Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Starbucks Barista Asks Police Officers To Leave Because A Customer Felt Unsafe

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member

I really don't know what happened here as there are no details in the "news" report. Whatever the reason it seems very wrong.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/starbucks-barista-asks-police-officers-to-leave-because-customer-did-not-feel-safe-police-union-claims/ar-AADWQ1T?li=BBnb7Kz

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    Asking six paying customers to leave because one paying customer felt uncomfortable, see how long that business model lasts for you Mr Barista.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,983 Senior Member
    And underlines the old adage: "All it takes is ONE complaint"...
    That's just wrong.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,139 Senior Member
    Wonder how long a response will be if someone robs the place or a fight breaks out
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    As someone that lives in the hood, one thing I like to see is cops. The more, the better. That barista is a fool.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    It happened in Tempe which is home to ASU so there is a good possibility that the scared individual was a liberal snowflake.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,739 Senior Member

I haven't paid for a cup of coffee in about 14 years, I can't see the fascination young people have with it.
    That said, the cops were doing that establishment a favor just by being there.
    I have to wonder what the reason would be for any patron to feel uncomfortable by their presence.
    Were the officers doing something to warrant the fear? (Doubtful)
    Was the customer doing something? Had done something? (More likely)

I really hope Starbucks re-trains that Barista (or fires him/her, either will do). Btw, is Barista the new word for coffee shop server.

Barista
    : a person who makes and serves coffee (such as espresso) to the public.
    This person should stick to serving coffee. Clearly, public relations is above his/her pay scale.
    So much dumbassery in the world these days.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

It happened in Tempe which is home to ASU so there is a good possibility that the scared individual was a liberal snowflake.

There's also a good possibility that the "barista" was a buddy of the scared guy.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    There is no evidence this event even happened. This started with a tweet from the Tempe Officers Association. No statements from any of the six officers or anyone else in the Starbucks.  

There are many examples of police associations stirring up people on social media accusing "anti-police" sentiment by some group or individual. 

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,117 Senior Member
       CaliFFL said:
    There is no evidence this event even happened. This started with a tweet from the Tempe Officers Association. No statements from any of the six officers or anyone else in the Starbucks.  

There are many examples of police associations stirring up people on social media accusing "anti-police" sentiment by some group or individual. 

Well...since Starbucks issued a public apology, it appears as if it actually happened...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
       CaliFFL said:

Well...since Starbucks issued a public apology, it appears as if it actually happened...

It was on the TV news yesterday. The 6 LEOs became 2. Of course current POTUS has taught us tweets can be inaccurate and exaggerated.
    Jayhawker said:
       CaliFFL said:

Apologizing for the bad press generated. Doesn't mean it happened.

Sgtrock21 pointed out the story has already been proven to be an exaggeration, aka lie. 
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

"Social Media..."

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
    edited July 2019 #14
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    What gets me about these incidents is that instead of the one person that made a mistake having to ware a dunce cap. Peope either want to crucify that person or blame a group of one the collective owners/employer's or two the collective recipients of the mistake.

Reason and moderation have no place reserved in the spotlight.
    Good to have confirmation from more reliable sources.

)O(
    edited July 2019 #17
    From Tempe's police chief:

This story started when someone said  "I feel unsafe around cops".  And the chief decides intimidation is the answer to diffuse the situation. 

Adam J. McCleod

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,201 Senior Member
    CaliFFL said:

This story started when someone said  "I feel unsafe around cops".  And the chief decides intimidation is the answer to diffuse the situation. 

Hope someone films this, much stupidity to go around in Tempe, by all means, pile on, story at 6.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    edited July 2019 #19
    CaliFFL said:

Where, pray tell, is the intimidation? I get crappy service from a businesses employee, I'm going to take it up with the manager, and if that doesn't work, I will take it to corporate...that's how it works...

The issue here is that Starbucks, obviously hires folks who are too immature to deal with uncomfortable situations that pop up in an adult manner...

So would it have been horribly wrong for the barrista to say " I'm sorry you are uncomfortable around police officers...perhaps you should take your business elsewhere...Those officers are paying customers too..."

I also wonder who this "snowflake" for lack of a better term, thinks he/she is...who in hell goes into a business and asks that the proptrietor to ask his customers to leave? What is the people making the customer feel unsafe had been black/brown? Bikers?
    Would the outcome have been the same?
    edited July 2019 #20
    I would think that only criminals would feel uncomfortable around LEOs.
    I'm not defending the snowflake or the barista. 

They had their chance to complain within the Starbucks hierarchy. The police association, not the actual officers involved created this circus. Do you really think six cops meekly walked out with questioning why? 

I'm criticizing the police association for plastering the event on social media WITHOUT taking it to the manager or corporate first. They went as far as putting #DUMPSTARBUCKS on the Tweet because of one barista in one shop. The Tempe police association waited for the twitter reaction to get some traction and began the grandstanding. 

Now the the Tempe chief states "We (plural) WILL (capitalized) be having conversations with the local Starbucks." That is intimidation, especially when the local Starbucks is likely under heavy criticism by the Twitterverse. 

Adam J. McCleod

Since when does having a conversation amount to intimidation by any stretch of the imagination?

Intimidation can only occur if there are threats made during the conversation....

Your cop hate is making you irrational...
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Let some other business have whatever amount of 'free' security that might result from having the police drop in at odd intervals throughout the day or night.
    Here's the dumbassery part:
    A tweet Friday from the Tempe Officers Association said that a barista at the Starbucks, who knew one of the policemen by name because he was a regular, asked the officers to either move out of the customer's sight or leave.

What was he thinking? The officer is a regular, he's there with his co-workers and the barista decides the "needs" of the customer he/she may or may not know is more important than the regular customer he/she does know by name.

What was that conversation like?

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe-breaking/2019/07/06/tempe-police-speak-out-starbucks-barista-asked-officers-leave-fourth-july/1666262001/

CaliFFL said:
    I'm not defending the snowflake or the barista. 

They had their chance to complain within the Starbucks hierarchy. The police association, not the actual officers involved created this circus. Do you really think six cops meekly walked out with questioning why? 

I'm criticizing the police association for plastering the event on social media WITHOUT taking it to the manager or corporate first. They went as far as putting #DUMPSTARBUCKS on the Tweet because of one barista in one shop. The Tempe police association waited for the twitter reaction to get some traction and began the grandstanding. 

Now the the Tempe chief states "We (plural) WILL (capitalized) be having conversations with the local Starbucks." That is intimidation, especially when the local Starbucks is likely under heavy criticism by the Twitterverse. 

So the Officers involved should have caused a scene instead of handling it quietly by their superiors and the baristas superiors?

What else should they do?  OK we will just accept your prejudice actions.  Don't worry, we will come running when one of your customers starts throwing hot coffee at people, but only if our presence does not make people nervous.

We will be having conversations as the chief, union rep and department lawyer.

Jeez, you can not blame everything on the cops, they are mostly good hard working people.  Going against them solves nothing
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,876 Senior Member
    Personally, I don't understand the "Dump Starbucks" reaction as I'm not sure this is Starbucks' corporate policy.  Now I do think the barista's actions were less than wise, and wonder if his/her manager even knew what was going on.  Never-mind the person who was "afraid" of the police being there: that's another matter.
    I'm just here for snark.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,876 Senior Member
    I tend to think most of the modern boycotts are anti-corporate excuses. Not by everyone. 
    I'm just here for snark.
    edited July 2019 #28
    Let's see if I can respond to all of this in one post.

If I was asked to leave any business I'd question why, especially after paying. The manager would be questioned immediately. What I wouldn't do is contact my union rep about it. 

I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but in events such as this involving police, I tend to give the citizen(s) involved the benefit of the doubt. This story smells funny, like there's an agenda at work. Attacking the entire company on Twitter, for example. 

The police associations/unions are publicly attacking anyone who criticizes police, even when the cops are in the wrong. The January no-knock raid in Houston that left 5 cops injured and the home owners dead. The HPD union president went on a tirade about anti-cop attitudes...then it turned out the cop applying for the warrant lied and later was arrested and charged. 

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2019/02/28/323570/a-botched-houston-police-raid-and-its-consequences-a-timeline/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/11/fatal-houston-drug-raid-is-familiar-story-needless-violence-death-destruction/?utm_term=.9a3593e29099

Lastly, you don't have to be a criminal or have a hatred of cops to want to avoid them. After reading hundreds of articles like the one below, it isn't hatred I have. It is a sound distrust of the power they possess and the lack of accountability afforded them by the PD's, unions, and general public. 

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/msp-officer-runs-stops-sign-hit-by-car-arrests-other-driver?fbclid=IwAR3rpNToZUabxyfu-2ie-JOR4PO6qchWpjQbs3TvZlvejT9i4S1AcHIzdOI

Adam J. McCleod

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    For some time now LEOs have been portrayed by the news media and much enhanced by social media as "trigger happy homicidal maniacs". There are a few bad cops. There are a few more incompetent cops. There are many more competent good cops. I know many of them very well. My Detachment Sergeant and I used to meet early Saturday morning at Starbucks before National Guard drill. ( I was the Operations Sergeant and Training NCO) to discuss our goals for the drill weekend. We were in military uniform and there were usually a few LEOs in uniform. The "worst" we "suffered" was being thanked for our service ( He was Viet Nam and I was NATO Stabilization Force in the former Yugoslavia). Some customers also thanked the LEOs. We always thanked the LEOs.       
  • joyjoy22joyjoy22 Posts: 44 Member
    Why will that customer felt unsafe? It is a police officer that we are talking about here. 
    CaliFFL said:
    Let's see if I can respond to all of this in one post.

If I was asked to leave any business I'd question why, especially after paying. The manager would be questioned immediately. What I wouldn't do is contact my union rep about it. 

I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but in events such as this involving police, I tend to give the citizen(s) involved the benefit of the doubt. This story smells funny, like there's an agenda at work. Attacking the entire company on Twitter, for example. 

The police associations/unions are publicly attacking anyone who criticizes police, even when the cops are in the wrong. The January no-knock raid in Houston that left 5 cops injured and the home owners dead. The HPD union president went on a tirade about anti-cop attitudes...then it turned out the cop applying for the warrant lied and later was arrested and charged. 

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/2019/02/28/323570/a-botched-houston-police-raid-and-its-consequences-a-timeline/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/11/fatal-houston-drug-raid-is-familiar-story-needless-violence-death-destruction/?utm_term=.9a3593e29099

Lastly, you don't have to be a criminal or have a hatred of cops to want to avoid them. After reading hundreds of articles like the one below, it isn't hatred I have. It is a sound distrust of the power they possess and the lack of accountability afforded them by the PD's, unions, and general public. 

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/msp-officer-runs-stops-sign-hit-by-car-arrests-other-driver?fbclid=IwAR3rpNToZUabxyfu-2ie-JOR4PO6qchWpjQbs3TvZlvejT9i4S1AcHIzdOI

Brother FFL I don't know what happened in your past, but not all LEOs are bad