Home Main Category General Firearms

6.5 Creedmoor Precision Rifle--load work begins

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,535 Senior Member
I've decided to have two precision rifles--one 308 Win and one 6.5 Creedmoor--and stop fiddling around with loads for several LR guns. I just don't have the time.  

Enter the 6.5CM...

Specs:

Action: (my own, I'll exclude branding)
Barrel: 20" Criterion, 1:8T, straight taper to .880" @ muzzle
Chassis: KRG X-Ray w/barrel enclosure
Trigger: Timney Calvin Elite 2-stage (may be changing)
Rings: Vortex/Seekins
Glass: Bushnell ERS mil/mil GMR2 reticle 
Bipod: Atlas

Initial load development...

I was......given......seven boxes of Hornady TAP 147gr ELD at work.  I also had some Federal GMM Berger 130gr Hybrid OTM.  The Federal was a consistent 1.25 MOA performer.  Meh.

The 147 ELD on the other hand...

A ten shot group on a 6-8 second cadence of fire between shots. Okay... I can work with this.  "TAP" ammo is not rare, but is sparse. And pricey. But I have brass and bullets are available.  IF they perform out to 600, I'll load up 100-150 and move on out to 1000.  

I like the recoil impulse in this 2500-2600 fps range and I might try to push the V1 up to 2600, MAYBE 2650 fps.  It's a 20" barrel so I'm not working a miracle, but powder selection could help.  H4350 is common to the 6.5CM world, but for a 2650 V1, something different might need to be tried. 

Once I get the 308 built (18" barrel is what I'm looking to do) I'll post up about it.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,850 Senior Member
    looking good so far
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    Good start. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    What’s the underlying purpose of the fast pace between shots?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,535 Senior Member
    No real purpose at this juncture,  just having some fun with it.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    What is your accuracy goal?  Sub MOA, 10 shot strings, in a high powered rifle, shot in 8 second intervals, is amazing in my book.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    BigDanS said:
    What is your accuracy goal?  Sub MOA, 10 shot strings, in a high powered rifle, shot in 8 second intervals, is amazing in my book.
    What it's doing now when I do my part is perfectly acceptable.  The goal now is to load my own 147's and squeeze about another 75-100 fps out of it and keep the same precision. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,228 Senior Member
    Nice looking rifle. I see you went cheap on all components! 😀
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Sweet rifle. 

So let's hear more about this action...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,192 Senior Member
    The shot cadence of 8 seconds per shot comes close to the time requirement for NRA or CMP Service Rifle or Match Rifle Prone Rapid fire string.

70 seconds, 10 rounds, w/ a mag change which probably works out to 5-6 seconds per actual shot. 

Probably not what you are working for, but your current rate of fire and accuracy is certainly respectable 
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    Sweet rifle. 

So let's hear more about this action...
    I don't have the means (large CNC), so the action is produced under ATF marking variance by a very respectable precision rifle action maker.  They make it to the spec I have specified.

It's a more rigid configuration than a standard 700 action, but fits most stocks/chassis made for a Rem 700.  It's also got a mag well cut out for the double stack AI AW magazine, but it also works with the AI AICS magazines.

There are two versions of the action, one with a scope based milled as part of the action and the version in the picture has the removable scope base.