Home Main Category General Firearms

Colt 1911

gunner81gunner81 MemberPosts: 422 Member
I'm looking at a Colt 1911 Government series 70 competition I like it over some others and I don't own a Colt yet any pros or cons bad news or good news its a little on the pricey side but in line with other better brands price wise it compares to Sig Kimber  and Springfield

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Been very impressed with the Colts the last few years.  The critical guts are all still forged & milled instead of MIM and they don't go stupid nuts on tightening the tolerances.  You can still find the barest play between slide and frame - which is how it SHOULD be..  They probably have a plastic mainspring housing, but that's easily jettisoned if it bugs you. Like the sights on that model.

Springfield - Good choice.  Shoot and service a bunch of them  More MIM internals, but never had any grief with them.  They use the skinnier .38 Super firing pins on all their models so an actual GI spec .45 one won't fit the tunnel.  Otherwise, they're original spec for the guts.

Sig - Series 80 firing pine blocks and external extractor.  NOT a 1911 in my book.  PASS.

Kimber - if it's got a Roman numeral "II" after the model designation, it's using their copy of the Swartz grip safety actuated firing pin block that Colt tinkered with for about five minutes back in the last half of the 1930's
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #3
    Colt is making a nice gun nowadays.  But, as always, they think their name on the slide is worth a premium over the same or slightly better gun from another maker.  History does not equate to value in my book.  If you are going to charge me more make me understand why and it better not be just because there’s a pony stamped on the gun.  

The good news is that you do recover that premium if you ever sell because Colts have always been a desirable brand even at the times when they didn’t deserve it.

Edited: So I just saw the gun you are talking about on an email from CDNN (?) and at $899 it looks like a very good value.  I should also mention I’m also a fan of their Stainless Commander’s and their Series 70 guns.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I picked up a new stainless series 70 a couple of years ago and am totally happy with it. The trigger is a crisp 4lbs and it has functioned flawlessly with everything that I've fed it. I took it to a SE shoot for others to try and it appeared that everyone enjoyed shooting it and it is every bit as accurate as my limited and open class 1911's and they are both extensively reworked. It will probably be the last 1911 that I ever sell and you won't regret buying one.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #5
    Like Fish I picked up a Colt Combat Cdr in SS.  This gun has been a joy to shoot. The only think that I changed was a set of slim grips. Just having the pony stamped on it, is not make it a great gun. The way it looks, feels in the hand, points naturally and hits where I am it is what makes it great. The super smooth and crisp trigger out of the box doesnt hurt either
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 422 Member
    I am not buying it because it says Colt I'm buying it because I like the gun and over the years I have heard the good bad and the rest about Colt I haven't owned a Colt yet though I have shot revolvers and they are smooth never yet shot a Colt semi
    I bought mine because of a friend's Colt combat elite. He got it from a customer as partial payment on a job and after shooting it, I really wanted one. After shopping around, I saw the series 70 competition and the stainless steel with the blue laminated grips just called out to me.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Lots of good 1911s out there...not willing to pay the premium to have the "Prancing Pony"
    scratched on the side...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:
    Lots of good 1911s out there...not willing to pay the premium to have the "Prancing Pony"
    scratched on the side...

The upper end 1911's by Sig, Springfield, Dan Wesson and even Remington are in the same price bracket as the Colt. I paid for an exceptionally well made 1911, not a pony stamp.
    I bought mine because of a friend's Colt combat elite. He got it from a customer as partial payment on a job and after shooting it, I really wanted one. After shopping around, I saw the series 70 competition and the stainless steel with the blue laminated grips just called out to me.
    I think that is the exact one I'm buying
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    My Colt 1911 has doubled in value from what I paid. My Sig 1911 is pretty much even at what I paid for it. Given an apples to apples comparison i'd buy the pony but that's just me. I like Colts.

Sako
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,352 Senior Member
    gunner81 said:
    I'm looking at a Colt 1911 Government series 70 competition I like it over some others and I don't own a Colt yet any pros or cons bad news or good news its a little on the pricey side but in line with other better brands price wise it compares to Sig Kimber  and Springfield

Note that i have not bought a NEW colt in years.

But put some thought into what you want.  just a paper puncher, shooting gonads off flys at 50 ft...ect.

There are many 1911s out there now and if you can shoot any, i would take any you can find and test fly them to see what you think.  

I would also look at any and all of the bells and whistles you can get on a 1911.  Some you can add if your competent with tools and some you may need a gunsmith to add and make work.  

at one time RIA put out some nice 1911s for the money  and the bells and whistles that were OTF and Stock.

Im not sure if you are a 1911 purist or MIM fan or hater, but its up to you to know yourself and what you want and dont.  but again, look at the different options that are out there that will fit your wallet.  After all, $$$ will be the decided factor.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    edited July 2019 #13
    Got a RIA full sized pistol and a Colt Combat Commander.  I got the RIA second hand from a friend who had originally bought the Govt. Model and then did some add-ons...sights, a beavertail grip safety.  He said the MSH pin broke on it, a MIM part, and he replaced it with a non-MIM part.

Both guns are accurate.  Because the Colt hasn't been nearly shot as much as the RIA, it has a slightly heavier trigger...not bad, and it breaks clean.

If I wanted a 1911 for shooting and was looking for a good shooter without a huge price, I would gladly go for a Philippines model.  If I wanted to pay a bit more for a USA gun, I'd again go Colt.  I remember when Colt was the only company that made a decent 1911, so I'm slightly biased.

Hickock 45 tested a Philippine 1911 against a $3000 custom 1911, and had no complaints.  He shot both of them very accurately.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    I already have a RIA and a Para Elite and a Kimber in 1911 although as was said Kimber is not a pure 1911 and I'm not a pureist but I do like guns and in my shooting experience with my 1911s its going to take a damn good gun to top the RIA
    At twice + the price of the RIA I sure hope that the Colt is that damn good gun
    I have been shooting 1911s since I was in my late teens..(67 now) There was a time when you bought a new Colt 1911 and took it in the box directly to your gunsmith if you wanted a serious shooter.  (I shot a lot of Bullseye and "Combat" matches back in the day)

The ONLY Colt 1911s I ever owned that didnt need extensive work were my National Match and my Gold Cup
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    The Gold Cups NM were designed for bullseye shooting....FMJ.  Hollow points?  Back in the day, very dicey.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
    The Gold Cups NM were designed for bullseye shooting....FMJ.  Hollow points?  Back in the day, very dicey.
    Yes...hence the trip to the gunsmith...
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I have been shooting 1911s since I was in my late teens..(67 now) There was a time when you bought a new Colt 1911 and took it in the box directly to your gunsmith if you wanted a serious shooter.  (I shot a lot of Bullseye and "Combat" matches back in the day)

The ONLY Colt 1911s I ever owned that didnt need extensive work were my National Match and my Gold Cup
    Yep.  Colt single handedly almost killed the market for 1911s.  BUT without them we would have never gotten the slew of brilliant 1911 gunsmiths that cropped up in the 70s-80 and the newcomers that saw an opportunity to make a classic better like Kimber and Springfield Armory.  So yay Colt!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Squawk BoxSquawk Box New Member Posts: 69 Member
    I have a Colt MK IV, which I bought new, many years ago. Today, I would look hard at a S&W, or a Ruger, a Springfield, et al.
    I don't have the brand loyalty now, that I had 40 years ago: because the selection is so much greater now, and there are a lot of very good .45's out there.
    No brand loyalty wasn't even going to buy a gun but this Colt caught my attention and for a few days I talked myself into it and out of it and into it won. The price was in line with some of the other brands and cheaper than some and yes I could have spent a whole lot more on one the 1911 is one gun that is all over the board price wise