Home Main Category General Firearms

Proudly carrying a .32 APC

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,808 Senior Member
I've got two, a Walther PPK and a FN 1910 (which is quite a bit smaller.)  I carry them frequently, the PPK more than the FN which is smaller but has no useful sights. I don't feel underarmed and use FMJ bullets, which feed well and in ballistic gel, seem to perform about like a .380.  So, I'm happy to defend my life and honor with a .32 that has a lot less recoil for follow-up shots than a .380.  Of course it's not the best EDC and I don't tote it every day.

I love the FN, a true 5 yard gun, but don't entirely trust this pistol to be safe.  Maybe I'm foolish.  Just a safety on a SA pistol.  I know, I know, it was a Browning design, and is probably perfectly safe, but my mind won't wrap around the no-sight, no DA features.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    I think if  you hit center mass and the perp isn't a drug crazed maniac, you'll get his attention. I don't see anybody lining up to be voluntarily shot with a .32...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,775 Senior Member
    How proud?

Suit and tie?
    Tails?
    Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts?
    Shined shoes?
    Stick pin?
    Custom alligator holster?

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,808 Senior Member
    Yes, all those things.  Bond James Bond found the 7.65 to be extremely effective, but only if you're in formal clothes.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,990 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I think if  you hit center mass and the perp isn't a drug crazed maniac, you'll get his attention. I don't see anybody lining up to be voluntarily shot with a .32...
    That's an odd thing to say, since the perps most likely to line up are the drug crazed maniacs looking for an easy mark -- to satisfy their habits.
    Those in their right mind wouldn't attack a man with a gun (presentation alone would probably do it). Petty criminals might but would probably lose heart once the shooting starts. That's leaves us with the above.
    I would say, prepare to fire more than once, repeat as needed.
    It's still better than going unarmed. And with someone like Gene behind the trigger, the odds are stacked against the perps.
    Just sayin'.
    ;)
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

As an aside, I'd be pretty confident to with an APC in my back pocket.
    :D
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,322 Senior Member
    Spk said:
    As an aside, I'd be pretty confident to with an APC in my back pocket.
    :D
    Now analyze carefully Spk - he's only carrying .32 of an APC in his back pocket, so the question becomes which third of the Bradley, M113 or BMP does he have? ;)

You made the right choice with the ammo.  I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that FMJ is not that bad an option even with the bigger stuff, but with the small, it's pretty much essential.

I like the .32 in the small guns.  In much the same way that a lot of the .40 S&W pistols on the market were originally designed to be 9mm's, most of the old time blowback pocket pistols were designed first to be .32s and later had the .380 shoehorned into them.  The result is a gun that's usually less pleasant to shoot.  HOWEVER, that has changed greatly in the last decade or so with the advent of locked breech .380's - Ruger LCP, S&W Bodyguard, Glock 42, etc...  Give some of those a try - they are A LOT less snappy in the hand.

And yes, that FN1910 is a HORRIBLE CCW choice.  The Walther is a MUCH better option.  In fact, you should box up the FN and ship it to me IMMEDIATELY so that you no longer have even the POSSIBILITY of being tempted to carry it in defense of your life.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,315 Senior Member
    Hey, Zorba wears a dress......you carry a .32 ACP...…..we don't judge.

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,830 Senior Member
    Its a SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

At least, most of the time!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,242 Senior Member

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    I have a NAA Guardian in 32 acp and feel confident that in an OS situation it will get the job done. I have no intention of engaging the BG over 5 yards, That little gun fits in my pocket and doesn't print. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    zorba said:
    Its a SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

At least, most of the time!
    Garter Carry... Have we had a thread like that before?
    🤔

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,999 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #13
    I would think an APC would tend to drag your pants down...perhaps consider suspenders...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,389 Senior Member
    I think my LCP would be much better in .32ACP.

I have fired Desert Eagles and 44 Mags.  That little LCP is the least pleasant Gun I have ever shot.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,808 Senior Member

There are numerous rounds better, but none smaller.  Except maybe a Jetfire .25, which I carried for years and made arrests (undercover) with it.  I don't think it's smaller than a KelTek .32, but it might be.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,715 Senior Member
    I have both too, although the PPk is actually a .22LR (1965 German made); considering only the systems, I think the Walther is a MUCH more safer/practical and almost up to date one (Modern sights will improve it a lot) for a present day CCW.
    With proper ammo in the right/usual conditions of a decently trained armed citizen, I wouldn't feel underarmed with a PPk.

Of course having something else to choose from that wouldn't be my first choice.