Intended victims fight back during cellphone robbery.......

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
A would-be robber was killed in New Jersey when his intended victims fought back, police say.

Gian Davis, 30, approached two college students around 1:30 a.m. Saturday and asked to use a cellphone so he could call a cab, the Star-Ledger of Newark reports.

One of the students said he would make the call for Davis, who then asked to shake the student’s hand in thanks, according to the paper. But Davis instead grabbed the phone and hit one of the students in the head.

One of the men lunged to get the phone back and Davis put him in a headlock, according to NBC New York. Then, law-enforcement sources say the other man, a former high school wrestler, pulled Davis off his friend and put the would-be robber in a headlock.

The student was able to subdue Davis by "placing a hold with both arms to restrain the suspect from further injuring his friend," according to a police report obtained by the Star-Ledger.

Once Davis was in the hold, the two students called authorities.

Officers who responded to the call took Davis to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Davis had prior arrests for aggravated assault and theft, according to NBC New York. He was released from his last stint in jail on July 22.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/05/intended-victims-fight-back-during-cellphone-robbery-killing-would-be-thief/?test=latestnews#ixzz1lbET8eNV
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,664 Senior Member
    I wonder what New Jersey law is for killing someone over a cell phone? In Ca he would be toast. Best of luck to this young man.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Somehow although it started out with a request for a cell phone, it turned into aggravated assault, are you recommending that if a guy asks for a cell phone, then gets you in a head lock, no one should help you ?

I have heard this simplistic view before, what starts out as a petty beef over some petty junk, and then escalates into a violent confrontation, the guy also had a history of assault.
    It does not really matter how the criminal introduces or insinuates himself into the situation, the asking to use a phone ploy is quite old, criminals looking to get a victim unwary by making an innocent request for help, then unleashing a violent attack on an unsuspecting victim.

As an example, when I lived in Southern Maryland, there was a late night knock at My door, I was expecting a neighbor to stop by so I opened the door, a vary large man demanded $2, as I happened to have $2 in a shirt pocket, I gave it to him, he then started shoving Me into the apartment, I stepped back quickly and drew a 1911 from a back pocket and snapped off the safety, this took all the fight out of him and he seemed like he almost took the door frame with him as he ran out.

Would you say that incident was over two dollars ???
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,611 Senior Member
    Sounds like that was the hardest $2 that jerk ever "earned".
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    OUTSTANDING!!! Citizens refusing to become victims!!

Not that the criminal deserved to die, but if you start something, anything that happens after that is all your fault. Tough luck for the criminal!

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • 10 AC10 AC Member Posts: 309 Member
    /\ +1
    Teach
    If you don't have a C&R FFL,you really need to consider getting one----it's a license to spend money, though.
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,126 Senior Member
    Here in Florida, the charges would have stacked as follows:

Attempted Robbery by Snatching w/ a Battery (F2)
    Aggravated Assault (F3)
    Attempted Aggravated Battery (F3)

Good for the man coming to the aid of his friend and good riddence to the perpetrator. He won't be missed. I like seeing these articles. It is unfortunate that more convincing light cannot be shed on the fact that all human beings are NOT created equal and that true scurge does exist.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers