Home Main Category Clubhouse

A question for you Florida guys

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 7,941 Senior Member

or anyone else who wants to chime in.  I mentioned Florida because it has to do with Florida gun laws.   I think.

Here's a story I was recently told.  It's supposed to be true, and happened to a man in his late 30s who lives in Florida.

Apparently, a group of 8-9 guys, some of whom are ex-cons broke into this guy's house or apartment.  They beat him up, shot him with his own gun, and threw him into a swimming pool.  Somehow, this guy managed to get out of the pool.  He did what anyone would do in such a situation. 

He called his dad, who lives in Texas.

Dad told him to hang up and call 911, which he did.  Help arrived, and provided necessary medical treatment.  But, he was arrested.  I'm not sure for what, but the story I am hearing is because Florida has very strict gun laws.  It's my understanding that Florida is a very gun friendly state, and has a stand your ground law.

I don't know the man, but I do know the dad, and got the story second hand from him.  There has to be more to the story than I know, but this all sounds very fishy to me.

Am I wrong in my understanding of Florida gun laws?

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,826 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #2
    I can't speak for South Florida, that's a different world,  but here in the panhandle the LEO's encourage concealed carry. I've seen the sheriff at gun shows with his own booth, of course, he was running for election, but he knows who the voters are!!
    The story sounds a bogus, and just a little vague on details!!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Maybe the guy shouldn't have owned a gun due to some legal restrictions?

Like Big Al, there's not enough details for me to really believe it.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,966 Senior Member
    If this actually happened, there's something missing from the story.
    Arrest the victim for being mugged and shot? Only if he was wanted himself. Something's missing. It does sound fishy.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member

This.......If he had illegal drugs in the house having guns in the home at the same time is a felony
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

This.......If he had illegal drugs in the house having guns in the home at the same time is a felony

The only other circumstance I can think of is if there is a minor living in the house, there cannot be an accessible firearm. This was supposed to keep little kids from grabbing a parents gun and playing with it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    I agree with the above posters that there are one or more important facts being omitted from the story you've been told. 

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    Makes no sense to me!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,941 Senior Member

All of these replies pretty much agree with my perception of the story I was told. 

Thanks.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,783 Senior Member
    Sounds like the victim was the subject of a forced collection gone bad.  Cops would have had to find something in the house or his record incriminating the victim to have cause to arrest him, which was probably the reason he called dad instead of 911 first.  Simply having a gun and an attempt at self defense would not be it, specially in Florida.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    .  Cops would have had to find something in the house or his record incriminating the victim to have cause to arrest him, which was probably the reason he called dad instead of 911 first.  

This seems like the only reason he got arrested, but i think there's to much of the story we don't know.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,783 Senior Member
    jaywapti said:
    GunNut said:
    .  Cops would have had to find something in the house or his record incriminating the victim to have cause to arrest him, which was probably the reason he called dad instead of 911 first.  

This seems like the only reason he got arrested, but i think there's to much of the story we don't know.

JAY
    Yep.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Even with all the weirdness going on in Florida right now, even the more liberal areas such as Tampa proper (Hillsborough county) and the Miami area are relatively gun friendly. There is something being left out of this story.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member
    Even with all the weirdness going on in Florida right now, even the more liberal areas such as Tampa proper (Hillsborough county) and the Miami area are relatively gun friendly. There is something being left out of this story.
    i cant speak for Tampa, but having lived a long time in Miami and still have a lot of family there IMO part of the reason for Miami Dade, Broward, & Palm Beach Counties being gun friendly is due to the large Cuban population, even the youngest remember Castro, I personally know more Cuban's with guns and support 2A than I know American's.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    I have been looking for something about this, but my googlefu has failed me.  Not sure how real the story is.  All I can think of was drugs in the house or he was a fellon with a gun.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    IN FLORIDA THERE IS A STATE LAW THAT PREVENTS MUNICIPALITIES FROM CREATING THEIR OWN GUN LAWS THAT OVERRIDE STATE LAW. That said, in Florida anyone that does not have a criminal record or some other legal reason for prevention of owning a gun can have one. The carry permit allows one to carry a handgun around, but without a permit a handgun can be in a car, but needs a two-hand motion to access it (as in a glove box in a holster). In your own home there is no such requirement. The OP leaves a lot of information out, and we could speculate all day about it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    I agree, there is more to the story that has not been told.  I suspect either illegal substances or a criminal record, hence the reason he called his dad before calling 911.
  • Lt.Lt. New Member Posts: 40 Member
    Sounds bogus to me also! I live in south Florida and with the news the way it is, we would have definitely heard SOMETHING about it!