Home Main Category General Firearms

The internet's a funny thing

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 13,702 Senior Member
Perusing various online sources, I see lots of folks telling others (usually derided as Fudds) that they need to ditch their "old" guns like 1911s and revolvers and get something new and cutting edge, usually a Glock is advocated.

Okay, I know the 1911's over 100 years old, revolvers even more so.  But to call the Glock "new" or "cutting edge" is to use that terminology only in geological terms.  The Glock was first introduced in 1982.  That's 37 years ago. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand the allure of the Glock.  It's the black rubber doorstop of firearms: simple, not too attractive, and it works as designed with minimal fuss and maintenance.  But to call a 37 year old design "new" is beyond me...
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,833 Senior Member
    I'd like to get one.
    I do not need to get one.
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,586 Senior Member
    While I appreciate the 1911, I cant shoot them.  Its 100% me as others shoot mine just fine, but I shoot them about 12" low at 30'.  .38 Super, 10mm, and .45 ACP and I shoot them all to the same point at the same distance.  Hand it off to anyone else and they will be right on target.

Over the years I have had a total of 3 Glocks.  2 were traded in on a 629 DX and the third is my U.P. camping trip gun.  

I prefer to shoot a wheel gun though.  That is also what I shoot the best anyways.

At least they dont recommend a Hi-Point........
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,542 Senior Member
    In geologic terms, both the 1911 and the Glock have just winked into existence -- in geologic terms.

I've heard the same baseless arguments. I guess we should scrap the M2 50 because it's getting way up there also. Before I forget, we need to replace the hand grenade because that's also a very old design. Many other examples exist but I just don't feel like it right now.

And we need a new battle knife. Something with more plastic ought to do.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,656 Senior Member
    If it doesn't have at least 5 microprocessors and a local area network, its obsolete. Oh, and a subscription of some sort.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,792 Senior Member
    I think the notion of the Glock being "new" is that it probably IS the new 1911 that is going to take 100 years for something else to come along to knock it off its pedestal.

The 1911 answered all of the important questions.  It was solid, reliable, easy to tear ALL the way down, and a blacksmith of its era could probably make a replacement for anything likely to break.

Nobody really answered the same questions to the same level of satisfaction until Glock came along, and IMO, nobody else has answered them as well since (I point and laugh at a lot of them).  It's solid, reliable, EVEN EASIER to tear ALL the way down, and pretty much won't rust, ever, no matter how hard you try to make that happen.  A blacksmith might not be making parts for it, but we have email and next day delivery for our parts orders now, so effectively the same there.

That it's been around for 37 years just says it's mature and worthy of trust.  Considering that the Japanese rolled with the basic katana format for 300 years (BECAUSE IT WORKED), we can think of 40 years old as pretty new CQB tech.  Frankly, I don't care how "new" or "cutting edge" the tool I'm betting my life on is for the simple reason that I don't want to be the corpse by the roadside holding a sign that says "FURTHER IMPROVEMENT NEEDED".  Given that some pistol manufacturers seem to want their customers to risk their lives doing their beta testing for them, just how wise IS choosing "cutting edge" anyway?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,420 Senior Member
    What Bigslug said. It is 'new' until something else 'new' and revolutionary comes along....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,008 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    While I appreciate the 1911, I cant shoot them.  Its 100% me as others shoot mine just fine,

I find it interesting that you admit its 100% you, I have the same problem with Glocks and i know its me, for years I shot a lot of PPC with a 1911 and S&W M-59, did pretty good but couldnt do jack with the Glock

I prefer to shoot a wheel gun though.  That is also what I shoot the best anyways.

I also prefer wheel guns, thats what I grew up with and why my EDC is mostly a Bulldog 44 SPC.

At least they dont recommend a Hi-Point........

Ditto

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT