.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Ive seen EMS and police get confused and disoriented in route regularly. Likely the fault of people requesting help more than not. Some occasional error will be ok at first I'd think.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    Don't they use GPS ?
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Don't they use GPS ?
    I was just about to ask that. I've traveled all over the country with a cheap Garmin GPS and I've never had an address that it couldn't find. The first time I went to a SE shoot with it, it took me right up to Jerry's house and that place is waaaay out in the boonies.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    GPS can usually tell us where we are. Not as good as revealing the location of others. Once in particular I flagged down EMS to direct them under the overpass they were then on top of. Work place emegencies sometimes involve a multi-acre complex with a single address. On and on.......
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,914 Senior Member
    If you enter my address in GPS it will miss my house by a block.

You will get lost...it happens...and if your dispatcher isn't helping you get to where you are going, they are not doing their job...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • KMT2KMT2 Member Posts: 360 Member
    Yeah we have GPS, and a CAD system, but it sucks all. Like Jayhawker said ya can be a block off. But I do look for BARTS( big ass red trucks) They will get ya close.

\ Oh about GPS I know of an angle flight that was unable to find the LZ and they were a 1/2 mile away and 1000 ft up. They sort of could not see the big flashy red lights 
    Well I'm done with two 24 hours shifts. A bit tired but ok. Interesting though, I did learn that 92 mph a transit van and a laone 90 corner pitched to the center does not work well.
     Did a lil 4x4 and well was able to get it back on the  hard stuff. If it would have been any steeper I would have rolled the darn thing. Ill be back at it this wed. so it is interesting.
     Lots of downtime with short bursts of energy.

Our ambulances were governed and equipped with overspeed detectors...92 mph would cost you your job..on the spot...
    Ambulances are overweight, top heavy and underbraked...a recipe for a wreck... don't become a statistic ...no emergency is that much of an emergency....
  • das68das68 Posts: 662 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #10
    KMT2 said:
     I did learn that 92 mph a transit van and a laone 90 corner pitched to the center does not work well.

did you have your special boots on?

Jayhawker said:
    Our ambulances were governed and equipped with overspeed detectors...92 mph would cost you your job..on the spot...
    Ambulances are overweight, top heavy and underbraked...a recipe for a wreck... don't become a statistic ...no emergency is that much of an emergency....
    Yeah I hit the governors on it. No monitor on the unit though. Oh yeah this sucker is top heavy. I knew enough to not hit the breaks and or steer hard. It would have been very bad. 
    Lesson learned. Was not needed to be that fast. Bear was it was an excruciatingly long priority one run. Even the medic stated after that we should have stopped at a level three in route . 

Yeah my special boots were not on and I could have used them.

It's always puzzled me that the folks who build ambulances don't include magnetic retarders in the brake systems like we had on our fire trucks...(another chronically overloaded and underbraked vehicle)
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 767 Senior Member
    I can only get to 80mph in our ambulance 
    Jayhawker said:
    It's always puzzled me that the folks who build ambulances don't include magnetic retarders in the brake systems like we had on our fire trucks...(another chronically overloaded and underbraked vehicle)
    Yeah, I believe we will have that in the mods we get next. 
    Seems that I got off my orientation a bit quickly. My FTO and super  worked together on friday night. 
    I was told that Im full time know.