Home Main Category General Firearms

G43 vs G26 Review

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,348 Senior Member

Today, I decided to take the new Glock 43 out for some range time.  Specifically, I wanted to shoot it head to head against my G26.  With the G26, I also wanted to test out some Magpul magazines I had purchased.

G43:  until you sit down to load it, the six round capacity doesn’t really hit home.  Basically, I am now carrying a J frame revolver in a boxy looking package.  

- Compared to the G26, it is much easier to load mags due to the lower spring tension on the G43 mags.

• I put 100 rounds through it with zero malfunction. Typical, Glock reliability. 
  • Although the 9mm round is more powerful than a .380, the G43 was much easier to control than my LCP.  Plus, the size penalty vs. the LCP is not significant.  I won’t be packing the LCP if I can possibly carry the G43.
  • The mag with the pinky extension makes it very easy to shoot. 
  • People with big mitts might struggle with the thin profile.

G26: it worked flawlessly with both the factory mags and the Magpul mags (15 rounders).  

• it was easier to shoot accurately than the G43; however, both guns guns were accurate enough for personal defense.  
  • The Magpul mags worked fine, but they lack a way to visually check how many rounds are left in it (unless it is full).
  • With 2 15 rounds mags, it is my nightstand gun. 

Conclusion:  the G43 is a winner for me for concealment.  Unlike the G26, it is thin enough for pocket carry (in a holster) which is important to someone who wears t shirts and shorts most of his non working hours,

Unrelated Rant:  I have a bunch of Thundercruds left over from when the .22 shortage was going on.  I decided to pop off 100 rounds while I was there.  I had low expectations, but they failed to meet them.  I got at least one malfunction on every mag using my trusty Ruger MkIV.  It almost never has malfunctions using decent ammo.

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,394 Senior Member
    I liked the G43 - it was a toss up between that and the LC9s that I ended up purchasing a couple of years ago. Nice shooting gun, handles well.

Loading mags: Of course you have an UpLula mag loader...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I liked the G43 - it was a toss up between that and the LC9s that I ended up purchasing a couple of years ago. Nice shooting gun, handles well.

Loading mags: Of course you have an UpLula mag loader...
    I don’t shoot enough centerfire pistol rounds per year to justify the expense.  The simple mag loader that came with the G26 is enough for me.

If it works, that's all that matters!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    I like them both but actually prefer the G43 for it’s slim, slightly mor diminutive size. 

At G26 dimensions, I’d rather carry a 19. 

In fact, once I got my G43, I gave my father my G27 and kept my G23 for that reason. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I like them both but actually prefer the G43 for it’s slim, slightly mor diminutive size. 

At G26 dimensions, I’d rather carry a 19. 

In fact, once I got my G43, I gave my father my G27 and kept my G23 for that reason. 
    I agree with you on the G19 vs G26. I just don’t think the difference is enough to incur the cost of selling the G26 to buy a G19.  
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,519 Senior Member
    No, I agree 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunwritrGunwritr Posts: 3 New Member
    I carry a G43 with a +2 baseplate making it an 8+1. It's small, conceals well, reliable but I am thinking of switching to a SIG Sauer P365. A friend bought one and I borrowed it for a day to shoot. I liked the trigger, sights and larger capacity...
    The P365 is a game changer; Glock and the rest of the industry are trying to catch up! I have yet to shoot one.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,254 Senior Member
    There is a P365 in my future.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I would have certainly tried one if they'd been out when I bought my EDC. I tried most G43 sized guns, and it came down to a neck on neck G43/LC9s. PSA had a blow out on the LC9s, so that's what I ended up with (and I prefer a manual safety). Mossberg et al introducing highly acclaimed 7+1 pistols post P365 is a case of closing the barn door after the horse got out.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,254 Senior Member
    I’ve been carrying a Kahr PM series for a while and it’s a tiny gun that vanishes AIWB.  The DA trigger does not bother me much.  I also have a 43 that does not go out all the much.  Sits higher on my belt, it’s longer on top and seems to print just a hair when I sit unless I reposition it pointing straight at my man bits.  Kind of annoying.  

I spent some time shooting a friend’s P365 and had a chance to tuck it in my waist and I’m sold on the gun.  Damn thing pretty much shoots itself.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”