Home Main Category Clubhouse

New Job. Solar Energy

2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    You people have water heaters with tanks? I am talking to a bunch of freaking caveman heathens here!
    Have you had a tankless crap out from corrosion yet? I do like the idea that if the SHTF I do have a tank full of water with the traditional HWH
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    zorba said:What goes on in my house needn't concern the local gov't tyrants. Just sayin'
    Yep
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,294 Senior Member
    zorba said:

mitdr774 said:
    Some localities require that things like water heaters be installed by a licensed "professional".  That could add cost compared to installing it yourself.
    What goes on in my house needn't concern the local gov't tyrants. Just sayin'
    Another benefit of living in a rural area: no building permits or inspectors. 
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #35
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Have you had a tankless crap out from corrosion yet? I do like the idea that if the SHTF I do have a tank full of water with the traditional HWH
    I got one in my house and the prep kitchen. I have had the one in my house running for the last 7 years and have not had any problems except for a flow sensor ($12 and 5 minutes). My brother has had his for 4 years with that awesome Flint, Michigan water and has only needed a flow sensor and he has had to descale it once.

All of the components are made of stainless.

The one in the prep kitchen is only 6 months old but has worked flawlessly. I will be putting them in the food truck and the distillery too.

SHTF water? A plastic 55 gallon drum is your friend if that concerns you. I got a well at the prep kitchen and a well I can fire up at the house if push comes to shove.

The problem with tank water heaters is that you have to keep that mass quantity of water hot all the time even when you don't need it so you wind up losing a bunch of energy maintaining that temp all the time. The solar water heaters I have seen are actually more like pre-heaters where there is a water line that runs through a black panel and the sun brings the water temp from ground temp (say for example, 50 degrees) up to 110 degrees or so-- it takes less BTU for the real water heater to bring it up to temp.

Understanding that basic concept, it would be pretty easy to make a solar pre-heater if you wanted it.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    That's good to know Jerm, thanks hey.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    You people have water heaters with tanks? I am talking to a bunch of freaking caveman heathens here!
    Tankless is nice, but not all of us have natural gas lines.  Natural gas is somewhat rare in Florida and I don't think propane would be very economical.  What I installed in my house last year (yep, did it myself) is ideal for the Hurricane Zone.  Heat pump water heater.  50 gal. tank, runs on a generator and supplies hot water for a family of 5 (including 3 females, 2 of them adults, the other a teenager).  All while consuming 1/2 the electricity my traditional water heater did.

I never knew about those... pretty cool! Up around here, natural gas is so much cheaper on a BTU to BTU comparison that you would be insane to use anything else if it is available.
    -Thomas Paine
    Useful byproduct is that it cools the room it is in as well.....that's where it extracts the heat for the water from.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #40
    I've thought about getting one of those, but we actually have gas here - thank Goddess. They're pricey - but I've never ran a cost analysis to see how the "overall cost of ownership" matches up.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    Do not think Solar has advanced to tankless on demand yet

My solar system heats the water and stores it in a 80 gallon yank.  It is not a system that can be swapped out without knowledge of the system
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:

Do not think Solar has advanced to tankless on demand yet

Don't be so sure about that.  Last time I went fishing on the St. Johns river the water temp was 90.  It was pretty much instantly killing the live shiners we were using for bait.  :D  Then again, I guess the river would be considered a really big tank.....
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,973 Senior Member
    FWIW, I had a Hybrid water heater in Florida for about 18 months, and I have been living with Rinnai natural gas tankless heaters the past 8 months.  Both are worth it.  Endless hot water with the Rinnai is great, and cheap.  The cost saving of my hybrid electric water heater in Florida paid for itself inside 1 year.  Yes it was that much less to run than my old 80 gallon electric water tank.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    I don't live in 'the burbs'; live way out in the country, so no NG to run such things. Do have a propane tank for heating in the winter. That stuff is higher 'n' diesel fuel per gallon most of the time. Kinda like listening to all that high speed internet and movie streaming all y'all talk about. Ain't got that crap, either, out here. Can't say as I miss it, since I never had it, but I do resent subsidizing it for others. :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    They make tankless electric water heaters too. They are actually cheaper than gas to purchase. The trick with those is they take some serious juice to run. You are talking 150 amps of 220!
    -Thomas Paine
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    Wonder what the shaft HP of the electric meter is at 150? :D
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."