Home Main Category General Firearms

AR45 range report

2»

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Well that sucks
    Are you going to send it in for work or a return
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Well that sucks
    Are you going to send it in for work or a return

The upper manufacturer assures me that they can get it to run so I will send it back once and let them try. There is brass rubbed pretty heavily against the bottom edge of the chamber making it pretty obvious that the sharp entry is causing the rounds to hang up. As for the lower, live and learn. I'm keeping one of the mags and shortening it and reshaping the feed lips to see if I can get it to work.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Sounds like a plan, hope it works.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Sounds like a plan, hope it works.
    In the mean time, I'll be stumbling in circles out in the pasture drooling and mumbling to myself. ;)
    We I finally got the upper fixed and it runs like a top! After playing around with buffers and springs, I finally gave up and sent the upper back to the manufacturer which was FM Products. They keep several different lowers to test their uppers on and had to buy a Spartan lower (the brand that I have) to fix the problem with my upper. They had the same problem that I did and after ramping the barrel and beveling the edge of the chamber, it runs! I ran blazer brass, white box, cast ball, and cast SWC's and they all ran with any of my mags and even chambered an empty case most of the time. I got the after market mags to run by taking a razor knife and raising the magazine catch notch on the magazines to make them ride slightly lower in the receiver.
     What I learned from this ordeal was that I should have avoided the spartan lower. It was reasonably priced and available and I guess there was a reason. I also learned that "Joe Bob's" customer service sucks. When I called them about the problem with the magazines feeding, the cs guy rudely informed me that they recommend ONLY the use of Glock magazines with their lowers. When I pointed out that they also sell aftermarket magazines, he just repeated the previous sentence. He also told me that they WERE the manufacturer of the receiver but their website states that they are manufactured for them. As I stated before, I guess there was a reason that the Spartan was the only lower that I could find in stock when I was building this pistol. 
     I also learned that FM is building their own receiver and it will be available in the near future. If I had to do it over, I would either have bought a different brand of receiver or just bought a complete pistol. I eventually want another one in 9mm and I'll likely buy it already built. Here's a current pic.

Fantastic news.  Knew you would get it worked out
    I guess the newer pistol caliber lowers are a bit less standardized than the milspec.
    Most of the patents on AR15's expired in the late 70's but the newness of the Glock mag based pistol caliber carbines has them covered under some design patents and everyone has to make theirs a little different to avoid infringement.