Home Main Category Clubhouse

Never interfere with natures natural selections

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
I was down at my tank (pond for those of you outside of TX) swimming laps.  I was about to climb the latter to get out when a huge dragon fly flew right into a big spider web.  The dragon fly was beautiful and since the spider wasn't on his web I decided to free it so it could do what dragon flies do.  

I broke the web in a couple of places and he was dangling by one thread.  I broke it an it dropped into the water.  Hoping he would fly away but instead he started flapping his wings in the water.  He drifted under the pier about 4' when there was a splash and jaws came up from the deep and enjoyed an easy meal!   I'm thinking it was a small bass but never got a good look, just too fast!

I guess his time and number were up.  I cheated a spider to feed a fish!     
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,093 Senior Member
    Oh well, spiders deserve to be cheated
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    Sounds like you just found out where and what type of lure to fish as well.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,890 Senior Member
    saw something similar last week fishing. Large dragonfly landed on a bit of floating moss when out of nowhere, jaws opened up from below and swallowed the whole mess.

Sako
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,450 Senior Member
    A dragonfly fly on a 6 weight fly rod! Oh good times! 🤣
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    It was the dragonfly's number, and it was up.
    Just had the Mayfly hatch a couple weeks ago here on Watts Bar Lake. Talk about a surface feeding frenzy! EVERYTHING was smacking the daylights out of the Mayflies as they either emerged on the surface or lit on the surface. I'm glad bluegill don't have bigger mouths and piranha teeth! Even the blue and flathead catfish were in the Mayfly feeding frenzy.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams