Home Main Category Personal Defense

Black Bear country

2»

Replies

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    Speaking of odd noises, there's nothing like curious carabao waking you up in the morning.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Colorado SpringsPosts: 7,801 Senior Member
    Heavy breathing close by in the dark will raise your hackles, for sure. In unfamiliar country, I once chambered a round and awaited daylight without moving for what turned out to be a sleeping cow.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Central MNPosts: 14,577 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #34
    First camping trip alone with friends, the summer after 7th grade, we had a food and gear tent and a sleeping tent, momma bear and two cubs showed up in June and went through the side of the food and gear tent and proceeded to chow down, our tent was 5 feet away, that was fun to listen to 1/2 the night, she showed up a couple of hours after dark, we were too scared to yell for fear she would attack because of the cubs and too scared to venture out of our tent for the same reason, we sucked it up and slept with our knives and a hatchet, we were in a nice state park campground. The stress got to one of my friends and he puked on my sleeping bag, my dads army surplus down bag he used in boy scouts, had it hanging on a lawn chair drying the next day and one of the geniuses put the Off! can in the fire pit, coals from the night before were still hot, dad was not happy about the burn holes 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,255 Senior Member
    I’ll be taking the family to Yellowstone next summer.  I’ll be carrying bear spray and a sidearm of some sort.  More worried about people than wildlife, but the whole point of being prepared is not just playing the odds.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Heavy breathing close by in the dark will raise your hackles, for sure. In unfamiliar country, I once chambered a round and awaited daylight without moving for what turned out to be a sleeping cow.

Mike
    Comes clean Mike, you tipped the cow didn't you?
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,255 Senior Member
    Heavy breathing close by in the dark will raise your hackles, for sure. 

Mike
    This is a great out of context quote
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Heavy breathing close by in the dark will raise your hackles, for sure. 

Mike
    This is a great out of context quote
    Could also be the start of a snarky redneck joke.

I think this could be Sig-worthy. Out of context of course!

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    In the true spirit of an enabler, I suggest that you use this 'opportunity' as an excuse to buy an 18" pump shotgun. I used a similar far-fetched 'feral hog defense' ploy, to justify adding a 20" rifled slug barrel for my wife's (snicker) 20 gauge 870 Express, for my permanent inventory. I snuck in a Burris Fast-Fire red dot, and ended up with a fairly cheap, compact 'rifle' that would consistently lob a 1/2 inch plus chunk of hard lead into a two inch circle, at a hundred yards. Cool gun, but I never managed to try it out on a hog.

As for bears, I know nothing except what I've picked up on these kinds of threads.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Global NomadPosts: 6,052 Senior Member
    edited May 2019 #40
    *First things first: your chances of running into issues with a bear or other wildlife are slim to none as long as you don’t treat the great outdoors like a petting zoo*

For what it’s worth, I’ve faced a similar dilemma (lots of hiking in bear and cougar country) and I’ve opted to just carry my usual EDC (G19 w/ RMR and 124gr HSTs). My logic:

- Stress, and the reduction of conscious thought and fine motor skills during very high stress. In a fight-for-your life scenario I want to eliminate EVERY variable possible. To me, variations in your EDC are an easily avoided variable. Sure, you can shoot various handguns on a flat range with similar proficiency, but what about when you add ultra high stress? Getting charged by an animal certainly counts. 

- Familiarity. See above. For every round fired out of any other handgun I own, I probably have 100 out of my G19. This is in no way, shape, or form an exaggeration. Chips are down and Smokey the Bear is charging me? My manual of arms is identical to what I do in competition or in the classes I’ve taken. Why? Same damn gun.  

- Utility and ease of carry. My G19 either goes AIWB, or on a chest rig. It’s light enough that it never bothers me. I’m not lugging around a shotgun at low ready, or carrying a 4# Ruger Redhawk lopsided on my hip. 

- Inconspicuous Profile. A handgun on a belt probably won’t even get noticed, and a concealed one definitely won’t. Lugging around a shotgun at the low ready, or even slung? Even if two-legged strangers aren’t bothered by the presence of a long gun, they’ll definitely NOTICE. Grey man advantage blown. 

- Likelihood of Adversary. Let’s be real, two-legged predators are far more likely a risk than 4-legged ones. 16 rounds of 124gr 9mm will do plenty against them. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Just look poor and wear cheap cologne -- the cougars will leave you alone.

• bisleybisley Senior Member East TexasPosts: 10,815 Senior Member
    *First things first: your chances of running into issues with a bear or other wildlife are slim to none as long as you don’t treat the great outdoors like a petting zoo*

For what it’s worth, I’ve faced a similar dilemma (lots of hiking in bear and cougar country) and I’ve opted to just carry my usual EDC (G19 w/ RMR and 124gr HSTs). My logic:

- Stress, and the reduction of conscious thought and fine motor skills during very high stress. In a fight-for-your life scenario I want to eliminate EVERY variable possible. To me, variations in your EDC are an easily avoided variable. Sure, you can shoot various handguns on a flat range with similar proficiency, but what about when you add ultra high stress? Getting charged by an animal certainly counts. 

- Familiarity. See above. For every round fired out of any other handgun I own, I probably have 100 out of my G19. This is in no way, shape, or form an exaggeration. Chips are down and Smokey the Bear is charging me? My manual of arms is identical to what I do in competition or in the classes I’ve taken. Why? Same damn gun.  

- Utility and ease of carry. My G19 either goes AIWB, or on a chest rig. It’s light enough that it never bothers me. I’m not lugging around a shotgun at low ready, or carrying a 4# Ruger Redhawk lopsided on my hip. 

- Inconspicuous Profile. A handgun on a belt probably won’t even get noticed, and a concealed one definitely won’t. Lugging around a shotgun at the low ready, or even slung? Even if two-legged strangers aren’t bothered by the presence of a long gun, they’ll definitely NOTICE. Grey man advantage blown. 

- Likelihood of Adversary. Let’s be real, two-legged predators are far more likely a risk than 4-legged ones. 16 rounds of 124gr 9mm will do plenty against them. 
    One more plus to carrying a 9mm:

You will be continuously aware that a 9mm is weak medicine for bears, so you should be less likely to jump to the conclusion that you should shoot, while you still have other options.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    G19's are good pistols. I always watch for bear droppings that may contain one.

That's a jo- I say that's a joke son!🐻😄
    G19's are good pistols. I always watch for bear droppings that may contain one.

That's a jo- I say that's a joke son!🐻😄
    Hmm

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,944 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    i was thinking about my coach gun with some slugs as well.
    That would work. If it shoots them well. Otherwise, I would pick a .44 Mag or .357 Mag as a more portable line of defense. 

What other options do you have in handguns besides the 9mm?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Dellrose TNPosts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Leave a big trail of slippery scat so Smokey Bear can't get any traction.
    Awareness, Avoidance, Bear spray, Sidearm... Beyond that enjoy the outdoors.