Home Main Category Clubhouse

Teach is gone

1235»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    MY 3/4 ton diesel 4WD pickup sits high, and it came that way. That's why the drop hitch is never taken out of the receiver. It's to stop the little 'beep-beep' cars from running under the rear bumper and smacking the rear differential because the little 'beep-beep' cars and the idiots driving them like to tailgate. I do radiator extractions for free! :D
    The big 6 cyl. Cummins diesel in that truck makes some LOUD thumpa-thumpa  noise when running (I got the POWA!), and it drowns out the 'massive noise' of any motorcycle until they are at or in front of the driver's side door of my truck. And THAT is assuming that I've not got the radio cranked up listening to some good OLD rock 'n' roll at high volume. The ONLY reason I notice a motorcycle overtaking from behind is because I watch the side view and rearview mirrors constantly, and that's for motorcycles AND beep-beep cars sneaking into what would be the blind spot and camping out at the left rear wheel. Gotta watch out for the el stupidos on the road because they're too brain dead to do it for themselves. As to tailgaters, if they are in a beep-beep and get close enough I can't see them over the tailgate. Sucks to be them if I have to emergency brake. Like I said, I do free radiator extractions.
    Drive like you have more than two viable brain cells whether you're on a motorcycle or on a 'cage' and you'll save more lives than a set of loud pipes will. That is my PSA for today.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    Somehow I get the image of a huge Dodge 4x4 with massive truck balls. Am I in the "ball"park?
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,830 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    ...camping out at the left rear wheel...
    What is it about people who do this, or sit just inside the rear bumper of a trailer?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    Spk said:
    Somehow I get the image of a huge Dodge 4x4 with massive truck balls. Am I in the "ball"park?
    It's bonehead stock except for the drop hitch for pulling a trailer without dragging the rear of the trailer on the pavement, and an airflow tailgate since I accidentally destroyed the stock tailgate.  Here's the truck. IT'S THE SAME AS IT CAME DELIVERED TO THE DEALER. I DON'T NEED NO JACKED UP TRUCK TO MAKE MY WEENIE FEEL BIGGER.

― Douglas Adams
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:
    What is it about people who do this, or sit just inside the rear bumper of a trailer?
    Really poor intelligence is my guess. As in only two brain cells; one on life support and the other soon to be on life support.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,607 Senior Member
    That looks like a standard working truck to me. I had something much more drastic in mind.
    I'd post a pic but we're a PG forum now.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,830 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    zorba said:
    tennmike said:
    Really poor intelligence is my guess. As in only two brain cells; one on life support and the other soon to be on life support.
    Pretty much. I may or may not have ever started edging over if I needed to change lanes - esp. when the idiot slows down *with me* to maintain his position.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #130
    snake284 said:

Either the forum's auto correct is squirrely or I just flat out made a stupid typo. I suspect the latter. I'll correct it. I meant to say it like this (as in bold):

"One thing that pisses me off is noise pollution. Nobody here enjoys the sound of some idiot revving his unmuffled Buzz Bike to 10 Grand when you're in the comfort of your home! However nothing is sweeter to my ears as a well tuned hot rod or dragster screaming down the strip at 6 grand and smoking tires. But there's a time and place for it and that isn't on the public streets. When at my house I have a right to peaceful existence."

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    edited June 2019 #131
    Spk said:
    Most modern vehicles have interiors to muffle outside noise. Roads are noisy places. Crowded roads are even noisier. So a vehicle with it's windows rolled up and a distracted driver behind the wheel is someone to steer clear of no matter how loud your bike is.
    I've seen my share of distracted drivers oblivious to ambulances wailing their sirens and blowing their horns. It happens!
    Don't be over reliant on a loud bike to keep you safe.
    Just sayin'.

You damn right it happens. More than once I've been cruising along to the radio and happened to glance up at the rear view or side mirror and right off my bumper is an emergency vehicle with more lights blinking than a football stadium at half time at the Super Bowl. That's down right embarrassing.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,626 Senior Member
    To the "fella" that PM'd me:

Along with my reply (which I screen shotted in its entirety) may I also invite you to perform aerial fornication with a rolling pastry.  If you need clarification, feel free to PM some more. 

If I don't see a PM, I'll know you understood.  I'll be surprised, but I will know. 🤣
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • gatorgator Senior Member Posts: 1,746 Senior Member
    Been riding for 36 years, everything from Hondas to Harleys but have never bought into the loud pipes save lives BS.....I think situational awareness is what saves lives.
    One of my favorite saying is "It's ok to go fast on a motorcycle but it's not ok to be in a hurry on a motorcycle"
    I've ridden with folks whom I feel are a danger to themselves or others...so I don't ride with them anymore. I keep my riding circle small and when I do happen to ride with a large group I ride in the back. I keep distance between me and the rider in front of me. Besides I chew Copenhagen and nobody wants to be behind me anyhow. 
    USMC 80-84
    -96 lbs