Home Main Category General Firearms

Couple new toys. One of which a Grail Gun!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 24,772 Senior Member
Yeah, the old guns have been a recent interest of mine. The previous 6.5x55 Swede and the Doe I took with it this last season. 

Well, fortune and opportunity shined not twice but three times through a forum member who afforded me the opportunity to acquire two of his guns. 

8x57 JS Mauser in Yugo M24/47 flavor. 

Which was a recent desire fulfilled in relative short order. 

And a .303 British Enfield No.4 Mk 1!!

Which has been a Grail Gun since I was young and watching old war movies. 

Running 170g Hornady RN in the Mauser and 174g Hornady RN in the Brit have yielded pleasing preliminary results at 50 yards. 

I need to do some more thorough testing at 100 yards. But, I am well placated at the moment. 

Enough to take them pig hunting.........

Happy and grateful camper, I am. 
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,118 Senior Member
    Those are nice.
    Long history there for both military and sporting use.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,980 Senior Member
    Great guns.  And apparently, in excellent shape.  You might want to go on Gunboards.com....they specialize in military rifles and there is a wealth of knowledge there on both these rifles.

Those two I have in those calibers are sporterized.  And in wonderful shape, as well.  The 8mm is an I bore (J-bore, but the German letter for I looks like a J, stands for Infantry.)  Actually, I have just remembered a third one; need to slug the bore.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,308 Senior Member
    Great finds.
    I shot my very first deer with a 303 British, much like yours. Wish I still had it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,201 Senior Member
    Very nice! Especially the Enfield ,which I'm partial to....You know they used to shoot a 1000 yard match in England with those...so...any plans to stretch it's legs?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,772 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Very nice! Especially the Enfield ,which I'm partial to....You know they used to shoot a 1000 yard match in England with those...so...any plans to stretch it's legs?
    I mounted a 2x Galaxy Scope with an S&K (no drill) base. So, there is possibility. 
  • ShannonHayesShannonHayes Posts: 211 Member
    I had a 6.5×55 Swedish Mauser at one time. Great gun! My Dad had an Enfield .303 years ago, it was also a great gun!
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,581 Senior Member
    Very pleased to watch you enjoy your new/old rifles.  
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Nice , Elk Creek, it is a beauty!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,667 Senior Member
    Er, um you mean Zee?🤣
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Elk creek said:
    Er, um you mean Zee?🤣
    Yes, sorry, my bad
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Very nice, those old shooters are fun to have and shoot. You are definitely rounding out your collection.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,466 Senior Member
    Seems I'm spreading some kind of disease;)

Do some homework before you tear into that No.4.  It's a lot more straightforward than the No.1, but the forend bedding system of both is the product of SERIOUSLY mad genius.  Lessons learned from working on the 2 receiver screw Mauser family do not apply.

Roger Wadham's book - very helpful: https://www.amazon.com/2012-Complete-Book-Enfield-Accurizing/dp/1471603113/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Roger+Wadham&qid=1558294496&s=gateway&sr=8-1

He also has a number of YouTube vids up under the handle of Enfield Accurizing

Even if you don't need to mess with the gun, it's good to learn what's actually going on in there.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Those are nice!
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,466 Senior Member
    Thanks! Got lucky with both.  The No.1 is a 1953 arsenal rebuild on a 1918 receiver.  I'm probably the first guy to shoot it since the re-work.  I hunted down a pre-1916 rear sight leaf so that I'd have a more sophisticated windage mechanism than drifting the front blade back & forth.

The No.4 had some sickness in the rear sight that required replacement of a couple bits, but was also pretty much a new gun.  It actually came home as a set with a P14:

Unfortunately, pic of the recently snagged 1917 isn't uploading  :(

I've got to hand it to the Brits of that time - they had a very solid understanding of what "weapon of war" meant.

Besides, who doesn't like to hang out with a bunch of strippers? ;)

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,030 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #16
    I've always been a Mauser fan!! I bought an Enfield #1 just for giggles and it really impressed me as far as accuracy and handling. It's one of my favorite milsurps. Now a nice 7.7 **** would round out the trio. :)

Glad to see you have caught the fever!! >:) 

The **** are an abbreviation for Japanese!!
    Thanks. 

Not really interested in the 7.7 right now. I would like to find a 7x57 in some configuration appealing to me. And, would love to have an ‘03 Springfield. But, not at the prices they are demanding. 
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,526 Senior Member
    You need a Mosin.  It'll make you appreciate... pretty much any other rifle.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Ha!