Home Main Category General Firearms

Here's a new wrinkle in the .260 Rem-6.5 CM argument

snake284snake284 Senior MemberPosts: 22,394 Senior Member
edited July 2019 in General Firearms #1
This article is old but may help some of you decide which is the better choice, the .260 Rem. or the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Seems the aurthor discovered the same thing I did about RL17. It can boost velocities in certain cartridges as much as 200 FPS over other more conventional propellants. In the .260 it can show gains from 125-175 FPS which even with bullets seated deeper in the case than the 6.5 Creedmoor, makes it equal to or better than the Creedmoor. I found this out with my .250 Savage and I've read about other people having the same experience with a 6mm Remington. It's a 5 page article but very informative. Check it out.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Replies

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I plan on messing with RL-17 in my 6.5 Grendel.  Quick Load is shoing it as my highest velocity powder.  Most loads are compressed though.  I am tempted to try it in my 6.5x55 as well.  I think a 6.5x55 loaded to the same pressure as a 6.5 CM would have better velocity, but since it was developed at a much lower pressure and used in guns not intended for todays higher pressures load book velocity is always a lot lower than 6.5 CM.